Carbon

DaveD

• Baller

John,

I found 2 rolls of woven carbon while cleaning out a lab at work.  There are no markings on the roll so I have no clue what it is other than it's carbon fiber.  Can this be used for anything?  Dave

• Administrators

You can use it like any other composite reinforcement. I built binding stiffeners from some surplus Carbon this spring.  

• Baller

If you ever need any, let me know.  I have over 25 yards of the stuff. 

Hey Eric, need any for your next ski? 

• Baller
how about you make a hollow cored ski out of it that weighs 300g and sell it for 5k/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-tongue-out.gif

• Baller
A couple guys at work are telling me all the different ways to make skis but there's more to making a good ski than knowing how to manufacture it.  Even if you build a mold off your favoite ski, how many iterations does it take to get the flex pattern right?  It's a good suggestion, but I'll leave the ski building to someone with more free time and experience. 

• Administrators

Change lay-up, resin, resin content, mold time, mold temp, humidity, core density, or any number of other things and you will change rocker and flex. If you keep all those things the same and add Carbon to the of the ski you will increase rocker and decrease flex. It is a never ending puzzle.

• Baller

There are lots of variables in building skis. It's actually a lot of work to make an exact clone of a ski. Then getting it to ski the same is another challenge! With free graphite, you still might not save any money and who knows if you'll be able to ride it. You'll have to do things to the ski with a grinder that are appalling. And who knows what the final product will look like (wallboard texture).

Dave, there are lots of ways to incorporate whatever cloth you have into a strong light layup. While I have enough cloth for a few more skis I would eventually be able use your material. If you need to get rid of it I'd love to take it off your hands...

Dave, If you are ever in San Diego, bring your graphite and we'll make some skis! Whether or not we make a ski you like, we'll have some engineering nerd style fun!

Eric

eleeski at aol dot com

• Administrators

Dave 

Giving Carbon to Eric is like giving crack to a 4th grader. It is funny but it will not get you free tickets to a Britney Spears concert.

Ok, Even I do not know what that means. So seriously how did you get 25 yards of carbon?

• Baller

John,

I work for a large automotive supplier that has seen some serious reorganization lately.  We were told to clean out a few labs and came across this carbon and a couple rolls of Kevlar.  I haven't been able to locate the person that was using the stuff so I have no way of determining product details or how old it is (remember the basic rule for storing materials: label everything clearly with a rec'd date).  Instead of throwing it out, I'd rather give it to someone that will put it to good use.  And maybe that person will spot me a few of those Britney Spears tickets too. 

Eric,

This stuff will decompose before I get back to San Diego again.  I'll find out what shipping cost will be.  Any of your buddies out there make surf boards?  Maybe they could use that Kevlar to make a shark proof surf board:)

• Baller

Funny how things happen. I am sending Dave Curmi a couple yards of graphite cloth to experiment with. It would be way cool to end up with yours to replace that.

I have a UPS and Fedex account. I'll make sure John has some to play with. What kind of beer / wine/ scotch do you drink?  I'd be happy to buy it from you.

Eric Lee

eleeski at aol dot com

760 774 4677

• Baller

OK, I've got a taker for the carbon, now I've got to find someone to take the Kevlar.  Anyone out there want to make their own bullet proof vest? 

Has anyone ever tried making other "ski or boat" things out of carbon?  I was thinking carbon tracking fins, rudder, swim deck, or maybe even a carbon prop would be very cool!!!  As I have NO skills or expertiese in these areas I thought I would toss it out there to the Horton's or Lee's of the world and see what you guys think.  Is any of this stuff possible? I think weight reduction should have a positive effect on boat performance.  I would love to hear what you guys think.

KG

• Administrators

Smim step would be easy but a waste of carbon

Any contel surface is a bad idea without a lot of R&D

What bindings do you use?

Call me

66one three78 14zero2

• Administrators

Swim step would be easy but a waste of carbon

Any contel surface is a bad idea without a lot of R&D

• Baller

I'm thinking Kevlar ski pants.  Sure would help prevent those high speed water enemas.  (right Glen?)