What handles last the longest

LK_skier

• Baller
In-Tow spectra handles are the best I’ve used. Masterline are good, but fray and the handle rubber wears faster. I have tried HO, Radar, Masterline, and In-Tow. They are all good products but the In-Tow handles have been the best, by a wide margin

• Baller

@LK_skier I have had the same Masterline handle for going on 5 years. I’ve had it restrung twice where my ski wears against it. Overall, really happy.

Only thing I’m not happy about is that I bought an identical handle as a back up and I probably haven’t used it more than ten times ?

• Baller

@LK_skier what are you asking about lasting? The rubber or the bridle? The wear of the rubber depends on a couple of factors. One are the gloves that are used. Kevlar gloves will decrease the wear of any handle grip. The Kevlar I’ve very abrasive. The Amara gloves will allow the rubber to have better wear and last longer. The bridle wear really depends on the ski you ride and how sharp the edges are. In time any ski will cause a bridle to wear. It does not matter who built the handle.

In Tow may use a softer rubber the Masterline or Radar and HO. and vise verse. Handles are all personal. Get what feels comfortable.

• Baller
@Broussard really? I wonder if it’s just a timing thing on what quality rubber you get and when? I have a Masterline I used for a season and an In-Tow I’ve used for 3. Both with Kevlar gloves. My Masterline has deep hand grooves where my first In-Tow has almost none

• Baller
Keep in mind that most handles have the same aluminum core, so a thicker diameter handle has more rubber to wear. Additionally if you need to have the handle restrung have the handle rotated so you wear the other “side” of the handle.

• Baller_

I know! I know! The handle you don’t use wears the least!

I agree with @dave2ball that how long your handle lasts depends on which glove you use, but there is another side of the equation. I use the Radar Kevlar Boa glove size small and if the stitching doesn’t give out I can get through a year of skiing with two pair of gloves. At $90 per, that’s $180 for gloves and let’s just say $150 for a handle that, due to the Kevlar gloves, last a year. Annual cost totals $330. If I use the Amara gloves, I burn through a pair a month to six weeks, but I’ll get two years out of my handle. At $80 per for the gloves and let’s just say six pair a year and $75 for that same $150 handle amortized over two years the cost is $480 +75=$555. So in my experience, it’s about $225 cheaper annually to tear up handles than it is to burn through gloves.

Lpskier

• Baller
I use Proline Tractor Grip Radius and it has lasted a few years now with no wear. I think the tractor grip prevents the hands from sliding across the rubber, so it doesn't wear as fast. I also use non-kevlar gloves, so that's probably part of it. The kevlar gloves were too stiff in really cold water, which made it hard to grip the handle. The tractor grip sure makes it easy to hang on to. No issues with blisters. I only ski about 3 times a week however.

• Baller

Here is my take on Handles/Gloves, Kevlar Gloves are going to wear the handle out quicker than Palm Gloves.

The Handle will last longer with Palm Gloves but Palm Gloves will wear out quicker than Kevlar Gloves.

End Result Is, you are going to be replacing either Handles or Gloves.

• Baller_
I have seen pro skiers use a rope every day for a year. My Masterline Optimized 2 rope is a year old and shows little sign of wear or stiffness. I think the “60 set rule” is malarkey. Who goes through 6 ropes a year? Not me…

Lpskier

• Baller
@lpskier the question was not directed to us the amateur. But how often do the the pros change out. We do not place the same load on ropes as the pros do. I go through 3 -4 ropes a year. Most skiers don’t know when the rope has lost there life. Wear is not the only sign.

• Baller
As long as the rubber is not twisting, re-string from the other side. When you get new ropes save the 15 off segment to re-string. I've had handles almost ware to the metal on one side and then rotate it. Been doing this for 35 years.

• Baller_
@dave2ball Sorry my response was not a call out what so ever, just giving the info that I know of. A lot has changed as well so I do not doubt it. I tell people in the shop all the time, if your mind is telling you to change it, then just do it, as skiing is just as much mental as it is physical.

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller

Back in the day I replaced 'em (ropes) when I broke 'em--usually 3-4 per season--right at the wake in the heart of the pull--shot to the ribs.

@razorskier1 once broke 3 ropes in one day--both the ropes we had in the boat and the new one we purchased cuz we were out of ropes. I broke two in one day in a ski team demo near downtown Iowa City.

We kept broken handles in our bedroom as "trophies"--hung them on the wall. I broke the tournament rope at collegiate regionals.

As our technique improved--finally got some coaching--we basically stopped breaking ropes/handles. We could run a season on a rope. Wear point seemed to often be pylon attachment.

I've had in-tow/masterline ropes for the most part, but masterline handles for many years--seem very durable.

• Baller

This thread is pretty simple.

Handles are all personal.

The aluminum bars are pretty much the same size.

The bigger diameter handle the more rubber in on the handle. With that being said the bigger the handle the softer the grip and the quicker it may wear. This also depends on gloves those many times you ski do you leave it in the sun drag the bridle along the dock or boat floor crewing up the bridle rope.

The bridle will wear regardless of your skis edge.

That said grab the handle that feels the best and ski.