What is your Spring routine?

• Administrators

I guess we do this every year so here we go again.

Personally, In the Spring, I try to run a LOT of balls at my normal opening pass. The goal is to both run a lot of passes and to also do so as technically correct as possible.  In the last 4 days I ran about 36 passes / 206 balls. I will not shorten until at least 1/2 of these passes are about as technical as I can do.

What is your Spring routine?

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I am not as disciplined as you guys.  Back to backs for sure but I start at 28 and spend much more time at 32.  

My routine typically starts in a late March/ early April warm spell with expectations of regular training.  It lasts no more than a week then it’s typically raining or otherwise unskiable until mid/late May…

• Like 1

• Baller_

Free skiing until the water temperature exceeds 50 degrees and we get frequent days in the 60s (usually somewhere in April).  Then, we run buoys - openers for a while and then start regular training and working on tips from late in the previous season.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Usually slow the boat down to 33.5 and work on opener. Not really trying to run buoys but more to establish a rhythm and wake up the ski muscles. Depending on how the sets feel I will cut to 32. By several sets in, again depending on how everything feels, may up the boat speed but will stay at 28 and 32 mostly and end with a 35 to see how that feels. Works for me but I'm always open to suggestions...

• Administrators

@ghutch

If your goal is to run as many balls as possible this summer, I would certainly prescribe a different approach.

I am a strong proponent of a more methodical approach. My thinking is that the more time spent skiing at a level where you are challenged but run every pass confidently is much more valuable. Hundreds of balls turned in control and striving for technical goals results in muscle memory. This will pay off later in the season when you are looking for higher scores.

My method is roughly, to stay at my opener and run a lot of passes until I can run pass after pass with minimal effort and feel like I am hitting my technical goals. Then and only then will I shorten 1 loop and do the same thing. For the first month or two of the season, I firmly believe that running 6 or 8 passes per ride as technically as possible is much more beneficial than barely running or missing a harder pass.

Even mid-season, at least ½ of my rides will consist of 32 off x 2 and 35 off x 4 or 6 passes. 38 is my nemesis, and my goal is to run as many 38s as possible. Burning up the rope every ride to try to run the hard pass results in more time spent skiing on the ragged edge and more time spent scrapping.  This will degrade your skills.

There must be a balance. Clearly, if you want to run your hard pass you have to work on it but if you spend too much time missing passes or scrapping you are literally practicing skiing badly.

On the other hand, if my method sounds like it sucks all the fun out of skiing I understand that also.

• Like 5

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@Horton I definitely think that is the best method for success later in the season.  I did that for many years.

These days my spring routine is to run, jump, and work core strength with "my" high jumpers and pole vaulters, and then somewhere around June just jump into the slalom course and see what I can do.  It's not as effective as the "serious" way, but it's more effective than you might guess, as some of the muscle patterns are similar.

• Like 1

• Baller

Free ski until we get the course floating in a couple weeks. Once the course in I'll run -15 for a few sets, if feeling good I'll shorten to -28 pretty quickly, that is where i'll stay for a while.  I can run -28 pretty routinely, -32 is harder and still pretty scrappy, -35 has not yet fallen for me.

• Like 1

• Baller

@Horton no your method definitely doesn't sound like it sucks all the fun out, I'm getting to ski no matter the rope length. It does make sense and lessens your chances of skiing incorrectly. It has clearly worked for you and your skiing looks really good. My goal obviously is to run as many buoys as possible, especially 38. I usually stay at my opener pass until it does feel pretty easy and I'm not making a bunch of mistakes. For some reason, and I'm not complaining, I can smooth out my 32 a whole lot better and usually work there.  Love hearing how everyone gets back into their season. Come on summer!!!!!

• Like 1

• Baller

Drive down to my buddy's house to pickup the boat from winter storage

A couple of days in the driveway to make sure all systems are go (might need a new steering cable)

Do a few sets of open water skiing (got some new bindings to evaluate)

Raise the course, clean off the buoys, check the complete system

Then daily 6:30 AM passes with hot coffee in the boat with plenty of friends

Not a bad life

• Like 3

• Baller

@Horton I would appreciate it if you critiqued this strategy. I have got this so wrong for so many years and I only have so many left to get to where I want to. So if you think something is wrong in what I say please tell me.

Firstly I am self taught, never had a lesson until about 4 years ago and I had every fault you would not want a skier to have. I smashed my ankle so I have swapped to LFF which has made it a bit more challenging. So each year I worked on something and I improved. I was pretty good at 32 15off and really hoping to get to 34. Last year I realised I needed to start again. So I found a good instructor and went back to 28 and spent all season working on body posittion and technique, about 3/4 through season started skiing 30 nicely head wind tail wind no problem easily adjusted. 

WHAT I WANT: I want to ski technically well, of course I want buoys but I know skiing raggy will not give me what I want. I get more pleasure skiing in control, a gust of wind hits and I can stay in control and catch up.

So last years strategy worked, I am hardly loading the line at all now a brief lean against the rope at 15% of my old line load behind the boat and I have all the time in the world. End of season my instructor has told me to now start increasing my speed again.

