Shooting the ski

TeamWally

• Baller
Has anyone heard about "shooting the ski" ? I watched a NorCal skier (Jon Andrews) last week expand on WCS by radically initiating movement from ankles, knees and hips to get the ski moving cross course prior to getting the free hand back on the handle. Idea presented was that simply standing on the ski as it turned was not enough. I've played with it a little and found timing to be a challenge, but wow, when I can get it right three turns in a row the speed in unbeliveable. Thoughts ? BTW Horton the partners have retured to Washington for the season.

• Baller

I have been working on something similar which really shows up at 38. The key is using COM, "Center of Mass," to lead the ski into the turn, "Slide," and   COM forward at hookup, approximately 50 degrees, to keep the ski into a constant turn to and through the second wake. The farther forward you have the COM at hookup, the faster the ski kicks-out or shoots -out through the wakes.

I would like to hear more on how similar  Technique has worked for others.

GOODE SKIING,  ED

• Baller

NO.

"Step ahead counter-rotation" is screwy enough.

Though further elaboration on shooting the ski might be interesting.

Although there are times when the idea of breaking out the Remington 870 and unloading all 7 into my ski has been tempting, but suspect this is not aligned, technically or politically, with WCS.

• Baller

TW,

I always thought of you as more of a thinker. I would have thought you would have pursued the potential of the benefits of Center of Mass movement in the direction of travel.

The advantage of kinetic energy, Newton's theory of motion, and the advantage gained by increased edge angle, and resulting increased castout potential.

I guess my past as a Fighter Pilot, Test, and Airshow Pilot taught me to always push the envelope. I once received a Christmas card from a friend of mine Steve Fossett, who made several attempts to fly a Balloon around the world, and finally did it in just over 300 hours. Steve stated, and I will never forget this, "There is no such thing as failure, only varying degrees of success."

GOODE LUCK,  ED

• Baller

Center of mass is critical when casting your ski. But you are still limited by the kinetic energy you can impart to the ski. Often if I'm having that kind of ride, I won't have the skills to throw the ski accurately enough to get it to stick in the mud. If you just slam the ski into the mud it will certainly stick straight up and it is quite satisfying.

Shooting the ski is a bad idea as the bullet hole will still be there after the tantrum is over.

I've had really good luck taking a saw to the ski to really effect a change. A cold unyeilding hatred of the ski is needed before this happens.

Strange thread.

Eric

• Baller
Strange responses indeed, here I though I'd receive insightful responses from my comicbook heroes on the lastest technique innovations. The concept is to accelerate and move the ski toward the wake at the completion of the turn and then iniate edge change at the wake. After wathing Jon from the boat it was apparent this dramaticly increased cross course speed allowing the ski to gain width and apex just outside the bouy line with more control. Take a look at the 2 turns in Terry Winters new video fir a a more graphic representation. Guess I'll pack up the lake stuff and head for the mountains for some early season skinning as opposed to sking.