Need some help (video included)

• Baller

New skier at 15 off. 220lbs riding a 2024 69" Radar Senate Pro

I can run 26.7mph consistently, 28.6mph more than half the time(when conditions are good), and stabbing at 30.5mph here and there.  I am struggling coming around and out of 1 ball in a good position and it's a battle from then on.

I can obviously tell: Hips fall back, back leg bent more than front, shoulders falling forward, etc.  Problem is when I only focus on these things and try to fix them... I end up on the tail 100% of the time and it leads to me eating it every time.

What should I be trying to focus on when initiating the turn?  Thinking about keeping hips up and tall isn't working for me so far, and I hate to just keep 'hacking away'.

• Baller

You look pretty solid on that pass, and crossing the wakes with good body position.  The boat just "had" you a bit early leaving the bouys which eventually caught up with you.   Start wider on that gate to get more speed/angle behind the boat.  This will give you more release from the boat as you approach the bouys, which will give you greater angle leaving the bouys, and more time for the next one.  Controlled speed is your friend.

• Like 1

• Baller

I agree with liquid d.  I suggest listening to Spraymakers Season 4, Episode 12, Gates, then rewatching your video, then repeat listening to episode 12, like 30 times, until what they are saying really sinks in.  Bottom line, you need to get higher on the boat in the glide and then turn in with more speed in better position before the boat grabs you to set up the rest of the pass.  

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/spraymakers/episodes/Gates-e25suv8

• Baller

Your are looking in the wrong place. The problem (certainly for the moment) isn’t in the turns.

Your best position is out of 2 ball which shows arms straight and good alignment at the white wash. This is huge as it shows your body is happy aligning correctly. Unfortunately in that, and all other cuts, you give up your alignment as you cross the wake, causing you to head as right for the bouy with too much speed (and your question about how to turn - effectively when out of control, which shouldn’t be your plan).

If you can get the alignment consistent at the white wash and hold it to the other white wash, you will make and carry speed such that the turns will be more like 6 easy starts rather than actual turns.

• Baller_

best advice i can give, is despite what everyone says, take one thing, and focus on just that to start, then pick another if you are trying to do 3-4 things different you will not fix it. 

I would def start with a wider gate however to work on being early to 1 ball, then continue to try to be as early to each buoy as you can. Once you get the gate down, move to the next item to fix..ect..ect

• Like 2

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller

Appreciate the tips and I did listen to the Spraymaker episode. It opened my eyes to how wide I need to get. I'm pretty sure when I pull out, I line up with the left side buoys and obviously get sucked back in before committing to the lean in. 

Here's to hoping that helps the body position!

• Like 1