Question @Horton I think my strategy worked last year, and I got what I wanted, but I think I spent way to long at 28 and I kind of got stuck there a bit. My base strategy is exactly what you advocate to ski just below my maximum pass and practice good technique to build muscle memory and reinforce correct technique. However in my case having skiied incorrectly for years and only last year started skiing properly and done so much work to get there over past 3 years, I am scared of pushing too hard and starting to get the old bad habits back. But If I don't push a bit I will get stuck at 30 or 32 like I got stuck at 28 last year. I think your strategy is perfect for me, but I am not sure when and how much to push.

My current plan is open at 28, if first pass ok go to 30 I like 30 it's easier in some ways. Practice 30 if skiing technically ok for 3-4 sets. get on bike go see instructor, check if still skiing correctly. Then ................I don't know. if ok do I push or stick if so how long and when I do push how to do this with out slipping back into bad habits. I video every pass and check after 2 passes before continuing.

Any advice appreciated

• Administrators

@101driver

What I have to say about how to program your personal skiing assumes you know what you need to work on or have good coaching.  Much of the point is about practicing skiing correctly and not practicing bad habits.

How to apply this is going to be different for everyone.  The root of what I advocate comes from a talk I heard at the US Olympic Training Center 30 years ago. I wrote the below post 10 years ago

https://www.ballofspray.com/forums/topic/34976-intensity-vs-volume/

For you, I would try something like this:

Every 2 or 3 sets in a row you stay at the hardest pass you can run 100% of the time - in control.

Every 4th set you progress to your hardest pass and hammer away at it.

Then every few weeks do the opposite routine for 4 sets and progress to your hardest pass 3 rides in a row. Then return to the original schedule. If you are banging out PBs then do more of the Intensity rides. If you find that you are in a slump do extra Volume rides. You have to adjust for your skiing and goals. 

As long as you are not A ) progressing to the point of failure every ride or  B ) Never trying progressing to your hardest pass and you are self-aware you are likely on the right track

I hope this is helpful.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@Horton Thank you I really appreciate you taking the time to give a comprehensive answer. That really helps. Reading the background was very helpful. I tend to get a bit stuck, changing things helps but I have lacked structure eg I will just push up 2 speeds for a set to knock myself out of a rut. I really think this structured approach will work very well for me using the system that you suggest. Thank you.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Since this subject reemerged in the last week, I have thought about it a lot. Part of the problem with any approach to slalom skiing but especially the traditional  6 passes starting with an easy opening pass and progressing to a pass that you cannot run, is a lack of constructive repetition. 

Consider this scenario: Your opening pass is quite easy, mainly serving as a warm-up for your muscles. The subsequent passes, up to the third or fourth, are at an intermediate level that you run with confidence. There might even be a back-to-back pass in there. Your final two or three passes are at a level where you struggle to complete or cannot run them at all.

The first 6 balls are warm-up. Maybe important but it is unlikely that you are learning anything or reinforcing any good habits.
The next 12 to 18 balls you are in the zone where “if” you execute technically or not, you will feel the difference. This is the time when you should be aware of mistakes and learn from them. This is where foundational skills are put into muscle memory.

For the last 12 balls you are likely hair on fire and mostly try to survive to achieve a score you are proud of. 

In this scenario

• 1/6 of the ride was a throwaway
  • 1/3 or 1/2 has the potential to be building good foundational habits 
  • 1/3 or 1/2 are likely enforcing bad habits

Does this look like a plan for building foundational skills and getting ready for a successful tournament season?

Don’t get me wrong – tournament sets are critical in season. You have to invest a portion of your season banging at your hardest pass. You have to balance this with the fact that missing passes or running them late and narrow is literally practicing skiing poorly.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@Horton Please critique, everyone else I am not suggesting YOU do this,this is my strategy for my personal battle. I am 15 off so lower ranks.

My thoughts this week have been how to use my time effectively and these thoughts mirror some of @Hortoncomments above. My goal as already stated is to ski LESS this year but really make what I do count and focus. Smashing my self against that wall at the limit practicing bad habits endlessly does not work for me. 

I need to warm up, both on and off water so I am going to steel a strategy I have seen a few skiers much better than me use. First one or probably 2 passes just do edging drills (basically pull out and then cross course gate) This is to warm up but also to fix or cement my body position before I start. This is my number 1 objective x-course in position stay in position. (I am 15 off level this is why). Skip lower speed its just a waste and serves no purpose, go straight to my volume set speed and practice volume. If my rota says intensity day then I will do same but after 6 clear volume, I will start pushing up the buoy count. Check video every second pass on volume, check in with coach regularly and use volume to do what he says I should focus on. Get coach to check my home skiing video volume sets.

• Baller

So you have me thinking again about this.....  and this would be into the season as well, not just the start. Start out at usual line, speed, etc.. Maybe stay there or go to the next line. Feels pretty good...work on your harder passes. And I like to do this before getting "tired" from repeated earlier passes. On those days it feels good....work on the harder passes. My thinking is if the openers feel good, possibly I'm skiing correctly or will have a better shot at learning my harder ones. And on those days where nothing feels right.. work on technique or pick some other area that needs work. Thoughts? Some days maybe good.. some days maybe crap!

• Like 1

• Baller

One thing I learned a few years back was to make every pass count.

Despite having every intention of practicing with purpose sometimes you get in the boat with your buddies, get to gabbing while you put on your gear and jump in.  Next thing you know you're in the course and skiing with no plan.

Have a plan and execute it from the start.  You may decide to change it on the fly, but have a plan.

Mindless skiing is essentially worthless if your goal is to progress.

• Like 2