D3 Neo - Anyone Riding It?

skibug

• Baller
I am demoing the Neo and Ion 2. I am really liking the Neo, more than the Ion 2. I am coming off the D3 Ion-S. Just wondering if anyone else is on an Neo, impressions, and what kind of fin/binding settings might be working....other than stock?

• Baller

@Deanoski, I have ridden the Ion-S with four different fins. Stock, CG, WF, & WF Pro. IMO, the WF Pro has been the best of the four. I was short/deep and way far back om the stock fin, which is mostly my MO for all skis.

67 Ion-S

FB @ 29 15/16

• Baller
That's not Freddie's MO, he's pretty adamant about riding what the factory makes and not riding special one off skis. I would be shocked if Fred was riding something other that what the top-sheet says. I have skied his NRG R2 and his Ion, and his NRG felt just like mine.

• Baller

@kc @aupatking as mentioned above, I have wound up with relatively short/deep/fin back numbers on most skis I have ridden.

67 ION-S

FB - 29 31/32 (a smidge behind 30", I have a micro adjust), IMO, if you have to error to one side or the other of 30", I would go behind stock. Also, I am a front hard shell and RTP guy, so I am not sure if there are any tweaks if you tide double boots.

7.5 with big wing / 8 with regular wing

• Baller
I just spent a week on the Neo and now am giving the NRG R2 a go. I liked the Neo pretty well (definitely settled on stock after a few moves), but my initial impression after two rides on the NRG is (for me) NRG all the way. Also, purely stock as a starting point, but not feeling the need to do much, if anything, to it.

• Baller

Hoped on a NEO a week ago, ski is GOOD...super stable platform, forgiving, both sides are very equal, creates a lot of space and time before the next buoy, settles in very nice into the buoy and bleeds just the right amount of speed into it, low effort to create speed...NEO is a winner, if you're thinking about a new ride, I'd heavily recommend a NEO!!

Super surprised with it since there is zero buzz, I tend to ride 4-5 skis in a year, looking for the 'one' and for knowledge, but always go back to my 'trusty' ski...but at this point I think my trusty ski is going to be shelved

• Baller
Don't overlook the NRG. I won a NRG on the Waterski Broadcast Company a month or so ago on the audience contest. I was disappointed it only goes up to 68", while I did actually pull up on it, I am probably about 50 pounds over using it well. My son in law has upgraded from my old 9500 and even with his part time skiing, he is running some solid 28's at 32/34 mph and midway at 36 mph. My training partner swapped his bindings out on it and skied two rounds into mid-38 off the dock, bone stock settings, except took the wing down to 7 for second round and liked that a little better than stock.

• Baller

Please disregard my posts on this subject so no one is side-tracked off topic.. I assumed someone was looking at D3 skis and thought I would provide some positive feedback on the NRG.

@jayski D3 doesn't make a ski big enough for me so no, but wish they made the NRG in 69". I rode the 68" NRG for one quick set and noted that it really slowed into the turn and wanted to initiate the turns very well. My ski partner and son in law skied up to season average/better with more space ahead of the buoys on it off the dock. Maybe if I lost 70 pounds a 68" ski might work!

• Baller

@jayski Any thoughts on NEO size for a demo? I am 5-8 176# -32/34 and always kind of the border between 66 and 67”. Have typically been on 66” D3 but on a 67” EVo currently.

On the website, the NEO and ION share sizing, the R2 (I guess because it’s slightly wider) sizes slightly shorter.