Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Water Ski Jump

101driver

• Baller

UK Free water ski jump to good home.

This is really sad for me, the site where I ski has changed insurance and unfortunately the water ski jump has to go. This has been very much my baby so..................The site owner has said if I can find a GENUINE club where people will use it they can have it for free. Obviously we will lift it out with a crane but new owner will have to dismantle and transport away.

I have fought to keep the jump for many years so very disappointing. If we can't find a new home it will be burn't on the bank and scrapped which I have no control over and obviously is a loss to our ski world. Anybody who knows of a good home in the UK where it will be looked after and used please message me.

• Like 2

• Baller

@BraceMaker Sadly no, we already had that in place which makes it all the more frustrating. So you understand my background I have worked as a safety manager and now have key safety management responsibilities with in the chemical industry. I have levered that knowledge and experience over the past few years to help the site owner manage the risks in order that the insurance company will "tolerate" the perceived risk. I feel that we have done this very well. The jump is locked off when not in use, is inspected by a competent recorded in the safety management system person before use to a specified list which was defined in the risk assessment. Only trained jumpers who have been trained at a BWSW approved jump training site are allowed to jump. The procedures are those of our governing body BWSW and insurance liability then is with the boat owners insurance and the individual jumpers who have to be BWSW members abiding by their rules and also covered by their insurance.

So no liability to site insurance....................New insurance company not interested.......will not discuss, their statement is..... anything in the water is a risk and must be removed. They are now arguing about the jetties. I give up they will be claiming the ski buoys ducks and swans are a risk next, I just hope they don't see that giant fixed structure at our lake.................the lakeside bank. Sorry for rant but I am very upset about this, I have worked hard to mitigate real risk and manage them in a professional way. Emotive decision by non professional assessor is how I see it.

@chrislandy Steve has a jump at oxford so is sorted, but I was going to ask him if he knows of anyone else when I see him in a few weeks for coaching.

• Baller

I remember in the 70's when our new jump was never used for the 1st year after installation, someone decided, after some drink probably, that everyone should learn. So nearly all the club members had a go in one afternoon. 8-year-olds to 60-year-olds. And with steel-toe-capped wooden Kathro jump skis. Some of us actually skied away. Most could walk after 😀.  Great days

Sorry to hear your aggro. Try...

Chris at CJM Waterski ? https://www.cjmskiandwake.com

or Dave at https://www.chichesterwatersports.co.uk

• Like 1

• Baller

@101driver We may be interested at the Rickmansworth Club. Have wanted to get a jump back on the lake for many years but funds have never allowed. A "free" one would be fantastic but we would have to check out insurance as well.

• Like 1

• Baller

@Jtim3032 That is great to hear, I have one other potential interested party. I had a site safety meeting with the owner yesterday. We are leaving it where it is until the crane arrives for bungee jumping and will lift it out then. 

If you send me an email address I will photograph the jump when I start sorting the slalom course out in two weeks time and you can then discuss with your colleagues if it is what you want