drysuits

block

• Baller

It's a matter of personal preferrence.  I prefer the baggie so I can layer under it dependent on the temperature.  Some have issues with the seals in a baggie being too tight; I've heard plenty of bitching about the other type being only "semi-dry" because the seals aren't as tight.  Don't know personally, just saying.  The seals on the baggie don't bother me personally and I like the flexibility of layering.  I have an Ocean Tec baggie I've had for several years (same/similar to the Overton's cheapie baggie), never a seal problem with it and the price was right.

Ed 

• Baller

I have real good luck with a baggie.  I am on my 5th year with my current one.  I like a baggie because I can change the layers I wear under it depending on how cold it is outside.  I have found if you put spray legs over each calf once your suit is on, it keeps the legs from catching the spray when you turn and the leg seals will last a lot longer.  I also where a really thin life vest underneath and it works really well.  The cheapest suit I have found is from Adrenaline Watersports located in Bellevue, WA.  They have a website, www.waterskideals.com   It is also a very good suit for the money. 

I hate wearing a drysuit, but up here in Washington, it is a necessary evil if I want to ski all winter....       

• Baller_
The only time it's ok to wear a spray-leg is over a drysuit seal !  I actually wore 2 today.  If your water temp. gets into the 40's, then a baggy is the only way to go.  Semi-dry means semi-cold.  You get use to the feel of the seals at your wrists, ankles and neck.

• Baller

The best Drysuit I have seen is the Oneill Assault Hybrid.  Baggy on top, tight on the bottom.

Best quality.

Granted you will pay for it, as it is a better quality suit, but worth the money.  Plus Oneill is very good about repairing seals that are damaged or broken.  I think it is one year under warranty, but after that, they will still fix them for a small fee, and they are pretty quick about the turn around once you send them in.

Just my 2cents.

TS

www.h2oproshop.com

I'm with Tadd. I had an OS System baggy suit for years. Kept me perfectly dry, but skiing in it sucked. Actually drove me away from skiing in the winter. Got the Assault Hybrid last year and love it! I like the freedom of movement up top and streamline fit below. Now I don't mind skiing in the cold.... much....

Good to know about the O'Neil seals. Mine are still perfect, but I'll keep it in mind. Last time I replaced the seals in my baggy it was $150+.

dave

• Baller
I have a Ski Warm Sahara which has worked very well. I keep a bottle of contact cement handy for repairing seams(my suit is old). I wear my swim trunks under it. The key is to smooth out the wrinkles in the suit when you put it on, and when you get in the water open the neck to "burp" it. It will feel like you are vacuum sealed in it. Some skis you may need to put cinch straps on the ankles. I have a pair of cold water gloves that I use with it. I am able to ski from April through October in Pennsylvania. I was out yesterday. Air temp 49, water temp 58. I wear a regular nylon 4 buckle vest over it instead of my neo vest. It is lighter and more comfortable.

• Baller

I'm about to pull the trigger on an O'Neill Assault.

Just wanted to know if the bottom part is 100% is dry or a very thick neoprene?Can you still put a pair of thermal underwear underneat?

I'M 6'2" 195 and going for the x-large.Good sizing?

Thanks

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

Just got my O'Neill Assault drysuit and will try it today.

Anything i should know about before putting it for the first time?Seals,zipper?

Should i wear my vest inside?

Thanks!

(Water is already 55,so i feel ashame of putting a drysuit!)

• Baller

I wear my baggy dry suit until it's warm enough to be comfortable in a shorty.  I really don't mind skiing in it and I'd rather be warm and loose than stiff and cool and end up pulling a muscle or something.  Make fun of me all you want - I'm warm!

Andre - use some baby powder, talc etc on the inside of the seals before you put the suit on, makes it much easier to slide through the seals (you don't need it for the neck seal but for arm and leg seals it works real well).  Also powder them inside and out when storing, makes them last longer for some reason.  An occasional dose of bees wax on the water proof entry zipper makes it work better too, easier to zip and helps it seal.  I wear my vest inside.  

Ed

• Baller

Thanks guys!

There is only a neck seal on the O'Neill Assault,no wrist or legs seals,which i didn't know about,only the tightness of the neoprene will keep water out.I hope!

The tight neoprene bottom part just look like a regular wetsuit but thicker.Doesn't look like it's 100% dry...We'll see in the afternoon.Just got some gas and the battery is charging!!!l

• Baller

The Assault drysuit is 99.9% dry.Only a couples of drops got in by the wrist and ankles tight neoprene.

Very comfortable.Still asking myself why i didn't get one years ago...

On a side note,i'm TOTALLY out of shape and hurting a bit this morning but nothing Naproxen can't take care of!

I have one and really like it.  The bottom fits tightly and after bleeding out the air, the top snugs up but does not hinder your movement.  I previously used a full wetsuit and didn't like it - too heavy and restrictive.

I do put the velcro strap around the front leg because sometimes water shoots up the leg when making an abrupt turn. Helps to stay dry.