a good way to ruin your slalom ski

Horton

• Baller

I use new..! I buy them by the bag, 250 or 500 pieces a bag or by the 100 for the rarely used ones…

well… you can also soak them in discaler… if the head and threads are good, I see no reason throwing them away… they will be good as new…

Edited by skialex

• Administrators

@skialex

I'm amazed how crusty the screws were that I just pulled out of the ski I've been on for the last month. I threw them away immediately. like you, I buy them by the bag. All you have to do is ruin one slalom ski by getting a screw stuck in the insert to learn that lesson.

• Like 1

• Administrators

@jhughes

two houses ago, 9 years ago, I had a ceiling fan in my office. I can't tell you how many times I put skis into that fan. 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 3

• Baller
53 minutes ago, B_S said:

I haven't had to break loose mounting screws on a ski yet, but this stuff has saved me in other seized screw situations41UOyfMiWuL.jpg

There is no way I would let PB Blaster touch my ski. That stuff is so strong, I’d be worried about what it is doing to the ski materials and how far into foam it could soak and damage.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

Purple loctite works really well also.  If you have insets and are sick of snugging screws every few sets back the screws out one at a time once your ski is set and put a drop under the head of the screw and then snug it up.  

Purple is low strength and will seal the threads from water intrusion.

• Like 4

• Baller

Galvanic corrosion. Dissimilar metals create a battery in the presence of water.  Many ski ski manufacturers claim stainless or brass inserts, when they in fact are not.  Same is the case with off shore screw manufacturers - says stainless, but it is very poor quality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Baller_

@Horton is that screw from the ski in the background?  I will assume yes, but reason I am asking is I am riding the same brand and don't want to damage a new ski and they would batch buy the screws so logical to assume similar potential.  Screw / insert threads should be considered a maintenance item (remove, treat, check at a given frequency) similar to hardshell boot hardware, etc.

@wawaskr - +1 on potential inferior quality hardware, very easy to inadvertently end up with some. 

• Like 1

• Baller

@DW@Horton I ride said brand of ski in photo, and can tell you, although their advertising says "brass" on their inserts - they are not.  I have personally replaced inserts on their ski, and they are some type of pot metal, hence the corrosion with a stainless fastener.  I have even sent a ski in to have the inserts replaced, and one of the new inserts gave out.  After pulling out the bad insert, it revealed that the old insert was not fully removed from the ski prior to putting the new insert in.......if you want it done right......

• Like 1