Mastering the Art of Waterskiing Book

gavski

• Baller

Philippos is a great guy, top skier, capable of running deep -41!

bought his book, but haven’t received it yet. I’m really interested in what is going to be like. Also excited that he put this effort for the sport we all love.

He is going to be in Kaiafas lake for Kaiafas battle pro tour stop next week promoting his book. That is what I’ve heard.

• Baller
1 hour ago, MDB1056 said:

WAYway too expensive for a how to book....  IMO

Think of it less as a how to and more of a coffee book for ski schools, boat dealerships, and the ski lake.  Is there a different book you'd buy to put there?  Fin Whispering?  60 bucks.

• Baller

I'm still hoping some enterprising coach or coaches (Rossi and Trent for example) might put together a multi disc DVD instructional package utilizing video, stills, slo-mo, telestrator, side by side,  re-play etc. to visually and graphically illustrate what can frequently be ambiguous and/or confusing when describing 3 dimensional, often simultaneous physical actions and movements in words alone.  DVDs are cheap to produce once the content has been created... far less expensive than books... and the economy of scale is far less advantageous than the printing and binding of books, so short production runs are economically feasible.  

I have been active in the horse world long before I took up skiing and there are a great number of equestrian clinicians who have produced just such instructional DVD sets about many different riding disciplines and horsemanship in general.  They have done very well with them because visual learning is so much more effective than the written or spoken word alone.

• Haha 1

• Baller_

I was talking to Rossi some time ago and mentioned it was too bad there wasn’t a good book on water skiing, and he said “There is. Warren Witherall wrote it.” I said I knew Warren wrote “How the Racers Ski” about snow ski racing but I didn’t know he’d written a book about water skiing. Rossi said “That’s the book. Just add ‘water’ every time you read ‘ski’ or ‘skier’ and you’ve got it.” 

• Like 2

Lpskier

• Baller

I bought this book last year. Filippos is a gentleman and his personal touch to customer service is first class.

The photographs are beautiful and its well written however not what I expected, which was a detailed manual full of tips and instruction to make me a better skier. I know all the theory but as a weak 15 off skier it didnt help me much.

As stated above its a lovely item but definately a  " coffee book " in my opinion and not the reference book I needed at this stage.

Not to discourage anyone from buying but if you can borrow a copy for a quick look it may provide all you need to know or already did.

Just my honest opinion given price and content

Good luck to Filippos and other vendors who are selling to the right market. 

• Like 2

• Baller

I bought the book, my opinion is it is a lot more than a coffee table book. It would be easy to criticise as on first inspection it contains much of what I already knew. The strength of the book is not in giving great insight into unknown mystic practice, but in giving clear focus on what fundamentals should be worked on and clear direction as to what good looks like. If you were lucky enough to be coached properly from the start and enjoyed good coaching to keep you on the straight and narrow through your development then you probably need to look else where. I was self taught then I had awful advice on the dock from people who could not ski on how to do it wrong. Having personally done this so badly and the wrong way and now having proper instruction and relearning I can see the quality of the book in its distillation to the correct focus. Many times I have struggled with what to focus on before I had an instructor, the book gives some clear direction. I have formed the opinion that if I want to progress I need to go back and focus on the basics, which I am now doing, the book has clear instruction and excellent photographs to illustrate what those basics are and what I should be doing. Filippos skill is in saying less, my instructor also says less. 

• Baller
On 1/22/2024 at 2:39 PM, Cnewbert said:

I'm still hoping some enterprising coach or coaches (Rossi and Trent for example) might put together a multi disc DVD instructional package utilizing video, stills, slo-mo, telestrator, side by side,  re-play etc. to visually and graphically illustrate what can frequently be ambiguous and/or confusing when describing 3 dimensional, often simultaneous physical actions and movements in words alone.  DVDs are cheap to produce once the content has been created... far less expensive than books... and the economy of scale is far less advantageous than the printing and binding of books, so short production runs are economically feasible.  

I have been active in the horse world long before I took up skiing and there are a great number of equestrian clinicians who have produced just such instructional DVD sets about many different riding disciplines and horsemanship in general.  They have done very well with them because visual learning is so much more effective than the written or spoken word alone.

Not to sponsor drop but that’s pretty much what Marcus and Jenny put together with FPM. A pretty huge catalogue of videos that will answer pretty much any question you ever thought about both on and off water that gets added to constantly

• Baller
19 minutes ago, RobHazelwood said:

Not to sponsor drop but that’s pretty much what Marcus and Jenny put together with FPM. A pretty huge catalogue of videos that will answer pretty much any question you ever thought about both on and off water that gets added to constantly

⬆️that!
Plus: not sure you can buy dvds anymore, or play them 😬

• Baller
On 1/22/2024 at 11:39 AM, Cnewbert said:

Just now, slow said:
On 1/22/2024 at 11:39 AM, Cnewbert said:

Expand  

What’s DVD