2021 Prostar 6.2L

mbabiash

• Baller
On 2/20/2023 at 11:14 AM, mbabiash said:

6.2L prostar. This is beginning to be the favorite engine for slalom skiers in the new prostar. 
I’ve skied ion this boat for the last two seasons and it’s an incredible boat. New one is here and so this one is ready to go. 

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2021-mastercraft-prostar-8652878/

Why is it a favorite engine for slalom? Been looking and seems like the 6.0 would be plenty. 

• Baller

Many pros I’ve spoken to prefer the pull of the 6.2L 

they used a 6.2 at the MC pro tournament and skiers loved it. 
the pull is softer in my opinion. 
Engine doesn’t have to work as hard to keep rpm’s even. Less spiking. 
Also. Anyone with a shorter setup or higher altitude the 6.0 still struggles to get to speed in plenty of time before 55s 

6.0 is very good and works well on a lot of lakes but it’s not even in the same class as the DI 6.2 which is what is in both malibu and SN 
https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_3Event&postid=66002

• Baller

I agree with mbabiash. The 6.2  has a great  pull. The lower RPm’s and where they fall in the torque brand make for a great pull. The only down fall most promo boats have the 6.0. Unless you are in Florida you may not get to feel this awesome pull. Even in Florida it’s rare just due to lack of boats. 

• Baller

Makes sense - thanks for the replies. In the market for a late model Prostar and was curious. How about fuel economy? Not on a private lake so will be using the boat as a 'daily driver' as well. Any input? 

• Baller

@Mastercrafter  Can you be more specific on performance?  I have a 2016 6.2L.  I test drove the 5.7 and realized it wasn't enough especially since I like to barefoot.  Top speed on our 6.2 is around 50mph.  The other thing I liked about the 6.2 was that it was lighter than the stock option. More power and less weight I will pay for that.  Overall it is a animal and so fun to drive but it is also just an awesome course boat which it is used for 99% of the time.

Fuel economy.  I guess I never noticed much difference from other boats I have owned and I don't really care about it as we only use the boat about 40hrs a season because we share boats on our lake.  I know when we were debating between the Nautique 200 and the ProStar I believe they stated the MasterCraft was better (engine for engine).

• Baller
56 minutes ago, dave2ball said:

If you are worried about fuel economy on a 100k boat then maybe that boat is not for you. Sounds like splitting hairs. 

Thanks for your concern, but if it's a club boat that sees 300 hours annually and it's considerably more to operate, I think fuel costs are worth considering.