Firebird Lake R.I.P

Bainesster

• Baller

In the late ‘70s I was working for AWSA and was driving between Phoenix and Tucson to attend a conference and wanted to see Firebird. The site was closed but the gate was not locked. I entered and was confronted by a huge Pima security guard. I explained who I was and said I just wanted to see the lake. No luck. He kicked my ass out. 

• Haha 1

• Baller_

many venues for water oriented motor sports are diminishing at a rapid pace. particularly fresh water venues.

I know Fire-bird was a salt lake or at least near brackish. The place was a mecca for going fast on the water.

Long Beach marine stadium, full assault by property owners across the street for shut down of boat racing. Miami marine stadium gone now for 40 years

Hopefully ASU has already found another site to train on as this project has been in the works for nearly 10 years.

• Baller

Yes, sad to see Firebird come to an end. It was an affordable option for many since the cost to own a home on one of the tournament lakes in Arizona is expensive and out of reach for many waterski enthusiasts. The drive from ASU to Spring Mountain is about an hour. I hope that works out well for the ski team. There is room for a jump at Spring Mountain. Perhaps they would consider bringing the ramp from Firebird over to Spring Mountain. Fingers crossed on that.

• Like 1

• Baller

Firebird is back! Ed was able to get a contact again as redevelopment is delayed so we’re about to start skiing there this week. We are taking on new members for month to month or annual. Call or text me if you want more info at 931-682-6540. Or if you were involved before you can go directly to Ed. We need to get about 10-12 members to make it financially viable and keep it going.  So all you AZ skiers please come support this thing!

Also boat storage on site available for longer term members.

• Like 4