Is spray leg a result of cold water or an indicator of bad form?

ScarletArrow

• Baller
Been doing some early season skiing here in Ohio. Water temp is now about 60*F w/ the recent warm spell so I went from a long wetsuit to a shorty. Now that my calf is exposed I'm getting massive spray leg on my right (rear) calf muscle (ouch!). Is this just a cold water thing or an indicator that something is wrong with my form? I don't normally wear my shorty and don't normally have this problem in the summer. If this is a bad form issue - advice is welcome!

Each spring when I go from dry suit to shorty, I get the rear leg spray burn, lasts for about a week and then the muscle(s) adjust/adapt and it is no longer an issue. Sorry I can't rule out bad form for you because I know my form is laughable but I really think it is more as Shane states and until your muscle adjusts, it hurts.

my guess is that the cold water is not symptomatic of spray leg, but simply that your leg is not conditioned as Shane suggest.

I get it so bad that my leg actually bleeds.  I therefore have become a wuss and wear a spray guard.  My buddy bill has skinny calves and so the guard wont' stay down.  He also bleeds.  So, he shaves his leg and wraps his calf with duct tape.

• Baller

RD, what do you mean tease (men)????  We tease everyone, we just take it a little easier on the woman. 

As far as cold vs. warm water, I have gone from really warm soft water to cold dense water in a 24 hour period.  The cold dense water did sting a little more, but I just figured it was because warm water is soft and so does not hurt like cold.  I also notice that wakes behind the same boat are harder in cold water than in warm.  I never put too much thought into it, it just seemed to makes sense.

All I know is I have to gut it out the first few weeks after coming out of my dry suit.  That is why once I stop wearing, I don't go back until winter.  I have seen others have their calf bleed from the spray and never have been able to figure out why it is so bad for some and just a small annoyance for others.  I just figured it was because of binding placement and ski width......Of

• Baller
I have RS-1 bindings and had spray leg pain on and off this Winter due to limited skiing. I've always had spray leg pain for a few sets after a long layoff (3 or more weeks) with rubber and hard shells.

After starting to ski with Doane and OF, to shut them up I quit wearing a spray leg. The very first time out without a long suit, always hurts the worst, initially I have skin razored off. It sometimes takes a while to heal, because everytime I ski again the scabs get scrapped off again, and again. The best thing though in the summer, I never have to shave the hair off my left leg. My advise is to never wear a spray leg around Doane and OF, you will never hear the end of it. Believe me this pain is way tolerable then all the pain in the butt remarks, you will hear from them for years after. /vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-sealed.gif

• Baller

I had thought I would start skiing when it warmed up, maybe even wait til I can ski in a shorty but I had all but forgotten about spray leg.  I might have to take a few sets of power washing my calf before I actually get on a ski.

Man this has been a tough winter.

• Baller
I'm wishing for some global warming! The water in So Cal is only 60, normally near 70 by now. Cold and cloudy and rain in the forcast. I don't do drysuits anymore. The weather has been so crappy here I actually "tried" to ski in a 30 rpm adjust headwind/tailwind yesterday. It didn't go real well!