Strada Versus Elite

jipster43

• Baller

A few of you folks out there have been fortunate enough to have skied both of these buggers.  Can anyone tell me how they compare the two?  Are they similar and in what ways?  How are they different?  Which one did you prefer?

I know you PNW (Washington) fellers have been on both.   I'm really interested in what you have to say.

Thanks!

JP :)

• Baller_
I skied an Elite in February 08, but it was really cold and my hands only made it 4 passes. At the time I did a review, but I can't remember what the discussion topic was. I've been on my Strada since October, and haven't looked back! I have no plans to try any other skis, except for setting up a spare 66" Strada for "just in case" reasons.

• Baller

I rode an Elite last summer and liked it. I also have a Strada on the rack that I plan to get wet for the first time tomorrow. Now the last time I skied was the first weekend in October, so "ease of deepwater start" my be my only input for a while. I will let you know what I think after I get some time on it.

sj

(MS. Before you even say it. We are aware of your Elite = Surgery impression)

• Baller

I am aware of what a "Tommy John" is. (I think you just like the sound of itWink) Assuming they used your palmaris longus for the graft? Hope you have a good PT!

In all seriousness, I had a few instances of "tip bite" on the Elite that tweaked my always aching back. The Connelly and especially the A1 were much more stressful to ride than the Elite given the way they loaded. The easiest ski in regard to back issues I rode last year was the Z7. (I try too much stuff) 

On the recommendation of few people I got a 66". I am a bit borderline, but with me skiing 36 a lot I think the 67" would be too big. I am very much looking forward to trying it out.

• Baller

Thanks fellas!  I'm looking forward to hearing more comparisons.  They both seem like incredible skis, but from what I can gather the Elite can be a little more finicky in terms of binding and fin setup.

• Baller

If I'm skiing 22 @ 34mph and weigh 135lbs, is the 65.5 elite going to be too long?  I know it comes down to personal style and preference, but I keep seeing folks going a buck-seventy-five skiing on the 65 elite and it makes me a little nervous.

RD,

I like the fact that the 66 was the basic design and they made the rest of the sizes based on the 66. I may go with the 66. I would love to try the 66 and 67 on the same day. At 5'10 170, I am in the middle but I have been going with 67s since my 9500 days.  

Scot,

You can never try to much stuff.  

• Baller

I would say the 67 rocks too! Larkin looked pretty good on the 67 last weekend. MIne feels great. Seems faster than the Elite and turns my heel side much better.

Scott, you switching boots too or waiting on that one?

• Baller

I did the whole thing. Dbl size 11's. Figured since I hadn't skied since early October I wouldn't notice much difference. Free skied a couple of sets in the wind this weekend and they felt fine. I did notice my back heel coming up a bit on occasion which I haven't felt in years. I was concerned they might feel super soft and sloppy compared to the dbl Reflex set up. Again, I was off for 4 1/2 months but they felt fine. I can't wait to get in some sort of shape and have some good water to try this set up out for real.

• Baller

scott, mad 11, how much do you guys weigh??  I can not make up my mind to go with a 66 or 67        6' 2" 185lbs  on a 67 MPD now.

skied the 66 proto in the fall cold water and the ski was great,felt a little small but binding were at 28 3/8 front foot,  (way back) I see now they are saying two holes forward from that 28 3/4 or something like that.

I cant wait to ski the final ski with all the #s figured out .

ski lifts close soon , when it melts we will ski it agian!!

Deano

• Baller

Deano,

6'1" and 175# here. Not sure about Marc. I don't have any real time on the ski yet so I can't be of much help. My inclination is that the 66" is going to be a really good size for me. I would think that at an inch taller and 10# heavier you are pretty borderline at 34mph. When in doubt call Eddie. Will hopefully have some more useful feedback in the future. 

• Baller

Deano,

I'm 5'11" 200lbs and on a 67. A little more husky than Jones. Skis plenty big for me.  You will be borderline depending how short you go.

Jones,

Had a crazy ZO deal last week. Couldn't run anything all of a sudden and actually jumped back on the Elite one set to see if my ski had an issue. Was way more work than the Strada and wouldn't turn my heel side anywhere near as well. Case closed.  Found out later that ZO lost it's coordinates and we are all so lazy now we don't even look for times or pay attention to it anymore. Fixed ZO and back to normal. Back on my Strada  and smiling again. 

Marc

• Baller
That's interesting. ZO only has coordinate so it can give you times. Without them, it works exactly the same as with them. The feel, etc, is the same. Chet Raley doesn't even program his for his ski school.

• Baller

Roger,

Not sure what it was, but resetting the coordinates for our slalom lake fixed the problem. We have two lakes side by side. The boat felt great on our jump/slalom lake. Two different skiers couldn't hardly even run openers on the other one. Reset the coordinates and back to normal. Must be some kind of glitch. Whatever happened it sure doesn't help your early season confidence.

• Baller

Thanks for the mounting info Richard. Got your whisper from the other thread. Helps. The question I asked Richard was mounting distance for a Strada boot as I just ordered a 67.  Duh, found plenty of info on page 8 of the other thread. Man thats a long thread :) Looks like Mad is running his boot forward a bit. I'll start at 29.5 for the colder water here. 

• Baller

jipster43,

I have never skied a Elite because I knew no matter how much I liked it, I never could afford it.  I was on a Senate C the last few years and just switched to a Strada.  I rode the Strada two sets and was on the phone to Eddy on my way home from the lake getting an address to send my check to.  It was that good.  My problem is I cannot compare it to any of the other high end skis that are out there.

Probley my bigggest problem is my water time is limited so I really don't have time to spend a lot of time trying skis.  I have so much else to work on I just try to find a ski that is forgiving enough so when I am all out of wack it does not buck me off and when I am doing things right, it rocks.  That is why until the Senate C I was always on a Kidder/D3.  I also am not much of a binding adusting/fin guy.  I try to get them to where it feels good and then just ski.

OF   

• Baller
I had the opportunity to compare an RS-1 to the Strada yesterday. Boy! there isn't much that hasn't changed on the new ski! The finish looks awesome! I just wish it was a 68" so my fat a$$ could ride it! ha ha

• Baller

The main thing that I noticed with the RS and Strada side by side was the width difference. We put a tape to the two skis, at 1' back from the tip, the Strada looked to be 1/4" wider. Just in front of the fin box it measured an 1/8" wider. So the surface area has increased substantially. The bevels have changed too! The Strada is 5 stage now. Here's a shot of the two together. Should've had the two skis together to get a better comparison.