Do you have back problems? Listen to Dr. Eric Goodman

• Administrators

@AdamCord Showed me the classic "Original 12 Minute Foundation Training Workout by Dr. Eric Goodman" video a number of years ago https://youtu.be/4BOTvaRaDjI?si=2YfqBzY3d_0k2TwO  This video has become an underground thing that lots of skiers use. 

@twhisper sent me a link to an interview of Dr. Goodman today. It is super interesting. 

• Like 5

• Baller

I'll have to watch the interview in multiple sessions but the first quarter of it is pretty awesome. I'm not a fan of chiro but all the back/core/pelvis physiology is super interesting to me as a tall, lean guy. Does anyone here do the original 12 minute daily? 

• Baller

This is a great 12 min routine for those with back pain looking to improve condition. However, as you continue to do this routine there will be diminishing returns as your body becomes used to the stress. 

While it’s often demonized, progressive overload of the lumbar spine through a pain free range of motion will improve the strength and active range of motion in the low back. This will not just alleviate back pain but will reduce injury risk and improve performance far more than a stretching routine. 

If it alleviates pain and that helps you ski/feel better, get after it….but the research on stretching in fit individuals shows modest improvements at best. If you only have 60 minutes or less allotted to exercise daily and are in good enough shape to run the slalom course; spending your time resistance training (and training cardio respiratory fitness)  will allow stimulus on the same muscles in stretching (hamstrings,lumbar flexors/extensors) with much greater opportunity for continued gains.

• Baller

Came across this in the Fall of 22, Have had  2 consistent ski seasons since with little to no niggles or pain that I usually experience. 
I probably do 2 to 3 times a week alternating between the new and old 12 minute videos. 
Find it extremely beneficial, most telling to me was surfing a week back after nearly 2 years off, back then I struggled to get to my feet through a lack of range of motion. 
This time I got to my feet easily and quickly.

@Horton the newer video makes you torque your body harder in my opinion with fewer different exercises.

• Like 1

• Baller

I have had low left side back pain for many years. For the last five years the pain wakes me up in the morning. Then I move to the floor and stretch, acupressure, to function for the day. I spend an average of four days a week at the gym and I am very active for 59 years old. I found this training video here and started it. I have not woken up in pain once since starting this. I am doing this every morning before going to the gym. My wife is even following this workout.

Horton thanks for this post and thank you Dr. Goodman.

• Baller
Horton
This post was recognized by Horton!

"Great Post"

Obrienslalom was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 10 points.

My problem is my upper back. These are my current go-tos:

Curious if anybody has other tips, I certainly get desperate through the summer!

• Like 1