Best Ski for 30-34 mph

stone88

I'm sure people get bored of these types of questions so sorry in advance but I have no pro shop or decent coaching anywhere near me.

Me:

6ft

168 pounds

26 years old

Currently skiing 2007 HO Triumph 67"

Consistantly skiing 30mph back to back and running 32mph less consistantly. Best pass 3 @ 34mph but only been at that speed once.

I've been looking at Radar Senate, D3 Custom X, O'Brain Sixam 2.0, O'Brian Elite.

Now I've been told the Elite is an amazing ski even for someone at my level as its got a wide tail but I find that hard to believe as I'm guessing its desgned for shortline tournament skiers. I know it's crazy money but if its a ski I could get on now and stay on into 13m then I could deal with it. If it's too much ski for me now then I dont want it.

I've also heard the D3 and the Sixam are fast but quite forgiving skis. I was fairly set on the Senate but now I've heard mixed reviews

I will try to demo before I buy but the decent pro shops in the UK are dotted all over the place and each stock different skis so I cant demo all of them.

What would you guys recommend out of those 4 or are there any others I should look at.

Cheers

It's hard to say, so do your best to try out some skis.

Go ahead and try the biggest baddest ski you can find and then turn right around and get on a Senate C, Custom X, or Sixam 2.0. For every person that would get worked over by a Monza as a -15' 30-32mph skier, I've known at least one that would ski better on a Monza than they could on a Triumph. It's pretty difficult to gauge what your technique is suitable for, and you won't really know until you try. The only definite thing I could say is that it is far more likely that you will get along well with a Senate than with an Elite.

That would be awesome but I'm in the UK. They do the same sorts of thing at most of the main lakes here but they wont post them out I have to stay there for the weekend. I was at one last weekend but I wanted to take advantage of the coaching instead of messing on with my ski.

• Administrators

Hey Stoney,

You said "I'm sure people get bored of these types of questions so sorry in advance but I have no pro shop or decent coaching anywhere near me."

No. That what we are here for. This forum is here for everyone. Use it.

S.I.G.R. - Horton

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

I rule this forum with an iron fist and do not allow abuse of n00bs. I only allow abuse to be directed at  MS, Eric Lee or SkiDawg. I guess I would allow Brent to take some guff..... Maybe I need a list. For now and for a while you are not on the abuse list.

The Benevolent Supreme Inter-Galactic Ruler

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
For what it's worth I skied the Triumph very successfully into -22 every now and then, also was my INT Wide Ride ski. Switched to a 69 Sixam 2.0 and almost overnight started getting into -28. I skied last year in the 34 mph 28-32 0ff INT class, 36 mph -15-22 AND into well into 32 off in wide ride, all on the same ski. I've ridden a bunch of others and somne are better at 34 shortline, none better at wide ride speeds. I jumped on a 67 2.0 last fall and it keeps getting better. I'm 5-10, 190 Mens V skier. BTW Horton I put the wing back on for INT USC last fall, didn't see much differance. See you at Villa Lagos. That is all, for now.

• Baller
SS was tweaked/improved a bit from the 2 Point but still very similar in feel. Rumor is it's a little more user friendly at 34. My money is still on Obriens, particularly the SS and 2 Point. They ski wicked good lines, with large sweet spots. They key is the foam core which is considerably differnt from the other mfgs, also more expensive. The foam holds a higher density of resin which results in a very light, super strong ski. Flex from ski to ski is very consistant. Give it rip for sure.

From what I've read some people have found the SS harder than the 2.0. I've found a 2.0 its just whether they'll let me borrow it now. Even if not I doubt I will go too far wrong with the D3, would be nice to get them both for 2 weeks tho

• Baller

Stone, I think you'll find the D3 CX to feel rock solid and very stable. That's something you'll find with all of Denny's products. It's not the fastest, but it does everything well.  As far as the SS or 2.0, I find that they both feel very similar.  The SS has a snappier edge change to me.  And the Senate C feels a lot like the SS to me behind the boat, doesn't edge change as quickly, but REALLY carves a nice line to the backside of the buoy.

But if what you can get easily is the D3, you won't go wrong.

Have all the 2.0's been the same size - like 67.0 (170cm) instead of 67.5 as listed on Obrien website (2008 products)?

I thought the 2.0 I'm trying was 67.5 and set it up exactly as my 2006 1.0, but then figured out it was .5" shorter...   any comments good/bad on same settings w/ .5" shorter ski?

Thx - I'm thinking of trying binding move to rear on 2.0... not sure though. It is slower right now than the way my 1.0 was skiing,  but I am also tending to get back on tail on 2.0. Does it make sense that I am riding back on ski because bindings are too far forward? Bindings to rear would also speed it up right?

Well I've had 7 sets on the D3 CX and absolutely love it. Cuts much faster through the wake and much easier to hold an edge than the Triumph. Initially I had the bindings at 29.5 and the ski felt twitchy and I was right on the back of the ski. Moved it to 30 and it's so easy and smooth. Looked on the D3 website and recommended setting is 30, probably should have checked that before I got on it!

Thanks for all the advise guys, well happy and sticking with it.