Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Elbow pain

Groot

• Baller

I’ve got pretty bad golfers elbow and tried a variety of treatments and techniques but it’s still pretty sore. Does anyone have any tips ? Anyone had any experience with the goode power vest and if you think it would help. Thanks a lot 

• Baller

@Groot I have had golfer's elbow off and on over the past 15 years.  I have tried many different rehab exercises and products to help it but two months ago I purchased https://progripz.shop/ (set of 3).  It really works your extensors and after only two weeks I was 50% better and two weeks after that I have no pain no matter how much I am lifting now its the offseason.  Issues cropped up about mid-July and was still dealing with it when I quit skiing in November.  I plan on using these also during ski season.  They take about 2 weeks to arrive and for only $15 SO well worth it!  Just don't overdo it at the beginning.  PM me if you have any questions.  Good Luck.  Dave B.

• Baller
3 hours ago, Groot said:

I’ve got pretty bad golfers elbow and tried a variety of treatments and techniques but it’s still pretty sore. Does anyone have any tips ? Anyone had any experience with the goode power vest and if you think it would help. Thanks a lot 

I've been using a Power Vest for about five years and really love it. If the glove length is adjusted just right, you really don't know you're using it AND it takes a huge load off your arms, elbows and lower back when you engage the vest and want to just ski. Hard to explain the actual dynamics but while you're skiing I notice that I just need medium fingertip pressure to hold onto the rope and the pull is more of a feeling that you're getting pulled through the legs and hips and less of your arms. Hope that helps.

• Baller

bigger diameter handle 

bent / ergo  handle

never use old ropes, stiff ropes, or spectra line handles

meloxicam aka mobic is my drub of choice

always do deep water starts with 2 palms down.

• Like 3

This is an extra account for @Horton 

If you see posts from this account it means I am working on something. 

• Baller
3 minutes ago, John Horton said:

bigger diameter handle 

bent / ergo  handle

never use old ropes, stiff ropes, or spectra line handles

meloxicam aka mobic is my drub of choice

always do deep water starts with 2 palms down.

meloxicam aka mobic is my drug of choice

This is an extra account for @Horton 

If you see posts from this account it means I am working on something. 

• Baller

I would echo what others have said. Try different handle sizes or configurations. That has made the biggest different for me (I'm on a 1.06). It also helps to really let it rest over the offseason. Do lightweight weights exercises during the offseason as well. Don't keep injuring it by using heavy weights. Definitely try a new rope. 

• Baller

Got this tip from a friend (who is a doctor). Use your fingertip and find the spot where it really hurts. Massage this spot hard until you almost cant hold your tears back. Do this every morning and evening for a couple of weeks. It really worked for me. No jumping dock starts allowed !!!!

• Like 3

• Baller

I have battled tennis elbow (from racquetball) for a number of years, and I've had a bit of golfer's elbow over the years as well, but I don't golf a ton so that typically doesn't get too bad.  (I'm a lefty golfer and righty for racquet sports so the right elbow gets all the abuse.) Fortunately it doesn't seem to bother my skiing, as it usually gets a little better in the summer when I stop playing racquetball and start skiing. I've talked to a few doctors about it, and they gave me a few exercises and massage techniques and they do help. It was getting pretty bad in 2019, then the racquetball season got cut a bit short from Covid so that heled some, but it did come back. When we got pretty much shut down for a season in 2020 it finally mostly went away. I think the long rest was the main thing that healed it. One doctor said that once it gets pretty inflamed, it needs a long time to heal as there is not a lot of blood flow right where the tendon attaches to the bone. Right after that I started wearing a compression sleeve (per doctor's recommendation) on my elbow when playing and that helps to really keep it at bay. Not sure if that would help for golfer's elbow though. However it might force me to keep my elbow straighter!

John I noticed you said to always get up both palms down. I've never done that but seen other people doing that. I wondered if that was just the way they learned, or if that was to be easier on the arms. I'll have to try and see if it helps me.

Kevin

• Baller

I had golfers elbow.  (Inside) 2 summers ago.  Did PT, forearm brace etc.  long story short after time off the solution for me was bent handle, palms down starts and most importantly clincher type gloves w the towels (Radar Vice for example).  I really think it was more the gloves 🧤 than anything else.  Not sure if the PT, palms down starts and bent handle made  really helped or not.  Gloves for sure.  Plus no blisters or even wear on hands or gloves.   Takes a minute to get used to them but it was all the difference for me. 

• Baller

Mine flared up last year. I rested it, used compression sleeves, use the squeeze balls, and squeeze twist tubes, finally had enough and just went after it in the weight room and did everything that hurt it: deadlifts, pull ups, rows, everything.  It felt like hell at the time, but I recall within a week I felt normal again. I think there’s something to be said for engaging the surrounding structure and not babying it.  There was for me anyway.