cleaning Binder screws?

disland

• Baller

I have a bunch of binder screws that have lake residue which make them tight and I dont want to inadvertently back out any inserts.

Is there an easy way to clean them?

Or just throw them out and buy new ones?

Anyone have a link to buy them cheap on line?

@horton I think I remember you saying you just bought a big bag of them, where did you get them?

• Administrators

@disland Every decent size city has an industrial nut and screw store or you can find them online. Personally I find the nut and screw stores to be entertaining.

As far as fixing your own screws.... Maybe it is worth your time but I throw them out. Better safe then sorry. A few dollars worth of stainless screws is a lot cheaper than a ski with a seized screw. You only have to break off on screw inside a ski you love to learn this lesson. 

The other cool thing about the screw store is you can get a variety of heads and lengths. Below is a Radar screw and some random screws from my shop. Just remember - all standard binding inserts are 8-32 and if the screw is too long bad things can happen.

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

• Baller_

McMaster Carr sells the full spectrum of screws in bulk.  A dab of anti seize during installation will help the corrosion issue but handle carefully.  I’ve had luck cleaning with brake clean or carb cleaner (can with a dip bin so you can let them soak in the solution).

• Like 1

• Baller

I buy new screws by the 100s, but why not cleaning the ones that have no wear and only have salts that can be removed with a good discaler? Picks are before and after the use of a good discale solution that I buy at a cleaning product store, by the lt. 

5F57A714-8BB5-4B31-93AB-9E475717A85A.jpeg

B90FF88C-F79A-4BCA-B119-803891B0B8C7.jpeg