HO Talon Gloves

malibudude

I've been in search for HO Talon waterski gloves, which haven't been made in a few years.  Are there many that prefer these gloves?  I've contacted HO about them and if I read between the lines, they read this board, enough are interested it wouold get thier attention.  So let's hear it, are people interested in seeing this glove come back to life!  If anyone has a medium or large forsale let me know!

• Baller
There is a 3 or 4 of us from our local ski club that really like these gloves as well. We like them so much, last year we searched the internet until we found a dealer in Germany that had a some left, we are kicking ourselves for not but buying all his stock. We searched again at the end of this season and found some more. We would love if HO would bring this glove back to life. We do have a few extra pairs of XS,Smalls and I although this may be a mistake  I might be interested in parting  with a pair of mediums I have.

• Baller

what are the ones with a black and gray camo-like pattern and amara palms,they are by HO  too and are from about the same time? They had a buckle on the back of the hand instead of a velcro strap. Those are the ones I really liked.

LOS,

I'll definately let everyone know, but for you it'll cost a 6-pack. /vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-surprised.gif  In talking to corporate they suggested posting it here and getting everyone to respond is the best way to show HO they should start up production on these gloves again.  I've emailed our locale HO rep and asked all dealers to post up here and tell thier reps the demand is there.   

dsmart,

WSW doesn't have any.

LKB,

The talons did have strap on the back but the signature trait was the under wrist metal triangle and two straps that takes the stress off the forearms and slightly curved the fingers adding for a better grip and assisted in lessening the fatigue.

• Baller

I have got many calls asking about this glove too.

I am going to try to work with some mfg'ers and see, even if they do not have them to try to get some made.

I am going to find out, how long it will take?  What the minimum order is? And what the cost will be.

I will work on it.  It may take me a week or so with the holiday and I know that all the mfgers are busy right now and some will be closed the week between Xmas and NY's, so bear with me, I will work on it and hopefully have some info in a week or two to relay.

Good thread, way to get the interest going.  Keep it up, I will see what I can do.

Thanks

Tadd

tadd at h2osmosis dot com.

H2oproshop.com

LOS, you'll need to come up w/ something better than warmed up Rio Grande water..../vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-surprised.gif

Tadd,

Awesome, I've contacted HO directly and the local rep about it as well.  Hopefully the stitching is improved that the one weakness that we keep having to resew them.

Count me in for a couple of pairs size large if we can get someone to make them again. The first pair I owned were the best quality and fit but they are completely worn out now. The next two pairs must have been made by a different source as they were slightly different than the originals. They are all beyond the end of their life...but I'm still using them. I wonder who HO used for the manufacturing?

• Baller_

I second the comment on the stitching, I have a pair that came apart at the stitching.  The difference between that glove and the Straight Line (similar style glove) is the width of the straps (wider for the SL) and better (and more) stitching to keep from coming apart.

Bring it back with better stitching or just bring back the Connelly Claw IMO.  The newer versions of all these gloves seem to offer less than the earlier ones and thus wear out quicker.

I use the overtons Pro Champs. I just ordered up 8 pair this fall and the mediums I have been using for 4 years are now smaller.  

If anyone is interisted in some Med Pro Champs, I can cut you a great deal.

I need to go with the large from this point on.

• Baller_

Brent,

Thanks, they look pretty good.  I wonder how many glove makers really exist?  Scrolling though the different gloves makes you think they are all pretty much made by one big sw--t shop across the pond to the west.

• Supporting Member

I'm afraid I was a bit disappointed by these 4wake "Talons."  The palm material doesn't seem to be the same as the original Talon, and even after several sets on them, I didn't feel the grip was nearly as good.  The original HO Talons had a grip that I simply never had to think about.  These just aren't completely solid.  I also had some stitching come undone in one finger after just a few uses, but that could just be bad luck.

Bottom line: These ain't the HO Talons.  At least not yet.  I hope they'll get there, though -- still like those better than any glove I've tried since they stopped making them.

• Baller
I was at M2 in Houston last week and they had a big box of about 100 different assorted sets of gloves. Looked like they'd bought out another shop somewhere at some point. In it were 8-10 sets of small and medium Talon's, new in the package. 

• Baller
I agree with thanimal.  I was unhappy with the 4wakes.  The material is thinner and I got blisters while using them.  I also had stitching come undone on the thumb.  Found a pair of Talons in the 1/2 price bin at my local shop.  You'd have thought I struck gold I was so thrilled!

• Baller

I bought 4 pairs. The palm feel too thin, but when I compare them to other my existing home made Talons they're similar.  The problem is they rip up my hands up, quite the bummer.  They also sewed the metal lock triangle to close to the wrist and it's not as effective.  The guys at Carolina Water Sports are great and I hate to nock their product.  I appreciate that they are trying to reproduce the best gloves I have ever used.  I made a pair with a set of HO 41 tails for my buddy at the start of last year and his still look great and he loves them after trying dozens of other gloves.  I’ve made several other using the old HO Sequel gloves and they worked great.  I like it when the Kevlar / Amara is all the way to the tips of the fingers and thumb, they just work better and last longer.  I also like an extreme finger pre-curve, it really helps.  We use that combination with a 1.1â€(Custom Order) or 1.062†diameter Accurate ARS handle and have almost no hand problems skiing 6-7 days a week.  I'm going to make a few more pair Friday from a set of Radar BOA's and 41Tails we’ll see how they work.  I use a commercial sewing machine but you can do it by hand.  See pictures below. 

If anyone wants to buy my 4Wake gloves I have 3pairs of XL & 1 Pair of Smalls.  I have only used one pair 4 times and would take $40 each +actual shipping cost.

Just wanted to weigh in on the re-make Talons. My humble opinion is that they are as close  to the originals as a Yugo is to a Ferrari. These gloves HURT my hands, even though my hands are tough as nails (from skiing about 15 sets/wk. on avg.) My not-so-scientific report on them is: After 20 sets, thumb stitching went bye-bye. At 35-40 sets, Right index finger stitching gone. At 50 sets, gloves now so stretched they cannot be tightened sufficiently to remove palm bunching. But there's good news; by 80 sets you'll have callous ridges so thick that if they tear, you'll simultaneosly peel ALL the skin from your uni-callous to the first joint in ALL your fingers. The extra material used inside the fingers was apparantly designed to allow additional stitching, to prevent the gloves from self-destructing like the originals did. Not only does this not work, but it makes the gloves VERY uncomfortable for the first 20 or so sets. After that, I'm not clear whether the gloves break in, or my hands just quit feeling in those areas. Perhaps if you buy and use some, you can clue me in on that point. As a side-bar; I let my buddy (another die-hard Talon fan) use my new gloves; he skiid 2 passes, motioned for me to drop him at the dock, briskly removed the gloves, and told me that I had seriously damaged my reputation by recommending these to him. I guess he's not as in to self-flagellation as I am, but then again, I've been married for about 30 yrs..............

• Baller

I'm going to breathe some life into this topic. My last pair of HO Talon gloves has finally disintegrated. I'm frustrated. I have searched the web for hours these last few days and can only find size small HO Talon gloves out there (I need medium) I bought a pair of Masterline curves to try and and they sucked!

For those of you who use to like these glove have you found a suitable replacement? I've read on this forum about other clincher gloves that worked well but seem to have already been discontinued.

Has anyone ever taken their old HO Talon gloves to an upholstery shop to try to duplicate? I'm thinking about buying a new pair of plain Kevlar Palm gloves and having an upholstery guy take the clincher system off my old Talons and putting it on the new gloves.

Any thoughts?

Help please.