Broken Ski, Broken Skier

Rednucleus

• Baller_

Good Day Ballers - Day 7 of 8 day trip to Curlew. Douger crashed going to 5 ball (34/15 off) and came up with a broken Syndicate Omni and front ankle injury. Probably no surgery but expect to be out for the year.

u1lv3h571mpd.png

c84rjk2czxwn.png

Curious if anyone else has had similar failures. Got ski last fall.

At least this didn't happen last weekend!!

• Baller

To be clear Connelly HO and Radar are all one company...

It's a conspiracy one venture capital firm owns them their skis mostly from one place which is connelly factory

Ropes the radar and HO high end stuff same place.

Go up the chain one venture capital firm

• Administrators

@BraceMaker

Radar has absolutely no connection to the other companies. Radar his owned by Square One

HO & Connelly do have the same corporate parent but are run as completely separate entities. Internally they compete with each other.

Things like vests, ropes and gloves are made in a few factories across the industry. That's because these are the sources. It is likely that the gloves made by a HO also come from the same factory that makes Nike.

@Rednucleus I had a similar experience in April 2020. I had a 2019 Syndicate Omni and when crossing the wakes, I came down hard on the front of the ski which broke the ski in between the front and rear boot. I rolled my ankle badly which resulted in a peroneal tendon subluxation injury which required surgery. No fun. HO replaced my ski at no cost, but the injury was a doozy.

• Baller

@braindamage Was typing the same question...

@Rednucleus Give him some big ''horses'' pill and he'll be back soon! :) Scary break in that ski for sure!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller_
Skis of pretty much all brands have had similar breakages over the years. My guess is that its a manufacturing defect such as air bubbles in the epoxy, improperly cured, or outdated epoxys that are possible causes. This is simply a very small percentage of the build process that has a "lemon" ski and not indicative of any brand or model.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
@Rednucleus very sorry to see this and wish your friend a speedy and complete recovery. That ski is a 2018 model, almost five years since it came out of the press. Hard the know what kind of bumps, dings and drops it has experienced in that time even if it only sat in a pro shop. If this ski was purchased new in the last year or so from an authorized dealer we will replace no questions asked. We experience maybe a 1% warranty rate on skis in that timeframe but it is always unsettling when it happens to you. Feel free to PM me directly if any questions.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller

I had one fracture but not come apart at the ball, too. Was a very gentle fall in that case.

Razor skis always claimed they never had a break. Having skied one for many years, it sure seemed like an incredibly well manufactured ski.

• Baller

CSI. Possible cause

Hard pull to 5, wake pop. ski bounce with body moving forward, right edge of ski tip digs, body hits water like fly swatter, heavy loading and planter flexion of ankles (no chance for these bindings to release in this direction) weight now back in relation to ski, peak force, ski breaks.

Not sure if this is what happened but It is possible that fall caused failure, and not failure caused fall. I recall reading that skis are weakest bending tip toward bottom. Pull +4-5 G’s in Cessna and wings fall off, only need -2 G’s for wings to fall off. Its all determined by design.

I am recovering from fibula fracture and surgery resulting from slip on wet grass and planter flexion of my ankle. Ankles only go so far. Missing my first ski season in 51 years sucks, I feel your pain, heal fast!!!

• Baller_

No blame, no shame, just thought fellow ballers would be interested in this,and also curious if other folks have broken skis before. One of my buddies at Hilltop has broken 3 so far! BTW here's a pic of Douger's ankle 2 days post crash.

reqa337ozua9.png