Who was the first to perform a wake flip?

BKistler

• Baller

I once saw a clip of Ricky McCormick doing a two-ski (!) wake flip by having the boat drive in a figure 8 and launching into the air where the two wakes combined. Don’t know the date but it was before anyone was doing flips in competition. Wondered if he was the first to ever land a wake flip of any kind. 

• Baller

@dchristman Great article. Thanks for posting. Confirms my hunch. I think Sammy Duvall was probably the first to do a flip in competition. He started by doing one on the way back to the dock after his run and eventually incorporated it into his run. It would bring the crowd to its feet. 

@thager Alan Kempton was the first to perform a ramp flip in competition. He was probably not the first to perform a ramp flip. I have seen references to a Cypress Gardens skier doing a ramp flip on short conventional skis decades before. 

• Baller

Water Ski Inc. put on a pro tournament in July of 1975 in Warsaw, Indiana.  Some of the competitors were Ricky McCormick, Wayne Grimditch, Mike Suyderhoud, Chris Redmond, Bob LaPoint, Kris LaPoint, Rusty Carter Jr., Bobby Young, Bruce Cockburn and others.  During the week before several of the pro skiers put on ski clinics.  I drove for the trick clinic coached by Ricky McCormick.  During breaks from the clinic Ricky would practice.  He was doing a wake flip at that time.  I'm not sure if that is the first, but probably close.  It was a wonderful week, great time, great people.  Ricky did a lot for my skiing.  I am forever grateful.  It was a great tournament at a great site with great weather.  Memories I cherish!

Randy Sharkey

IMG_3329.jpg

• Like 1

• Baller

Hi Bruce,

Ricky was doing it on one ski with a double up wake.  I think that I have it (or maybe had it--not sure anymore) on super 8.  It was in practice when we were taking a break.  We didn't have tricks in the tournament.  I don't remember if he was doing it in competition that year.

• Like 1