Course Skiing after Heart Surgery

ESPNSkier

• Baller

I’m a 68 year old course skier and I had open heart surgery to replace my aortic valve 4 weeks ago. Recovery is coming along nicely and I’m hoping to ski again at 12 weeks (after the sternum heals up a bit). My Surgeon thinks this is doable.  Does anyone out there know someone who is running the course after AVR surgery? Just looking for some advice on things to avoid (like an OTF fall)! I think I have at least one more PB in me and I can’t wait to get back out there!

• Like 2

• Baller

You should be good for another 100,000 miles now. Didn’t have AVR but my cardiac event was 20 yrs ago and best thing that ever happened to me, as it saved my life forward. I quit all the bad and became the poster boy for cardiac rehab . Never looked back. Just turned 67. You’ll be back to 100% . Regardless, we should all avoid OTF’s as they rarely end well. Go ski ! 

• Like 1

• Baller_

@ESPNSkierOnce again I am looking for the awesome button but still can't find one - but I will be anxiously watching your progress. I assume you are doing some type of training/PT program to get your sternum/chest muscles healthy again.  The more you do, the quicker & healthier you will ski. 

• Baller
12 hours ago, ESPNSkier said:

I’m a 68 year old course skier and I had open heart surgery to replace my aortic valve 4 weeks ago. Recovery is coming along nicely and I’m hoping to ski again at 12 weeks (after the sternum heals up a bit). My Surgeon thinks this is doable.  Does anyone out there know someone who is running the course after AVR surgery? Just looking for some advice on things to avoid (like an OTF fall)! I think I have at least one more PB in me and I can’t wait to get back out there!

Well done man, I hope you get you're PB, just having the attitude to get back out there, you have already won. I am sure you are an inspiration to those around you.

My advice, after an AVR in 2010 and a TAVR in 2021 and just turned 70, is the following.  1) Avoid military presses and other HEAVY chest lifting (and go easy with the pushups), although high rep strength building is fine; 2) build core (stomach and back) and leg strength (and guns for show); 3) get as much pro coaching as you can; 4) lose weight (helps with the 6-pack); and 5) don't fall!  

• Like 1

• Baller

Absolutely doable! I got split open just before Thanksgiving 2018 and was skiing again in March 2019 better than ever. I didn't even have any of the usual soreness at the start of the season which I attribute to the rehab.  Winter 2019 I slacked off with the exercise and experienced the usual early season soreness in 2020.  When I was recovering from the surgery I jokingly asked the surgeon when I could bench. After the slow start in 2020, I thought "why not"?  I started powerlifting after a 40 year break and set all 4 of the IPA World Records in my division in 2022. I was considering taking up Olympic lifting as well, but on cleans the bar hitting that titanium wire poking out at the top of my sternum hurts! 😛 . Oh... and I did set a new 5 ball PB in 2021, but I'm attributing that to Denali!

20210303_083008.jpg

• Like 4

• Baller

Thank you so much for the positive feedback and encouragement! @jhardin and @dchristman, you guys are an inspiration and it's great to hear form folks who are actively skiing again after this procedure! I'm just starting Cardio Rehab and not yet doing any strength building but that is next. I also see that I need to add a tattoo to the scar!

@jhardin your recommendations are right on the money, particularly #3 as I believe that pro coaching is the best thing you can do in this sport. I knocked around @ -15 and -22 off for 40 years before I went to see Matt Rini. He took me from -22 to -35 off within 2 years and all of my recent PBs have been set at Matt Rini's Ski School. I am so much more focused when I ski there and it's awesome to be able to sit and chat with the pro skiers who are just the nicest people you could meet.

• Like 1