Need Guidance for my 2022 Radar Vapor Pro 69.5"

Fatroll

• Baller

47 yo 230 lb skier (ZO C2), generally get into -32 at 34 mph by mid summer. I have been skiing on a 2016 vapor 69.5" for the last 6 seasons. I have loved this ski but its pretty beat up and has over 500 sets on it. It was always been very numble and I am convinced it saved me from several OTFs. I purchased a 2022 Vapor Pro 69.5". I also bought the new vapor boots as my old ones are falling apart. I have it set up to factory settings 30.75" 6.860 2.485 0.765 7 degrees (Note I drop my wing angle to 7 degrees on my lake as the water is very turbid and slow. I go to 9 degrees at other sites). The ski feels like a plank. I struggle to get it to turn and seems very resistant to accelerate when I get a good turn and finish with good angle. Frankly, I do not trust it. I do not remember this tough of a transition from my '13 Strada to my '16 vapor.

For reference, my '16 vapor settings:

30 15/16

7 degrees on my lake (9 everywhere else)

Any advise on settings for the big ski?

Thanks

JJ

• Baller
A couple thoughts: where is the water breaking with respect to your front foot in the turn? (Specifically at the apex) Does the ski roll over from edge to edge easily? A couple of fin changes can help the scenario (it did for me on my ski) - from slow and forced turns to effortless turns and better acceleration.

• Baller
@Fatroll Your DFT sounds pretty skimpy for a 69.5" ski. Kick it up to .780 to .785. Those other settings seem like a compromise between deep and short vs shallow and long, but I have not seen any settings posted for a new 69.5. I have a 2020 Vapor Pro 69.5, and it likes a shallow fin and I have been playing around with length.

• Baller
are you in the 3rd hole on front and back bindings? my neighbor has the exact same ski and size. His came with rear plate on 2nd hole and he moved it to the 3rd. It took him a few weeks to get used to it - now he loves it.

• Baller

Update as a reference for anyone on the big ski.

Chris sent me these numbers to try

30 3/4

I started at 7 degrees but moved to 8. I flatten on my home lake because the water is slow. I will ski a different lake (really fast water) this weekend and prob ski 9 degrees.

I also used my old bindings on my carbon sequence plate instead of the aluminum plates.

Definitely helped. Offside is dialed in if I keep back shoulder pressure into the pre turn. This ski loves to turn.

• Baller
Glad those numbers resonate with you @Fatroll. Myself and all the Radar team skiers are constantly working on refining set ups for skiers and often come across commonalities in set ups that have been successful. The alternative settings I had you start with have been positively accepted by numerous skiers this past year and are really close to Radars 2023 recommended long/shallow settings. For those of you on a 22 Vapor reading this that are skiing nationals, please hold off trying these numbers until after the event. It’s important to have spent time on your set up so you have confidence in how it will react to your input in tournaments, especially nationals. As @TFIN and I have discussed on the SprayMakers podcast, have confidence in your path and avoid all distractions as what you have done all summer is what has led you to this place.