Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Trying Gopro again

Keith_Menard

• Baller

Probably should have waited for the 12. The whole back is edge to edge screen with better stabilization and some think it will have zoom capabilities. Available September 15. I was going to buy the 11 and decided to wait. 

Edited by skierjp

• Baller

An actually zoom would be fantastic!  A better tracker would help to get the skier at the buoy at a higher zoom.  I’ve also observed that the stabilization limits what the camera captures at the end of the swing. I don’t know how to solve that unless one could turn off or down the horizontal swing stabilization. 

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Baller

Im one of those folk who videos every set. Given different drivers and observers, I needed a system to be robust and “fool proof”. 

Im using the hero 10 black with the QR code settings on a skidoc. Crucially, to manage the issues previously mentioned, I use a Vloggers case with a 52mm thread which takes a 2.0X Marumi 52mm 2.0X tele converter. 

I’ve Set the QR code to turn off image stabilisation, use linear lens and max digital zoom (which is x2) - works perfectly for 16m and shorter - see attached video. The best thing is that with the screen lock on I just turn the camera on - point it at the QR code on my phone to secure the settings, attach to the ski dock and no one needs to touch it after that. Between sets its really simple to watch the videos back using the GoPro  Quik app (which streams directly to the phone without having to download and use up memory.)

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/lm91ptrl9xlz96ncydvly/GX015095.MP4?rlkey=snwf5kb7uk4pc4qxwtngmy2fi&dl=0

43BA1267-ED88-4A92-A38E-52CDD54E5E36.jpeg

6396C1BE-5FCC-447D-806D-5E7ED4C5DEBB.jpeg

2844D138-BF58-4114-810C-4642945674D8.jpeg

• Like 1

• Baller
On 7/28/2023 at 1:22 PM, SlalomSteven said:

@BrennanKMN - Next level!! But sorry, can you clarify the specific steps a bit more? My GPS setting QR text string is oSoB1oC!SK48-47!R , so I put !SAVEboot="oSoB1oC!SK48-47!R" into a .txt (or something else?) file on the SD card? What do I name the script file, and what QR code do I show the GoPro to get it to look for the script every time on startup?

Thank you!

@SlalomSteven

It has been a while, but this is what I recall as the basic steps. 

1. Get your QR code string. Mine is "mVr1080p120fW20oSM50,50e2hS0dR0aWg1v0q0oV0B1D4R1CSW0L0!SK25-20!R!MBASE="[yyyy-mm-dd_HH-MM]_"

2. Create a file with no extension on the root of the SD card directory. Basically a .txt file with the .txt removed. I called my "waterski". Put the raw QR code string in the file. My file is also attached. 

3. Create a QR code to tell the GoPro to run that script/file on each boot. 

image.jpeg

4. Scan that code. 

5. Be sure that every SD card you have has the same command on it. Otherwise if you boot the GoPro and walk away it wont run the script. 

6. If you want to be even more fun. Use the power on commands to automatically power on the GoPro with the boat. So then when the engine starts, the GoPro starts, and runs the command to always record. Pretty bullet proof...

waterski

• Baller

@Hucklefin I use a Ski Doc pylon mount with a moderate level of in-camera stabilization (aka HyperSmooth) and GoPro HERO11 Black or HERO10 Black. Camera stabilization is the key high-quality footage. It's a couple years old, but this video clearly demonstrates how well GoPro stabilization works - jump to time stamp 1:30. Note, as more stabilization is applied, the FOV (field of view) is reduced. Meaning, more stablization = more cropping. Which is why I don't apply the highest level of stabilization. 

As for pylon mounts, I prefer the Wakeye. Unfortunately, they aren't available anymore. 

• Like 2

• Baller
On 8/2/2023 at 9:14 AM, BrennanKMN said:

@SlalomSteven

It has been a while, but this is what I recall as the basic steps. 

1. Get your QR code string. Mine is "mVr1080p120fW20oSM50,50e2hS0dR0aWg1v0q0oV0B1D4R1CSW0L0!SK25-20!R!MBASE="[yyyy-mm-dd_HH-MM]_"

2. Create a file with no extension on the root of the SD card directory. Basically a .txt file with the .txt removed. I called my "waterski". Put the raw QR code string in the file. My file is also attached. 

