Help choosing new boots

Taynton

• Baller

Hi ballers, I was hoping some of you could help me with some insight on a choosing a new binding set up. here is a little background information.

Im a 36 year old skier, I have been skiing for my whole life but just started to get into course skiing over the last few years and I only have an handful of passes thru a course. I currently can do the course at 22 off @ 32mph but I just bought on a private lake with 2 courses so Im expecting to progress significantly this year. Im skiing on a 2021 radar vapor lithium and with the vector bindings. (I use 2 boots)

I was debating between the vapor boots and the pulse (Im sticking with radar cause I can get a bit of a deal but Im not committed to this) I used to have the HO animal boots and I like the support and control from them the vector boots are good but I feel a bit loose in them (not a bad loose just not as locked in, I still skied well in these) I haven't had an opportunity to ski a hard boot but I see most of the advanced guys using them, I do like the release system etc but I have no experience with them.

any suggestions/info are appreciated, I have read a bunch of threads on here about bindings but there is so many different views etc that its hard to determine what would work for me. I don't currently have a community of skiers to ask questions or try things so its VERY difficult to decide on what to do here. Thanks in advance for any input !

• Baller

I am not an expert by any means, but I greatly enjoy the radar vapor boot (I have last years, not the newest iteration.) I just use the vapor boot on my front foot and the HRT on my rear foot. I keep the radar bungee on the loose side for easy release in a fall but find that the carbitex material of the vapor boot offers great lateral support. It is a very solid boot.

• Baller

I’ll never ski without a hardshell up front again. Mostly for safety, but also performance. It really connects you to the ski.

I’ve had some pretty bad crashes with the hardshell and zero injuries or pain since using it. Before with soft boots, I was constantly tweaking my ankle and limping after skiing.

$.02.

• Baller
@Taynton I have had booth and recently moved to the 2022 Vapor Double Boot. Size 12 foot. I think you would be very happy with the Vapor. As far as releasing from them; on the Pulse the bungee goes all the way down the front, with the vapor you a have the BOA lower section (does not stretch in a release) and then a bungee across the top. For me I have found leaving the lower Vapor BOA section just tight enough to take up some slack (very loose) and the Bungee snug but not overly tight provides the best feel and releases. The Vapor Boots fit so well you don't have to snug them up to get the performance advantages. Another tip on the Vapor is to unhook the bungee off the top eyelet when you are getting in them so you can get the opening nice and wide; I get in with the booties already in. One small downside with the Vapors is when you get out the booties will probably stay on your foot until you take them off; so you have them to float back to the boat / dock with your ski after a set. If I 100% just open water recreationally skied I would probably go to a Pulse or Vector for the pure convivence of quick in and out with nothing to have to grab separate, but it would be a compromise for performance.

• Baller

@Taynton I have a double-Vapor setup. They are mounted on a Radar Carbon Sequence Plate.

@Fastguy888 I just keep the booties on my feet and swim in with them like I'm wearing socks. I agree that the fit of the Vapors is so good that you don't have to go crazy with cinching them down tight. I discovered recently that when wearing waterproof socks I was able to slip out of the boots and therefore keep them in the shells after a ski. Just another option to try.

@Mastercrafter I used to think like you do, but one (really) bad experience with a pre-release changed my mind. While not as stiff as a hardshell I actually like the connection I have with my ski better with my Vapors than I did with a Reflex Supershell. That is just my $.02. I think there is not one thing that works for everyone.

• Baller
Thanks @Mastercrafter @Fastguy888 @KRoundy and @Gloersen this is really helpful information. I really dont have anyone to chat about this stuff with so its a huge help. Im leaning towards 2x vapor boot (ouch$$) just need to try some on for sizing and switch to the mr noodles diet for the next month or three lol