Cost to put in a slalom course?

MitchellM

• Baller
7 hours ago, lpskier said:

I submitted a permit application for a jump on public water in February 2014 in New York. I am still waiting for a decision. I’ll probably get it since I sold my  NY lake house and moved the jump to South Carolina…

That's the concern about going through proper channels.  I'm not really sure how long this process will take.  I gather most courses are put in without permits.

• Baller

@lpskier We usually don't have an issue with the course bending. The come along giving out is usually what causes the course to start bending. IT sometimes loosens, so I just give it 2-3 cranks and we are good to go.  I hardly ever have to touch it. Sometimes if a buoy gets cut loose the string on the replacement is too long and the course can bend a bit. I shorten the string and it corrects.  We use mason string to attach the buoys so if they get snagged they will easily break off.  Not sure how long our anchor lines are since they were put in over 25 years ago. 

• Baller
On 12/3/2023 at 9:59 AM, lpskier said:

I submitted a permit application for a jump on public water in February 2014 in New York. I am still waiting for a decision. I’ll probably get it since I sold my  NY lake house and moved the jump to South Carolina…

Well, the state DEP just responded to my application.  Apparently this process will take anywhere between 3-12 months.  I am already starting to regret going through proper channels.

• Baller
On 12/5/2023 at 9:12 PM, MitchellM said:

Well, the state DEP just responded to my application.  Apparently this process will take anywhere between 3-12 months.  I am already starting to regret going through proper channels.

Hey @MitchellM. I did the permit process in Winter Haven 5~ years ago. It wasn't as bad as I expected. They guy was very helpful. I think I had it all done in 3 months. 

I can send you a copy of my completed application so you can see what I was required to do. Hopefully, the process hasn't changed too much. Send me a PM if you want a copy.

• Baller
On 12/7/2023 at 2:03 PM, o2bnMaine said:

Hey @MitchellM. I did the permit process in Winter Haven 5~ years ago. It wasn't as bad as I expected. They guy was very helpful. I think I had it all done in 3 months. 

I can send you a copy of my completed application so you can see what I was required to do. Hopefully, the process hasn't changed too much. Send me a PM if you want a copy.

Bill, thanks for sending me your completed application.  It was very helpful.  I'm encouraged that your process only took 3 months.  After seeing  what you submitted, I submitted my own photoshopped aerial view for my course.

lake agnes slalom course agnes.jpg

• Like 5

• Baller
16 hours ago, MitchellM said:

After just 3 months, a load of emails, two telephone conferences and I don't want to know how much in application fees, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection just sent me a Notice of Intent to Issue a Permit.

I now have to publish this notice in the legal section of the local newspaper and await public comments over the next 30 days.  If there is no public discussion, I may actually have my course installed by April.  

Very exciting news!

Great news!!

It wouldn't hurt to have a few typos in there. Make it harder for people to recognize what you're doing?!

• Like 1

• Baller
5 minutes ago, o2bnMaine said:

Great news!!

It wouldn't hurt to have a few typos in there. Make it harder for people to recognize what you're doing?!

Great idea!  $277 to place this legal notice in the local newspaper.    I'm now at over $800 in fees alone for this course before I even pay Travers.

• Baller
22 minutes ago, DvarianDan Johnson said:

@MitchellM - please remind us - what course did you buy to install? Permanent? Anchor types, etc? If buried back in the thread my apologies . Post pics once in! 

This will be a permanent course put in by Jon Travers.  I'm hoping some of you will come by and help me break it in over the next few months.  I'm just a newbie learning to ski and hoping I can improve with my own course.

@GWaterski???

• Like 1

• Baller
1 hour ago, MitchellM said:

This will be a permanent course put in by Jon Travers.  I'm hoping some of you will come by and help me break it in over the next few months.  I'm just a newbie learning to ski and hoping I can improve with my own course.

@GWaterski???

Remind me what city you’re in? 

• Baller
On 4/22/2024 at 5:52 PM, MitchellM said:

@GWaterski???

We are excited to come over!

• Like 1

• Baller
On 4/22/2024 at 5:52 PM, MitchellM said:

@GWaterski???

Sign me up. You have a dedicated slalom I can use? I'll bring my own rope and vest! IPA's or gas cash too. 

• Like 1

• Baller

@MitchellMSo great to see the rare thread like this on putting IN a new course as more the news of late years is more on losing them.  I'm sure you're going to have no trouble getting ballers to show up and ski. Just the fair warning you are likely already well aware of, the addiction is 5X stronger with your own course now available.  You'll be running deep short line in no time .   Enjoy!

• Like 2

• Baller
31 minutes ago, DvarianDan Johnson said:

@MitchellMSo great to see the rare thread like this on putting IN a new course as more the news of late years is more on losing them.  I'm sure you're going to have no trouble getting ballers to show up and ski. Just the fair warning you are likely already well aware of, the addiction is 5X stronger with your own course now available.  You'll be running deep short line in no time .   Enjoy!

I hope you're right. At 15 off and 25mph, I've only got one way to go!

• Like 1