Iowa State Water Ski no longer able to practice or compete

JayShower

• Baller
Skiers need to understand whether tournaments or collegiate teams- it’s all about risk management. The single largest factor determining whether something happens or not. That’s just reality . The second reality is that’s it’s much easier to avoid risk than manage it - hence decisions like this . Sad but true.

• Administrators
@MDB1056 so much of what's wrong with Western culture today is about risk management. The whole safe sport thing is risk management. HR at most people's jobs is the company's risk management department. lawyers & risk management are the enemy of fun.

• Baller
I truly hope that the unaffiliated students who attend Iowa State while independently practicing and competing in water skiing competitions will continue to share their love of 3 event skiing with new unaffiliated students for years to come!

• Baller

This is a sad thing that is happening. I have 2 boys that were really looking forward to skiing on ISU’s team. We’re trying to keep the kids that are part of it skiing and there is an effort to make an unaffiliated club of students.

Time will tell.

• Baller
Petition Iowa State to shut down their football and basketball programs.

You do realize that both football and basketball are revenue generating activities and as such play under different rules than club sports which cost universities money.

• Baller

@Broussard well sort of... Title IX basically does this:

kbb3fa3o7jkc.png

qqxelm90gtlt.png

sdisbiyhr5m5.png

So in the end most "club sports" are only given say a 500$ a year contribution and then "free" use of certain facilities like meeting rooms to host their weekly meetings. So the "Club" stuff doesn't really cost them money.

• Baller

There will be efforts to reverse this decision and I hope that all BOS members will support them as they come. Let’s not accept defeat just yet. It would be really good if NCWSA/AWSA leadership started working with that team to lobby the school as well.

Collegiate skiing is our sport at its best, but it wouldn’t take much for other schools to see ISU as an example so it’s important to support them.

I know a few ISU alum, any efforts they bring into the action phase I’ll do my best to pass along.

• Baller

@JayShower didn’t see that, I hope there is an ongoing appeal in that case.

Some of my ISU friends are sharing posts urging individuals to email recservices@iastate.edu and wolfe@iastate.edu expressing discontent with the ruling in an effort to overturn - as an update to my previous post about ongoing efforts.

• Baller_

A possible solution: FSAE has a design & compete competition, entrants are from Universities around the globe with ~120-150 schools participating in the competition, which is to design a formula race car and then compete in a variety of events.

A particular University turned down the proposal made by a student of that school to have an entry at this years competition. His ingenious solution as he was a transfer student was to ask his Community College if he could form a team and have the Community College represent them. "sure no problem". Students were from both schools on the team. Fast forward to the competition and they finished 20th out of 120+ entries beating several top notch Universities from around the US and world, damn impressive. We gave them the creative idea of the event.

So maybe if ISU stands as a firm no, a transfer student could petition his CC to be the umbrella. Best of luck finding a solution to keep the team going.

• Baller

@Broussard point is that a waterski club is entirely meaningless to the university from a cost perspective. Out of 80 Million bucks they shuffle around for sports waterskiing is not moving their needle.

Having started a college trap shooting team that had to operate completely unsanctioned from the university off of an early Facebook page the question becomes what hardship will the team have if they become a completely independent ski club. Maybe the reality is that all college ski teams should have a "club" that is open to public membership to operate and do recruitment.

• Baller

@MattP hopefully not - it would be great to be able to have collegiate teams with real support even if they were on the negative side of the sports budget. But when TItle IX does what it does the schools are looking at their budgets and offsetting the net positive of men's football, basketball, wrestling?? and baseball?? with the net negative of women's sports and co-ed sports like waterski get shoved to the side.

My undergrad had a women's rowing team that had a more than 1 million dollar a year budget, their own trainers, boat house, brand new boats. They made the men's club fundraise to buy the boats they were throwing away. That's just how it works.

• Baller
I work in competitive rowing on the men and woman’s side. I know the disparity of title IX. We don't want to see that in skiing. As a NCWSA National Director I can tell you we do not want NCAA to get involved with NCWSA for many reasons at this time.

• Baller

Disaffiliate from the school.

Form a new club comprised of students who ski and are enrolled in the university.

Use a name that is not "Iowa State University" and have an asterisk on all the swag that says "not affiliated with Iowa State University or any of its dickhead officers or board members"

Apply to NCWSA for club recognition and get AWSA club insurance.

Go skiing while giving the finger to the University.

The best thing the Chico team ever did was to stop begging the University for permission.