Sharrow Toroidal Propeller

Mtea

• Baller

I happened upon this new propeller (toroidal design) from Sharrow marine that might be interesting to the waterskiing community.  Data from Boattest seems to say it has a better hole shot, improves performance a ton in the mid-range RPMs (boat goes faster, planes sooner using less fuel at lower RPM), is quieter, less captivation, better control in reverse. They are very expensive, but they recently signed a production agreement with Yamaha to increase production (and hopefully bring down cost).  I found several videos on youtube and some boating forums discussing the prop.

It seems like these attributes might be beneficial to further calming the wake behind a ski boat.  The test videos I saw were all on outboards, no I/Os or direct drives.  Any chatter out there about them?  I have nothing to do with the company whatsoever.

https://www.sharrowmarine.com/

image.png

• Baller

I would think the $5k price would come down as they ramp up production with Yamaha who is going to offer them on their own outboard motors according to the press release.  It would be interesting if someone could negotiate a propeller test on a tow boat to see what happens.  How much would you pay for significantly better performance or a better wake if that turns out to be the case?

• Like 1

• Baller

Good luck with getting toroidal reworked after you ding it.  If it can be done, I doubt it will be cheap.  Someone should do the math, how much gas would you save to cover the cost of the prop and the occasional subsequent rework? I hazard I am not completely atypical and seem to go 2-3 years before my prop gets  dinged by an unknown object or being stupid and hit the left when to far forward and not paying attention.