100 Years of Waterskiing!

vtjc

• Baller

There is a huge sign on the side of highway 61 commemorating the birthplace of waterskiing. I have skied in Lake Pepin a few times, always fun, but boy does that river water move!

Unfortunate that the article included a picture of modern wake surfing and wake boarding rather than a picture of someone actually water skiing.

• Baller
There is a very good article titled "100 Years of Water Skiing" in the current July/August 2022 edition of BoatU.S. Magazine. Lots of water skiing photos plus a timeline of water ski events, products, and people. It even has photos of Elvis and Johnny Carson skiing, and Johnny is skiing on two guys, not two water skis, at Cypress Gardens.

• Baller

I learned to water ski in 1957 behind a fiberglass Crosby w/40 HP Mercury. Am still at it but with updated boat! Celebrated 100 years of water skiing yesterday at Brewski Lake in Indianapolis doing the "Get on the Water" program sponsored by USA Water Ski and Radar Skis. Taught 3 new skiers how to water ski plus several experienced skiers enjoy the anniversary.a9wdyt4ud22m.jpg

reje94by8dql.jpg

hlc05ek3xtmt.jpg

• Baller

Aldo first learned in 1957. First on doubles behind a Chris Craft. Grandfathers boat.

Then got a single chance to try a single behind a visiting families light 35 HP outboard. Told I got one try by the friends Dad who was in charge. So I took my only attempt and luckily made it first try. The Dad was amazed and said he would Jeep taking he that day. Still enjoying the I’ve ski experience today.