An incredible story of tournament safety and first responders

MISkier

• Baller_

@6balls, I heard a statistic that the survival rate for CPR is like 20% in a hospital and like 10% outside of a hospital. Does that sound about right?  The tournament was kind of in the middle of nowhere.

it was such a great response.  His son was just amazing during the whole situation and the whole team performed so well.

• Like 3

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Great result! Well done to all involved.

Regarding CPR statistics, don't believe the numbers. As a volunteer fireman/first responder, we are told to ignore the numbers and do our best in all circumstances. Yes, we are informed that the chance of survival in a hospital is better than in an urban environment, and even better than in rural situations to which I respond. Improvement in survival is mainly due to the speed of our response and AED. However, we are also told that the cause of the event is the major influencer. For example, the chance of recovery is far worse for an age related medical event such as cardiac arrest, even with swift medical attention, compared to accident events like drowning or electric shock, especially if a young person. So, the moral here is to ignore the numbers, do your best, hope for a miracle, but don't beat yourself up if it "fails". Importantly, know that you have done nothing wrong if you gave it your all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

Great job for all involved. Sounds like he had zero down time which was a huge difference.   
Ive been a  firemen for over 18 yrs plus 12 yrs as a medic  30 yrs on the streets. I’ve had my far share of codes and the only thing in common was quick CPR and an AED will make the biggest difference.  
More then a handful of tournaments are in the far out skirts of cities towns where EMS / fire have a long response time, it would not be a bad idea for an AED be part of the lake tournament kit. Unfortunately they are +/- 1K. But if it saves one life it was money well spent.  

• Like 4

• Baller_

@dave2ball, the Michigan Water Ski Association bought the AEDs after Jeff Smith (owner of Nautique dealer Silver Spray Sports) suffered cardiac arrest while skiing on vacation at Okeeheelee.  I believe he was also fortunate that two doctors were nearby and able to respond.

https://www.tctimes.com/news/local-water-skier-takes-first-at-nationals/article_cee608ea-c5c4-11e9-a003-3f1f466b05cd.html

• Like 1

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@MISkier good for your ski association.  I heard about Jeff. What saved his life was the observer  recognized what happened and started CPR right away. Unfortunately doctors are just like any other citizen when on the streets. They have CPR knowledge but Fire/EMS work under a county medical directors license. So unless a doctor wants  to take control  of the incident and or scene which includes riding to the hospital in the transport unit take care  the paper work they will stand out of the way.  

40 minutes ago, dave2ball said:

@MISkier good for your ski association.  I heard about Jeff. What saved his life was the observer  recognized what happened and started CPR right away. Unfortunately doctors are just like any other citizen when on the streets. They have CPR knowledge but Fire/EMS work under a county medical directors license. So unless a doctor wants  to take control  of the incident and or scene which includes riding to the hospital in the transport unit take care  the paper work they will stand out of the way.  

40 minutes ago, dave2ball said:

Great job by all involved!

• Baller

@jcamp that is a question for USA waterski.  If you or your club opp  to invest in one I would go talk with your local FD/transport  agency so the unit would be compatible with their defibrillator pads. That way it is just plug and play when giving care to the FD, an added benefit is that the department may swap out defibrillator pads when close to expired date. 
Zoll and Physio control are the 2 EKG/defibrillator monitors  used in the EMS/ FD departments 

• Like 1

• Baller

Good on the Michigan Water Ski Association to provide AED's.

We have a local skier that has their own AED and has made it available for local tournaments and even regionals in the past.

I am going to ask our local federation, (Washington and Oregon) to purchase a couple of them.

And to all that helped that day a big attaboy. I truly believe you will never forget your first code.

For me personally it was on Christmas day and watching someone go from Dead to breathing on their own after six rounds of CPR and one shock with the AED was life changing.

• Like 1

• Baller

32.5 Years in the Fire Service - I have learned that when your time comes it just comes..... sometimes it all works out and we save people but many times we do not.  Always error on the side of safety and your odds of living to an old age greatly improves.

"Do Better..."