Perfect Pass Upgrade

Sethro

• Baller

My new to me 2006 RLXi has the Star Gazer Wake S system, and I’m contemplating an upgrade to Zbox. It’s my understanding I’ll need the software upgrade to get the 3 event system going, then Zbox on top of that. Am I missing something?

I think I’d really prefer to revert back to a digital pro system so I can use my paddle wheel. Yes, I’m that guy complaining about GPS speed control as we do a very large amount of trick skiing on a river with a variable current.   If someone has a working gauge and module from one of their upgrades, I’d be interested. 

IMG_7490.jpeg

• Baller

Best bet with perfect pass is to get all the numbers off the parts you have and give them a call, they're pretty frank about things.

They do now have a river mode in the wake software which I thought did use paddlewheel.  So many of those settings though you'd be forced to just give them a call anyway and I've successfully gotten free upgrade sticks when they do fix something obvious in the settings.

• Baller

There is supposedly a river mode in the wake software where one can input the speed of the current.  But the issue is the current is variable depending on narrow vs wide, straight vs bend, etc...

We get by, but it's just annoying.  Supposedly the chip used for the paddle wheel input from Intel is no longer available.

• Baller

Would RPM mode work for trick skiing?  That's available on SG 3 event.  I know my paddlewheel is still hooked up too, so there might be a way to get it to use that, but for now it's basically just a glorified water temp sensor when PP is switched off.

• Baller
15 hours ago, Sethro said:

There is supposedly a river mode in the wake software where one can input the speed of the current. 

We get by, but it's just annoying.  Supposedly the chip used for the paddle wheel input from Intel is no longer available.

Another option then might just be to get a Ridesteady by Hydrophase.  I guess it depends on how much you prioritize trying to get slalom to feel like ZO on the boat vs. how much you prioritize getting river trick skiing to not require as many driver inputs.

With PP if you have a good paddlewheel speedometer and a good driver you can "fight" with PP meaning the lag in PP responding to throttle inputs by cable changes does let you modulate so if you're going a bit slow or a bit fast despite the river current offset you could have your driver hand throttle a bit just lean on the throttle a bit in slack water or pull back a bit in the slow spots.  its not ideal but then again paddlewheel had that delay too.

If you're going to "revert" to older PP and give up on Z-Box then I'd probably just reach out to hydrophase .

Edited by BraceMaker

• Baller

RPM mode doesn’t quite cut it for pulling tricks in previous attempts. I haven’t tried with this boat yet.  Malibu cruise isn’t an option either as it says “replaced by perfect pass” when the button is pushed to engage it. 

Yes, that’s a fiberglass platform on top of the teak platform. I’ve been looking for a RLXi with the LS1 engine for many years. I compromised, as this has the Monsoon, but deep down I know it’s more than enough engine.  I rolled the dice with this boat buying it sight unseen and it came out of winterization not running right. But, the seller was honest and renegotiated a price and all worked out well. 

• Like 1

• Baller
7 hours ago, BraceMaker said:

Another option then might just be to get a Ridesteady by Hydrophase.  I guess it depends on how much you prioritize trying to get slalom to feel like ZO on the boat vs. how much you prioritize getting river trick skiing to not require as many driver inputs.

With PP if you have a good paddlewheel speedometer and a good driver you can "fight" with PP meaning the lag in PP responding to throttle inputs by cable changes does let you modulate so if you're going a bit slow or a bit fast despite the river current offset you could have your driver hand throttle a bit just lean on the throttle a bit in slack water or pull back a bit in the slow spots.  its not ideal but then again paddlewheel had that delay too.

If you're going to "revert" to older PP and give up on Z-Box then I'd probably just reach out to hydrophase .

Didn't realize Hydrophase had a solution for TBW boats.  That's cool if they're in that game now.

• Baller
28 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Didn't realize Hydrophase had a solution for TBW boats.  That's cool if they're in that game now.

Sorry I may be wrong but is the 06 RXLI really TBW?  I guess his original post throws me off because of his revert to digital Pro comment.

I was of the opinion that most boats in 2006 had cable actuated throttle bodies not potentiometers at the throttle control.

• Baller
15 minutes ago, BraceMaker said:

Sorry I may be wrong but is the 06 RXLI really TBW?  I guess his original post throws me off because of his revert to digital Pro comment.

I was of the opinion that most boats in 2006 had cable actuated throttle bodies not potentiometers at the throttle control.

'06 was the first year for TBW on the Malibu Indmars.  That's why I told him he'd find downgrades complicated above.  :)

Edited by UWSkier

• Baller

I had wake edition S but upgraded it to the latest software and I have Zbox.   You get the update with the zbox purchase.   What I don't know is if zbox is active during trick - my guess is that it's not

• Baller

Apparently PerfectPass has had enough requests from time to time to support the paddle wheel sensor that they have an up to date version available on request that supports both the GPS and the paddle wheel inputs. In a speed based mode you can select either the paddle wheel or the GPS as the speed measurement source. Contact them for more information.

• Like 3

• Baller

Thanks @On_edge   I had called PP before starting this thread and apparently didn't reach the right person.  I was initially told I'd have to upgrade to the Three Event software, and then add the Zbox upgrade on top of that, and that the paddlewheel input was no longer supported.  However, I just talked to Aaron at PP and he explained he can make it happen.  He also assured me that all I needed was the Zbox upgrade and he'd install the necessary program on the software to utilize the paddle wheel input.  The only issue is he thinks it'll only work in wakeboard mode, and that is 0.25 mph increments, so he said he'd change the program for my wakeboard mode to adjust on 0.1 mph increments if he can't get the trick mode to allow it.

No change in price either....truly is great customer service which I've always experienced in the past with PP.

• Like 1