Handles

fpjl

• Baller

I've use a control bar elliptical handle from Radar for the last several years. I'm looking to change. I like the elliptical but don't see other manufactures offering that shape. With the round handle what diameter do people prefer. My glove size is large and I generally prefer a larger diameter (I think) but overwhelmed by the many diameter options offered by Masterline and S-Lines. Thinking of 13 inch length. 

• Baller

This is a personal reference like many other things. I also shifted from an elliptical a few years ago.. Correctly you should be using the largest diameter that feels comfortable to you, to create the least amount of strain and wear on your hands . I wear medium gloves and use a 1.062 . Others I ski with use larger diameters (1.12 and even 1.18). If you ski with others ask to try their handles if you don't have a shop near to go grab some. Lot's of manufacturers options too as you've already read here in BOS . Personally I've been happy with Radar and HO handles and have not seen the need for more expensive options, although they don't offer as many diameter variations. Again , personal preference.  As to 12 vs 13 , another personal choice. The 13 gives more room in the event of a mis-grab  which happens to everyone. A 12 has been noted as assisting on keeping hands closer together which helps with arms positioning, so pro's there too.      Onward........

• Baller

The very best handle on the market today is the Radar Skis Vapor Barlock handle.  It has the best grip Ive ever had, is long lasting, and its very light.  Everything I look for in a handle and it retails for $89.99 and even has a curved option. 

https://radarskis.com/products/vapor-barlock

https://radarskis.com/products/vapor-barlock-arc

• Like 5

• Baller

I'm considering going to an anti roll handle.  Never used one before. 

Any feedback on that?

I have had elbow tendonitis and use a bent bar for years.  

One thing I notice is the masterline anto roll handle only comes in spectra.  I'm sure they would be able to make a poly version but love to hear peoples thoughts on either.

spacer.png

• Baller
1 hour ago, dave2ball said:

@Killer the anti roll it’s great I highly recommend it.  That ML that you posed is one of the best.    

I can think of one pro skier who may disagree. One of my ski partners got the ML Super Spectra and I can't say I'm super impressed. The ski protection tubing is a poor design. It is three separate sections of tubing and they use short sections of tubing from Y to handle. This causes the tubing to push up towards the handle and exposed sections of the spectra. Guy I ski with had to add tape at the Y to keep this from happening because his sharper edged ski was hitting the spectra. I'm also not a big fan of coating spectra with plastic. It's a strong material with good abrasion resistance on its own and I like that uncoated spectra is easy to inspect. I'm not sure how to properly inspect with the plastic coating.

• Baller_

I saw a very interesting handle recently. The rope attaches in the center of the handle rather than the ends. And if floats. Designed and used by a guy that can run -39 and recently won a gold medal at Pan Ams, and a mechanical engineer. It may need a rule change, though, to be legal in an L/R.  But you can’t put your head or arm through any part of it, so it’s pretty safe compared to what we all currently use. It takes a couple sets to get used to it but has advantages, such as it is easier to rotate your your shoulders when under load. It’s pretty interesting. 

• Like 2
  • Heterodox 1

Lpskier

• Baller
14 hours ago, Slalom.Steve said:

What is "anti roll" anyways? It "prevents the handle from rolling when you grip it or release it with one hand"... but I don't get what "rolling" means in this context. I've never felt like my handle was rolling anywhere lol. 

Correct!

If it "rolls" it is simply impossible to ski. It happened that rubber coating on (rental from ski spot) handle detached from alu bar. It was even impossible to start.

Normal handle cannot roll due to its construction

• Baller

@Killer I’m two seasons in on one of those handles and have been pleased.  It finally developed finger indentations, which happens with every handle I have used, and I plan to buy another. I used other Spectra handles but did not like how easily the line could get twisted around something. This only happened as I was jumping in the lake and the rope went tight, but I still did not like how the other one wrapped around my fingers. This doesn’t happen with the ML spectra. 

Conversely, I know a woman with the same handle and after one season she has a wear spot down to the metal. I use both kevlar and amara gloves, I don’t recall what she uses, but she takes good care of her gear.  Nevertheless, stuff wears out.