3. Create a QR code to tell the GoPro to run that script/file on each boot. 

image.jpeg

4. Scan that code. 

5. Be sure that every SD card you have has the same command on it. Otherwise if you boot the GoPro and walk away it wont run the script. 

6. If you want to be even more fun. Use the power on commands to automatically power on the GoPro with the boat. So then when the engine starts, the GoPro starts, and runs the command to always record. Pretty bullet proof...

waterski 92 B · 71 downloads

@BrennanKMN I've got a working QR code for the speed start stop and understand your steps 1 & 2. 

For step 3 to create a QR to run the script do I use https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/custom/  leaving everything unticked and only have the text BOOT=!Lwaterski ?  Or can I just use the QR you're posted? (so long as I name my file ' waterski ' with no file extension)

Then with step 4 only ever need to do that once? i.e. from then on every time the camera gets fresh battery put in it and manually powered on it will load the waterski file which in trun will set the speed start stop.

Interested in your step 6. IS that because you have a external power charge lead to boat and the gopro sees it go live hence it boots, loads waterski file and sets speed? 

Apology for the many questions. Trying to lessen the load on driver and observer. Thanks in advance

• Baller
15 hours ago, 03RLXi said:

@BrennanKMN I've got a working QR code for the speed start stop and understand your steps 1 & 2. 

For step 3 to create a QR to run the script do I use https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/custom/  leaving everything unticked and only have the text BOOT=!Lwaterski ?  Or can I just use the QR you're posted? (so long as I name my file ' waterski ' with no file extension)

Then with step 4 only ever need to do that once? i.e. from then on every time the camera gets fresh battery put in it and manually powered on it will load the waterski file which in trun will set the speed start stop.

Interested in your step 6. IS that because you have a external power charge lead to boat and the gopro sees it go live hence it boots, loads waterski file and sets speed? 

Apology for the many questions. Trying to lessen the load on driver and observer. Thanks in advance

@03RLXi

For step 3, you only need to create a QR code with the "BOOT=!Lwaterski" and everything else blank. The goal is to tell the GoPro to run the script which should contain your custom settings already. 

For step 4, you only need to do it once. It will always look for that script on the root of the SD card on every boot. If it finds it it will run it. If it doesn't it will be 'default settings'. If you want to no longer run the script automatically on boot you'd need to create another QR code undoing the boot command.

For step 6, you're exactly correct. I have a USB charger wired to engine on power, so when the engine is running the GoPro has power. I don't keep my GoPro in the boat, so I don't use the power on function, but if I lived on the lake I absolutely would so then I'd never have to do anything for it to just work. 

More information on the boot and power command:

https://github.com/gopro/labs/blob/master/docs/control/extensions/README.md

• Thanks 1

• Baller
1 hour ago, disland said:

Step 1 get a hot girl to ride in the boat

Step 2 ask her to video you with your iphone you already own

Are you still talking about skiing? 😉😜🤣

• Like 1

• Baller
On 9/22/2022 at 6:39 PM, Cnewbert said:

@Maxsend I modified my ski doc so it both tracks the skier marginally better and it puts the optical axis of the lens in the center rather than off to one side, eliminating parallax. The result is I can use a little higher digital zoom on my GoPro 9 and get equal coverage left and right.

What modification did you do to it? I bought a ski-doc the other day. I have a gopro 6 from back in the day, not sure if this thing will work at all, probably going to have to upgrade.

• Baller

@Hucklefin  here's a photo of the GoPro bracket I made to center the optical axis of the lens directly over the center of the pylon.  Also, moving the weight of the camera to the center and removing the side camera bracket allows the camera to swing more easily. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• Baller

I would go with the Hero 9 at least. That is the first model with the new better battery. 8 and under have smaller batteries. Those batteries will be harder to buy new now as well.
I have from 9, 10, 11 and 12 now and for skiing there is not much improvement going from 9 to 12. The 12 is better if you want to slow-mo your videos afterwards and it is also better in lower light conditions (early or late sets) but it is also $500... 

• Like 1

• Baller

And for all you GoPro'ers out there. Always run a shock tube and attach a float to your camera. We had two instances where due to either a shock from rope release or from the rope wrapping around the camera, the little feet of the camera itself broke of the camera. One is on the bottom of the lake and the other luckily landed in the back of the boat. 

GoProSki.jpeg