Ski Storage on Boat

101driver

• Baller

I am looking for good ideas to solve my ski storage on my boat. The wakeboarders stick 4 boards out on the tower which clears the boat. I don't have a tower. I can get one ski in each side pocket of my 1997 prostar 190. Two pairs of jump ski's in the front locker and then I am tripping over 3rd slalom ski and a couple of trick ski's. We are planning on a ski holiday next summer where we will be out all day every day with no dock to dump gear on, just skiing off the boat. There has to be a better way of storing ski's in the side or front locker or somehow so they don't clash together and can be easily accessible. I am an engineer with access to metal machining and wood shop so I can make some thing just need some inspiration as to what! Any Ideas appreciated.

• Baller

I've seen a flyhigh ski pole extension with a set of racks bolted to it, then the rope is just attached to a d ring just above normal ski pole level 

If you can machine, then it's just a 1/8th ali tube that slots over the pole, then cut out and reinforce around to keep access to the original rope mount and allow for rope swing.

• Baller

Honestly more storage/space was one of the bigger reasons I upgraded from my 1989 ProStar. Loved that boat but as the kids were getting bigger and wanted to bring friends & more gear, we were getting really cramped. Being a course skier I did not want to take a step backward in wake. As I enjoy footing and wakeboarding as well as slalom & trick, I found the 1999+ Malibu Response LX fit my needs very well. The trunk can hold a boom, skylon and several skis, and can even get a surprising amount of stuff under the passenger seat even with the open bow. If you're gonna stick with the MC then definitely build a custom rack off the pylon. I contemplated doing that on my MC before switching. Good luck!

• Baller

@chrislandy Well for the holiday in France we were planning on using the Fly high pole just to get the rope up so I can put the back seat in and use it when some one is skiing. I never thought of attaching racks to it. Exactly the sort of new idea I was hoping someone would come up with. Definitely get a couple of trick skis on that, slalom skis might be a bit unwieldy? Yes I can weld.

@Ray Not a bad idea I do have an inflatable and  a small rib about that size which I could tow behind, not sure about skiing and towing..........probably just use it as a portable dock, that would work on some days when on holiday and no dock. We intend to have 3 ski boats all pretty full so just having a floating platform to chuck ski's ice box etc etc in.

@Horton NO....NO.....NO That is exactly what I would normally do...........It's supposed to be a ski holiday not a pioneering adventure with me lashing bits of drift wood together. 

• Baller

@BraceMaker Thanks for your reply, the problem is really in two parts. I have built a ski rack for my caravan awning and another on the dock. So at my home lake we can manage with swapping stuff out. I could still do with better storage on the boat so we can store kit properly and avoid the risk of damage and just for convenience, this solution works but isn't great. The Holiday trip is the driver for me dealing with this problem. we go out from the slipway, no pontoons anymore just a hydro lake which is very deep and then follow the river through the gorge for miles with no docks. We are out all day, probably 3 to 5 in the boat with food drink and gear for the day. 

• Baller

@Jody_Seal Nice job well executed, I am thinking of cutting back into my side ski pockets in a similar way, not as much gain as you got but if I could then fit some removable ski racks for the slalom ski's that might work, possibly get 3 ski's in instead of 1.

@Kevin89MCI am really trying to avoid the boat upgrade, but I can't argue with the wisdom of your logic. I thought when the kids left home I would get more boat space back.............ah well. If and when grandkids arrive I fear I will have to take your advice. On the other point ski racks on the fly high pole does seem to be a very good idea

• Baller

We struggle with that too the lake we're on is connected to a chain that is boatable for over 70 miles and when we have a group of people skiing we do use a pontoon or 2 different ski boats.  Figuring out if anyone can share skis is key, removing bindings helps like if you have trick skis plural can you rotate the rear binding and share one?

One of the best thing about hardshell bindings is when released the ski gets far more compact.

It may be that you could pop the skis onto the top of the bow using something like these suction cup mount ski racks.  https://www.seasucker.com/collections/ski-racks/products/ski-rack

Another "free" storage area is to raise the rear bench seat up ~4" so things can go under it.  

• Baller

@fu_man yes you are right I intend to leave my jump ski's out. My daughter however absolutly loves her jump ski's jumping off the wakes and just messing about, with miles of canyon river to ski a pair of jump ski's eat up the miles with easy skiing enjoying the beautiful natural surroundings whilst having fun. Your point is valid.

• Baller

@BraceMakerGreat advice thank you. The Rear bench seat has never been refitted since the boat got reupholstered because it doesn't fit. I need to reengineer it, that needs to happen before the holiday and raising it would simplify the problem! two strikes for one.  The suction cups !!!!! wow, why did I not think of those...... I did a road vehicle project at work a few years back and the sort you suggest with the safety suction indicator on the side were brilliant. Fit the rack for when I need it, take it off when back home, no drilling boat. The reflex system is my most researched ski stuff this past year, makes a lot of sense storage wise too..... now can I use that excuse to convince myself to take the plunge and switch from old school rubber to modern boots?