Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

How do you re-purpose your old slalom line?

r_maniak

• Baller

They take the tennis nets down in the fall and my daughter was a state level competitor.  On a nice fall day we took a rope, put it over the posts and ran it across with dumb bells tied to the ends to keep tension.  Basically a tennis "tape" without the net but we managed.   She now coaches tennis at 2 clubs in L.A. and private lessons too.   

• Like 1

• Baller
11 hours ago, Kimbymon said:

Used an older masterline rope to measure cord length needed for a portable generator.  It's -28off from the basement window to the fridge.  🤣

This is why skiing needs to just be metric.  This is why America should adapt the metric system as a whole.

How long is -28? No one really knows. How long is 14.25m? It’s 14.25m. 

How many feet in a mile? 5280. Weird. 

How many meters in a kilometer? 1000. Wow, that makes sense. 

I’m Mike and I’m running for president.

• Like 1

• Baller_

Preach on @Mastercrafter Using how much rope is coiled in the bottom of a boat for line length description was/is so crazy that even ESPN refused to announce in feet off when waterskiing was part of ESPNs Hot Summer Nights and in its heyday. 

To be fair, metric is used in tournament scoring in the US. 

But if pro skiers are in front of Joe public ..for the love of Pete ..announce in feet on or only metric. It’s like only telling the crowd that the jumper is X feet short of the record of X. And never saying how long his jump was. 

• Baller

I would have learned the metric rope lengths a lot sooner if ESPN did use that terminology. They dumbed it down for skiers like me that still measured a rope by how much was in the boat. Guess towards the end they switched to how many feet were on.  I can’t get myself to throw out a $100 rope that’s a year or two old , so I keep them around so that they get a second life on the land. And of course , they are  “ feet off “ ropes 🤣

Edited by rawly
Incorrect info