Pros on Skies

vtmecheng

• Baller

Jamie Bull rode a Syndicate Alpha this year and obviously did fantastic on it. That ski was last made as a 2020 model, which got me thinking. What happens when a sponsored pro finds that the sponsor’s offerings don’t fit well? Is Jamie forced to keep skiing a 2020 or will she have to make something work? Staying on an old design gives the impression that the new offerings aren’t working as well for everyone as advertised. Also, at some point the skier will need a new ski. Unless Jamie has a fleet of Alphas in her basement, that ski was broken down a long time ago (at least by the account of some here and this may be solid proof that skies last quite a long time). I heard from an unnamed pro that they didn’t like the last few years of their sponsor’s offerings, more recent versions are more well received. It has to be frustrating knowing there’s likely something better out there.

Also, how often do pro skiers swap out to a new ski? Do they just have a couple that they alternate between or is it a new ski for every big tournament?

• Administrators

meh. so Jamie found a ski that she loves and for whatever reason has not moved to the new new. I don't see that as a condemnation of the other products at HO.

Many years ago there was definitely some elite skiers not skiing on what everybody thought they were on. In the modern era I think it's very rare and inconsequential.

• Baller

I’m not condemning any company here. Shoot, I have a Carbon Omni and just got a Syndicate Omega Max. I must have done a bad job of asking. I’m wondering what happens when a pro doesn’t like the skies offered by their sponsor. Do they go back a few years or is that looked down upon. I know pros don’t always like the available options. Are they just out of luck for that season? Also, I’m wondering how often pros switch out their skies.

Come on, I’m asking ski related questions that aren’t about octane. Throw me a bone.

• Baller

I think the ski companies all have their own way to handle that situation.

Manon skied a long while on her 2018 GT. Never switched over to the GTR and just this season went with the DV8. Connelly obviously did not have an issue with that.

• Baller
Really nothing new in pro sport in general. Jimmy Connors played with that aluminum T2000 nearly to the end of his career. I think he was still using it 10 or so years after production ended. Lance rode "last years" bike painted up like a new one IIRC. It used to be very common for windsurfing pros to ride custom boards painted up like production boards. When you see so many skiers on so many different rides all running similar scores, I'm not sure us mortals are getting much usable data from what they're on.

• Baller

@vtmecheng we'll never know but Jaimie could very well have been on pre-production Pro with Alpha graphic. She might have had five of them kicking around all slightly different, same with Manon with her GT/GTR/DV8 situation. Fruitless trying to work out why/how/when.

I get your point though, they probably should at least try and get updated graphic on them.

• Baller
On Manon, last I heard is that she rides a DV8 with a tail that she made custom with a file and it took her many hours. Freddie was even making comments about it in a few tournaments, saying that Connelly should make the Manon tail as an option.

• Baller

@vtmecheng That was the impression I got as well.

I can tell it's getting to the silly season where I am not waterskiing as much and not snowboarding yet, because I was wondering something along similar lines like how do pros wind up on skis...do they like the ski and hope to get picked up or does someone say...we like the cut of your jib...learn to ride this.

It is my impression that many of the top skiers have a lot of input into the skis themselves, so it would surprise me to see a top skier not on a new ski (I know Whitney was riding the 22 with 21 graphics).

Does any of this influence my purchasing decisions? No, but it certainly gives me a list of skis I want to try.

• Baller
Whitney said she was on the new Radar even though it had the old graphics. She did not want to change as she loved the ski and it was tournament season. I think this is pretty standard where graphics and year models don't match for pros.

• Baller

Different skis fit different styles, Freddie Winter, went through a whole lot of skis before settling with D3, he has ridden all of their range and ended up on th Ion-S.

Another factor is the mental game, if you are up there competing with the best for a podium, it,s going to be hard to change your ski, if it isn,t broke, don,t fix it sort of thing.

When it comes to a manufacturer developing a new ski, graphics mean nothing, they can apply any graphics to any ski.

Caviat: Do not buy a ski because your favourite Pro is on one, buy a ski thats fits you and the way you ski.

Thomas Degaspri is a shining example of staying with a design that fits you, one of the most consistent skiers out there.

• Baller
Just because a company comes out with an updated mold or new ski design doesn’t mean they destroy the old mold. They will just shelve the old mold. Many ski companies know what there team skiers like in flex and quite possibly a certain mold to pop there ski out of. It might not be the most current bottom design but you can put a top on any ski to look like the current top of the line ski.

• Baller

@dave2ball wonder the lifecycle of a mold. How many skis can be pressed before the surfaces wear too much? I assume they wear less rapidly than injection molds but the entire industry of tool and die and mold making exists because for the most part these things wear out during a production run and need to be replaced or tuned up.

Just saying I wonder if companies that are reiterating skis frequently have the volume that the old mold is starting to need replacement or if the molds are pristine and obsoleted.

• Baller_

@Horton @Deanoski I think there are custom skis made all the time.

The Denali C85 I’m riding (and absolutely loving) was set up custom for me, albeit only the arrangement of the inserts in my case. Thanks @adamhcaldwell @AdamCord !

Lpskier