Horton's Odd Ball Skis

Horton

• Baller

Surprisingly fun video.  Still surprised you had no success on the 3.1.  Loved that thing.  Not as good as the 5.3, of course.  (I suppose that's my #1 "oddball" ski.  Had the privilege of testing that out one year and it was freakin awesome.   Personally I liked it more than the c65 -- although the c75 left both in the dust.)

• Like 1

• Baller_

🤔 I gotta say I’m completely at odds with you on the Denali 3.1. I ran more 38s on that ski than all my other skies combined over a few decades. Maybe I was sent numbers that just worked. There were plenty to try. If I remember, they were not really looking to produce skis for the masses. And if memory serves me the Adams were mostly tossed into the fray of ski builders. Outed if you will, as some started to show up in the wild. So they went ahead and got a bunch of skiers at all levels to provide them feedback and learned from it which I think was maybe more of a goal then selling skis. Experimental fin settings was the order of the day back then and lots of them. IMHO it was a ski you had to accept as feeling different on the water than any other ski as well as feeling comfortable feeling different in order to appreciate it. A statement repeated by many that rode them. Oddball…?..perhaps. But as crazy as it may sound you could not pry that ski from my hands for anything. I still take it for spins now and then and it still rips. Can’t say the same for myself but for me it’s still a great ski to ride. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

@Wish

if it worked for you I can't tell you you're wrong but everything else Adam & Adam have made are much better. 65, 75, & 85 are way way way way way way way better.

• Baller

@HortonStill have 2 AM 33 skis.  Loved every ski that Andy ever made!  Also liked my Warp back in the day!  I like your fond memories of those skis.  Makes me want to go back and give my Mapples and Warp a rip!  Enjoyed your oddball video!  Off to Covington Ski Ranch for a set or two tomorrow😎.

• Like 3

• Baller

@Alvin_NeffI too still have my AM-33 and ALL of Andy's skis have been my favorites.  Given the years, not sure the adhesive securing the top and bottom to the internal ribs would still be solid on the AM-33.  I too would love to give it a rip, just not sure it would still hold up.  If you do ski, let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

• Administrators

@mfjaegersr

somehow I don't think the carbon v was oddball in its era. Goofy design but not rare. I guess. I wish I had one 🙂.

• Like 1