Engine Kill Switch...do you use yours?

RT1

• Baller

This is probably old news to some, however, on April 1, 2021 a new federal law was passed that requires an operator of a boat less than 26' in length with an installed engine cut-off switch (ECOS)  to use the switch.  My old 87 Pro Star has one installed from the factory and I have never used it.  I ski private water, so there won't be a water cop pulling us over to read me the riot act.  I don't like the government dictating laws, but I do see the importance of using the switch.  Do you use yours?  Here's a link with just some info:       

https://uscgboating.org/recreational-boaters/engine-cut-off-switch-faq.php

• Baller

I don't, and can't think of anyone I know that does.  I was going to mention that it's a pretty good idea in the thread about a steering cable snapping.  someone posted that a cable break might likely throw the driver out of their seat, so maybe it's time to start?

• Haha 1

• Baller

@BobF Those are my thoughts exactly.  My steering wheel turns pretty easy, but it has been on there for a long time.  It's usually just my wife and I at the lake, but occasionally our daughter and grandson's go for a ride while my wife or I ski and they always have their vest on.   

• Baller_

I live on a well patrolled lake. When that new rule went into effect, I bought a wrist strap for the kill switch lanyard. Simple enough to slip on, so that makes compliance simple. No fussing trying to get the hook attached to your shorts.  And it is safer, so what the hell. 

• Like 3

Lpskier

• Baller_

If they could make it fool-proof, an occupancy sensor in the drivers seat could be programmed to slow the boat progressively over a few seconds, but not kill the ignition, which can cause its own disruption for occupants.  Need to protect the skier from a spinning boat following a steering failure. 

One jumpers death, a person I knew, would have probably been avoided with this feature, though it wasn't related to a mechanical failure.    

Edited by swbca

• Baller

We do a lot of skiing without an observer in my private lake, so we use ours maybe half the time.  

I think once I saw the video of the boat that snagged a buoy and basically nose-dived I thought about a lot of what-ifs and figured I would try to use it more than not.  It is sort of a hassle because when you reach to shorten the rope, you do notice it is on your arm. 

In reality is really isn't a big deal to stick your arm through a "hole" you can create at the end and push it up your arm to your elbow, which is how I use mine.   I assume if I fly out of the boat it will still stay on my arm...

• Baller

I mainly use mine to crank the boat but don’t want it to start. But it would probably be a good idea to wear it.  To be consistent at it, I would need an easy way to get it on and off as it seems like I’m in and out of the drivers seat a lot as I don’t regularly have a spotter. I like the wrist strap mentioned above; maybe I’ll give that a try.

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Baller

I never warn it, it would be a good habit to develop. Especially when skiing without a second person in the boat.

Both my ski partner and I are similar in that we move the seat quite far forward when actually driving/towing a skier. It would be very difficult to get knocked out of the seat, but certainly not impossible.

• Baller

We never used it in our club boats in Michigan. And my 1992 BareFoot Warrior never came with one. So the government mandates a law with no grandfather clause. I'm still waiting for them to come and install it. Lawyers don't you just love them?

Ernie Schlager

• Baller

I had a lanyard wrist strap like this when I jetskied (I know I know, I was young). It was easy and quick to put on or take off but stayed on your wrist when you needed it. And it floats!

We don’t use the lanyard much, usually only rough water or if we’re playing around but both are rare occasions. Knowing about the new law and if I make it more convenient we will be compliant. 

IMG_3464.jpeg

• Baller

I use mine more in my 26 footer than my 196. But my 196 never sees 3-5 footers. And the 196 lives on our lake. On occasion I do wear it, but I never remember to take it off so it damn near kills me when I get up for my turn to ski. I’ll try to take this thread as a reminder to always wear it. Things do happen, buoy line snag (our lake once had a course with buoys in places they no longer are), and steering cable snap, so private lake or not, it’s always a good idea

• Baller

@Ski_Dad really should be just like that, a seat occupancy weight switch with a neutral switch.  Although when you get down to it since ski boats are running down the lake on zero off and many boats have an electrically actuated transmission there should just be a foot button that needs to be depressed for ZO to keep operating and that if its not being held down the boat goes to idle in neutral.

That'd be easy to implement and something that I don't think a driver would find obnoxious so long as it was just a comfortable foot rest.  Maybe you could have a couple of steering wheel paddle switches that did the same thing.  Either foot on the floor or you have to hold this button.

A few years back some new laws about those tethers went into place and it became in vogue for people to attach the kill switch to a sandal the idea being that if you got pulled over and they said you weren't attached it was quick to slip into the sandal and go no sir I keep it on at all times.  For ski boats maybe not the strangest idea.  I'm barefoot when driving most of the time.

• Baller

This is a great practice for a bass boat driver screaming down the lake especially in rough conditions. I have never heard of anyone being thrown from the drivers seat of a competition ski boat at 34 mph in skiable water conditions. It’s all I can do to intentionally get out of the seat  (when the boat is sitting still).

I do not use the lanyard. I’m open to using the switch if there a risk greater than me getting struck by lightning while driving the boat.

Convince me otherwise. Tell me of the real life experiences where you or someone you personally know has been thrown from the drivers seat of a competition ski boat built in the last 25 years at 34 mph or less. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

after reading this thread, I'm seriously considering installing a kill switch and lanyard in my Tahoe. we just never know what's going to happen

• Haha 4
  • Thanks 1