Former EZ Slalom user looking for ideas

SkiRVA

• Baller

Hi all, 

I am an armature public lake skier (NC/VA line) who used an EZ slalom course that I used as a simi-permanent course. (ie we would float the course up with buoys early morning each use and remove buoys immediately after use). I was able to repair the course a few times due to public lake anchor snags and moved the course slightly from shore to deter accidental snags, but I was hit again with a snag about a week ago that whoever pulled up the course also cut it and drug it around to the point most of my PVC pipes were broken or missing. I unfortunately deemed the course a loss and am looking for new options. To clarify, the course rests on the bottom of the lake between 10-23ft deep and I believe each instance has been accidental. 

My current thought process given I still have buoys and anchors: 

1. Purchase an Insta slalom with steel mainline to give me basically my old functionality back. $1.8k turnkey and I could get it this week. 

2. Purchase Accufloat system but it appears I need to slightly amend this course to be able to quickly take bouys off and sink, correct? It does not appear the Accufloat design is really intended to be sunk after each use. I will need to measure and purchase my own PVC, which based on my estimate I would be about ~$1.3k all in. 

3. Other suggestions or ideas I am not considering? 

Thanks in advance for this great group of knowledge. 

Congrats to Ed for retiring! His course held up terrific for me and my little group!

• Baller

I know some guys who float and sink an Accufloat each Saturday AM. It sounds like it works well, until something leaks, breaks, etc. Certainly not hassle-free but at least they have a course to ski. 

I wish I was a little more motivated to get my no-longer-used Insta-Slalom out of the lake and sell it... one of these years. 

• Baller

For years we did the same thing. Raised our course manually (think, 2-3 boats pulling down the main line and attaching buoys), but eventually a fisherman cut our main line. Luckily, one of the neighbors caught him and we were able to collect damages and spent it on a new Wally Sinker course that we've had for five years. If someone snags it, there's still the potential to have it cut, but at least for us, raising and lowering the course (using a compressor, and leaving the buoys attached) saves a ton of time....and our backs and shoulders.

• Baller

@lpskier I should have reached back out to you, but we decided to pass on the EZ mainline because we found our old mainline! (Yes, in a tangled mess, and there is a tree under part of it, but we are optimistic) So, it is still with the other fellow and seemingly available!

• Baller

I appreciate all the insight and ideas. Yes, my group and I would prefer the course as we have had that bug for about 6 years now and it has generated some great connections on the lake with other very early morning skiers. 

It's good to know the accufloat system can be submerged similar to my old EZ slalom. It makes sense that it would be. I like to keep it at the bottom of the lake to limit the fishermen risk. Our biggest issue has been renters/weekenders snagging anchors, so I definitely want to stay away from sub buoys etc.  

I may be leaning more accufloat.... I may give it a weekend to think about despite wanting to get out there ASAP. It is killing me not to be out there. 

• Baller

I have a couple of courses on Kerr Lake, so not far from you. We have more than one because depending on water level and other factors we change location. I also have friends on Kerr with courses as well. There are at least 4 courses on Kerr that I know of. We all used to sink them, but since the pandemic we've all been leaving them up 24/7. We know the WRC officers on the lake and as long as we play nice with the fishermen and other users and they don't get complaints, they are happy to look the other way in regard to the letter of the rules. 

One word of caution on the stainless steel mainline, because I've used both on the lake, if someone snags the SS mainline and gets it caught in their prop, they won't be able to get it free without tools that people don't typically have on the boat. You often have to take the prop off to get it free because the thinner cable can go between the gap between the prop and the lower unit on an outboard or I/O. That's not good for us for two reasons. First, it can result in complaints which will upset our status quo with the WRC, seconds if someone's boat is captive and they can't get free, they will end up pulling up the entire course and taking the mainline. It's also more difficult to repair SS mainlines when they do get damaged. 

Our group has used insta-slalom courses, accu-float, and ez slalom courses. And while they all have their pro's and con's, they don't seem all that different. I've also used insta-slalom mainlines and just made my own PVC booms as well. For courses that you leave in the lake, it's pretty easy to just glue together PVC pipes to make the booms since they don't really need to come apart if you aren't taking the course in and out. I've even made my own mainlines and when I do that, I make them in symmetrical sections that are connected together by SS carabiners. That way everyone that uses the course keeps an extra mainline section in their boat. If the course gets cut, we just replace the cut section. But I will say it's more time consuming making your own parts than it seems like it would be. So I think it's often worth the money to buy pre-made mainlines. 

