2012 200,6 liters,2400 hrs : Yes or no ?

Andre

• Baller

First 2k hrs on a private lake,one owner,dealer maintained,rebuilt tranny,clean for the hrs. No trailer.Not updated ZO.

29k US $

What do you think?

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Administrators

Trailer is 5k?

I don't think the price is bad. It is likely a project boat. Are you ready to pay for a new engine in next few years? Hull should last forever. Are prepared for the reality that things are going to break?

• Baller

Already have a trailer.

Been fixing things for a living all my life so ya,things will break.I'll fix them.

Anyone know how much for a NEW 6 liters ? @Jody_Seal

Wish i could afford something newer but...it is what it is.  My 94 Prostar is at 1975 hrs and still gave me a great pull at 6:30 this morning!

Anyone has a 6 liters  with high hours?

Edited by Andre
  • Like 1

• Baller
2 minutes ago, chrislandy said:

If it's well maintained the engine should go for at least another 1000hrs without serious maintenance, it's commonplace to see double that here in the UK ex ski school boats

The guy had is own lake for 10-12 years and was 20 minutes from the dealer and all maintenance was done there,paper works to proove it.

• Baller
2 minutes ago, LeonL said:

A friend of mine recently spoke with a guy who has a 1983 MC and has 6000 hours on the engine without even having a head off.  Doubt that a 6L will make it that long, but maybe.

That's a LOT of hrs! That would be on a 351 ?

Would be happy to get another 5-600 hrs before dropping new engine.

• Administrators

@Andre If you are mechanically inclined and happy to do the work then I think that is likely a pretty good deal.  That motor could go for another thousand hours or not. As long as you accept the risk I say go for it.

• Like 1

• Baller_

@Andre if you do the $ v. sweat & hours trade so you can afford it why not?
A new L96 long block is $6k thru Michigan Motorz if needed or by now some will be in a boneyard for a more intensive swap over at an even better price.  Trannys do show up on eBay. A concern might be the electronics and replacement cost of that stuff, much harder to find ‘cheap’ solutions if you don’t work for ‘them’ and get a company discount.  Good luck.

• Like 1

• Baller
1 hour ago, jpwhit said:

I know for the EX343 5.7L, 2012 was the crossover year for Catalytic converters. I'm seen 2012's with and without. I would tend to thing the same would apply for the ZR6. 

@jpwhit

Your knowledge on this site is unreal and suspect you are knee deep in the industry.

Just a question, are you sure that was 2012 and not 2011? 2010 was the first year of the 200 then 2011 there were still some changes.

Our first 200 was a non-cat boat. Our second 200 was a later in the year built cat-boat and it had 2-3 changes such as engine box hinges and a few other things, both 5.7l's

• Baller

The change to cats was January 1,0 2011.  Not exactly sure if it was order date or start of construction, but I remember the local promo guy giving me a call in late 2010 about it.  The 2011 boat I had that was used at the Masters had Cats.  I sold it with 1800 generally trouble free hours. 

• Baller
11 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

The change to cats was January 1,0 2011.  Not exactly sure if it was order date or start of construction, but I remember the local promo guy giving me a call in late 2010 about it.  The 2011 boat I had that was used at the Masters had Cats.  I sold it with 1800 generally trouble free hours. 

6 liters?

Edit: By the way,congrats on your work for the U21 ! Great webcast with big improvement! Keep up the good work,we appreciate it!

Edited by Andre

• Baller

I've owned both a 2011 and a 2012 200 that were both non-cat. I've also worked on 2012 5.7L that did have cats. And all the 2013 and newer boats that I've worked on have all had cat's.  So that's what my comment was based on. 

I'm not really sure exactly what determined if you got one with or without cats around the 2012 timeframe. Maybe it was just luck of the draw or maybe PCM was ramping up productions of the catalytic converter assemblies, so it just depended on if they had those parts available or not. And by 2013, they have enough to build all engines with cats. That's a pretty common in the auto industry. When California requires something, they start producing a version of the car sold in California. Then because it cost money to have different variations, as they ramp up production they simplify and sell the same version in all 50 states when the supply chain is ramped up to support it. 

No, I didn't actually work directly in the boating industry. Before I retired last year, I did work as a hardware and software design engineer in a company that was closely associated with automotive, aerospace, and really anybody the built stuff that involved mechanical, electronics, and software systems. I also grew up working in my grandfathers auto repair garage in the summers. And to my father's great dissatisfaction, I took apart almost anything mechanical around the house about the time I was old enough to hold a screwdriver and a wrench.  

So now I'm just someone with an insatiable curiosity about how anything works, with too much time on my hands, and I find that it actually seems like more work to manage having someone fix something for myself, or my family, or my friends rather than doing it myself. 

• Like 3

• Baller_

Unlike the auto industry, the boating industry is allowed to use up stock already on the shop floor.   So the implementation date of a new regulation kind of floats.  Companies tend to stock up on pre regulatory stuff to delay a cost increase.