Why did I quit skiing for 35 years - My driver got the lake, I got the boat.

swbca

• Baller_

[Age 40, 1985] Just found the only video ever recorded during my decades of skiing. Its pretty bad, but it was the summer I ran 35off in 5 consecutive tournaments including the 1985 Nationals. Now after a 35 year gap, I am trying to regain some part of this slalom score but without the bad habits.

Click on YouTube icon, then FULL SCREEN for larger view.

Unfortunately, when I ski now, I have a perfectly clear memory of this flawed technique and repeating it is automatic at this point. I study videos of good skiers and see how its done now. One obvious difference is my off side preturn starts very early compared to many current skiers. They get wide early, stand up almost straight with weight forward, then turn. What can you tell someone who is starting over after 35 years of no skiing ? So far I have my weight down to the same 170 and do a lot work in the gym. Free skied most every day for 2 months. And corrected my reverse grip.

One advantage in skipping 35 years of skiing . . . two guys I know who have competed for 50 consecutive years have had bad injuries . . somewhat inevitable with so much time on the hour-meter.

• Baller

I feel for ya! I spent 38 years free skiing before meeting some awesome ski buds who ski the course. The only thing worse than old school course muscle memory with cobwebs is open water no instruction muscle memory burned in by decades of doing it terribly wrong.

My advice…ski a lot with people willing and able to give small one-thing-at-a-time corrections. It would also accelerate you dramatically if you went to a ski school.

• Baller
What I can tell you is old age is a bitch. I started late (40) course skiing. Progressed steadily, albeit slowly. Never missed any appreciable time, skiing regularly, in course every year. Same weight but due to additional gym time over the last 5 years, stronger. Why my skiing performance has dropped off is somewhat of a mystery. After much thought and consideration, I've come to believe that it's loss of reaction time, and that any bad form is only magnified when one is slow to react to any glitch. My .02. And yes it is troubling and depressing. I could post the same in your other poll thread, I this should suffice.

• Baller_

@The_MS Surprised you are familiar with the lake. If I had stayed on the lake with the motorized submersible course I suspect I would be grandfathered in with this fairly small community of friends. In Minnesota, a course can be UP without a permit except over-night and the Christmas lake owners didn't care since our family had been part of the scenery for 40 years. On my current lake, the locals haven't assumed any Jurisdiction and the DNR says I can have a course during the day and it doesn't require any approval from anyone else. Of course if there are justifiable complaints, all bets are off.

So, when were you here ?

• Baller_
@Jody_Seal I invented the world's first submersible slalom course, but not the one handed gate. I have switched over to two hands now and reversed my previously "wrong" grip. It feels much better on my off-side hookup.

• Baller

I have been on Christmas a few times and always wanted to put a course on it, but lakes like that are impossible unless you live on it. Unfortunately the Wassermann course was slowly killed by the homes the took over the south shore.

Great skiing! Pretty cool to see my local lakes with courses on them from 80's!