'95 Nautique prop upgrade suggestions

LOTW

• Baller

It's got low hours and I've always wanted to try a 4 blade or?? I would hope that I would get better performance, nothing really wrong with it now, and maybe a better wake. Very few, none, options to try and test around here so I would have to buy one and be stuck with it. Anyone who has had one of these have any suggestions? It's got the ProBoss GT ford 351 EFI, closed bow196, everything is stock.

Maybe someone has a prop for sale?

Edited by LOTW

• Baller

I think the ACME 422 is the best prop for that boat. I'm not an expert, so hopefully others confirm or deny. I had one on my 1994 Ski Nautique. Previous owner put it on. I don't know what the 3 blade prop was like.

• Baller

Definitely go with the four blade.  I had a ‘95 and even my wife noticed how much smoother the boat ran when we put the four blade on it.  I don’t recall if I ever used an OJ prop to give you that model number, but the ACME 422 was great. 

• Baller

For my 94 Sport I went with the OJ428 which I've read is very similar to the Acme 422 but a little more robust. Since there is a chance of bumping into things here and there where I'm at it made sense. If you have no risk of anything ever hitting the prop then the 422 will be fine. 

• Like 1

• Baller
4 hours ago, LOTW said:

@MDB1056ya, I just didn't know what I was looking for.

The CRAPPY thing is that by the time I get a new one to Canada it'll be $1000.00+

Bought my 515 last year from PocoMarine in BC, best deal I found within Canada and they were great to do business with. 664$ CAD:
https://www.pocomarine.com/shop/acme-422-propeller-12-5-x-15-5x1-rh-4-blade/

There is also one used from a boat dealer in Quebec, 260$ CAD:
https://pomerleaulesbateaux.com/en-CA/accessories/acme-4320181010/

• Baller

Gee, $260.00 is the right price for a potentially 30 year-old prop but used is always risky, what do you guys think?
I'll call them tomorrow and hopefully they speak, or will speak, English.

• Baller

I would generally recommend to ignore the number of blades and just go off recommended for the boat, I just say this from the number of people who have bought 4 blade props expecting an upgrade when really the best prop recommendation for their use would be a modern 3 blade CNC.  So if the best prop for your boat is 4 blades have at it.  But if it isn't don't seek one out.

• Like 1
  • DIslike 2

• Baller

@Jody_Seal@Drago Curious as to why you both disagree with using a recommended 3 blade over a 4 blade.   When I reached out to Eric at OJ he told me his best prop for me was a 3 blade cnc.  If the guy who makes the props himself tells you the 3 blade is better, then why would you opt for a 4 blade?  I bought the 3 blade and was very happy with the performance gains,  Did exactly what Eric said it would.

• Like 1

• Baller_

keep in mind after years of testing different propellers on many different Correct Crafts with nearly all engine packages available it has been my preference to utilize 4 blade propellers on three event boats. truly a 3 blade propeller will better enhance acceleration in many cases  on most any inboard boat. Ski ability as well as seat of the pants preferences to boats power requirement and engine rpm limits will  need to be considered in ones propeller choice. if your working with a week ass hp Ford in a slant back ski Nautique and looking for an exceleration boost or at altitude I would probly run a c&c three blade especially if it pulled jumpers. I run a hand-built Stainless steel 3 blade designed by Eric at Oj for a old inboard go fast boat. for the most part a 4 blade will be a smoother spinning propeller as well as a four blade all but eliminates left hand growl in a Nautique.

Shout out to Eric at Oj. still running one of your 4 blades on a 6.2 200..

• Baller

Thanks for all of the input!
At this point I don't NEED a new prop but would sure LIKE one but that kinda $$ will buy a lot of gas. If anyone has, or comes across a good used one, please let me know.

THANKS again!

@RayI called the Quebec angle and they sold it a while ago.