I also have friends with houses on Gaston. One really close friend's house is around Lizard Creek. I mention that because I've been teaching their young adult daughter and her boyfriend to ski the course and they've asked me if I knew of anyone on Gaston with a course. And I do know about the course right outside the Lizard Creek culvert that I think is maintained by the Pro Wakeboarder that lives around there. So that's probably best option for her and her boyfriend. 

PM me if y'all want to come over and ski sometimes. You wouldn't need to bring any boats over. 

• Baller

Any course's mainline should be floating deep enough that it's well below a level a prop or any lower unit could reach. The main issue with AccuFloat is that all their arms are the heavy sch 40 PVC and all collapse into one  - making them very heavy and more of a PITA to work with in and out vs the much lighter thinner PVC sections from EZ Slalom, Insta-Slalom etc. Accufloat sections as noted have a lot more hardware as all connectors are the  pins which have to be inserted individually, vs the pop up buttons that are inside the sections on the others that snap into place. Again Accufloat is a great set up with the stainless lines etc for a permanent/semi perm install but compared to the others the hassle factor is much higher if using it as an in & out portable solution.     

• Like 1

• Baller
1 minute ago, MDB1056 said:

Any course's mainline should be floating deep enough that it's well below a level a prop or any lower unit could reach. 

Yeah, you would think that's the case, but our experience is that unfortunately it's just not always the reality. Our mainline is 5 feet down and people still snag it with props on average once a season. It's amazing how deep a badly trimmed I/O can grab a mainline. We've literally been out at the course and watched it happen. Never happens when they cross perpendicular to the course, it's always when they are running down the center over the mainline. So, I think there's as aspect that the prop pulls the line up. Our course is only in 7 feet of water, so that may be a factor as well. 

We've also seen cases when they get a boat guide line in the prop and it winds the course up and then pulls the mainline and pole into the prop. 

• Baller

@jpwhit - my poly mainline has bullet weights inserted about every 15-20 ft or so, plus tightening and end end anchor keeps the mainline 100% low and tight at buoy line length. I don't use anything heavy for buoy lines either that could foul a prop. Paracord is thin but very strong, yet will cut  easily with a prop hit. I've never had a paracord buoy line break on its own but have had them easily cut when hit by a prop.      

• Baller

I use basic 8in 50lb zip ties to secure both the buoy to the riser line and the riser line to the course PVC. Stupid cheap, easy to break away with excess load, and makes sinking/raising the course very easy for the off season. 

Will your permit allow you to leave the course in 24/7? I suspect that you would have far fewer issues if the course is always up. Just replace a few snagged buoys every so often. 

Edited by BrennanKMN

• Baller

All of our mainlines have lead weights. They aren't floating up above 5 feet when just sitting there. I've checked for that. We've even had the same thing happen with stainless steel mainlines. And they certainly don't float. 

• Baller
On 8/9/2023 at 11:39 AM, jpwhit said:

Yeah, you would think that's the case, but our experience is that unfortunately it's just not always the reality. Our mainline is 5 feet down and people still snag it with props on average once a season. It's amazing how deep a badly trimmed I/O can grab a mainline.  

I installed my course at a 6 foot depth on my public lake and I have never had an I/O snag the mainline.  I was worried about installing it at a 5' depth so I decided to go a little deeper.  My installation is a semi-permanent course that uses a SS mainline and 2" PVC.  Overall I have been very lucky with avoiding damage from other boats.

• Baller

I wish I was as lucky. Given it is a public course, I am glad people are enjoying the lake. I just wish when they accidentally snag my course with an anchor, they drop it... Hah.. 

I definitely couldn't ask for a permit to keep it up all the time. I believe the ski community is in a good spot with our local lake regs, I definitely do not want to rock that boat. 

I thought about getting some custom little signs (like animal ear tags) that I could spread down the course to say "waterski course, do not cut" to eliminate confusion that the line they snag is indeed intended to be there. 

I am leaning more and more towards the accufloat. 

Again, I am appreciative of everyone's input. 

Edited by SkiRVA