What's up with Eagle vest sizing?

Than_Bogan

• Supporting Member

I have an actual chest measurement of about 39" (right after doing some pushups...), and my Eagle XL is moderately tight.  I normally would expect to be a Medium in a vest, since my shoulders and arms aren't a factor.  So it seems that Eagles run smaaallll.

I'm not quite sure how to get to my actual question delicately, but here goes:  I'm looking to buy a new vest for my wife.  She doesn't really need a lot of extra flotation ;), so I was thinking something thin and flexible like the Eagle might work great for her.  But if my sub-manly chest merits an XL, I would doubt that any Eagle vest could fit her.

Anyone have any recommendations?

• Administrators

Eagle has been an advertiser here at BOS for like 3 hrs and NOW you start this thread… Funny. 

I would call Tadd or call the factory and ask for Chuck.

• Baller

Animal...

sounds strange.  I have a 43 chest/34 waist...my XL Eagle (Bird of Prey) fits great. If anything, it may have stretched a bit since I got it.  I think you might be somewhere nearby (I'm in N.H.).  Be glad to let you try mine as comparison if so.

I've found Eagle's customer service to be very  helpful and prompt to reply.  Don't hesitate to call or email them for sizing advice.    

theanimal:

This is Chuck Gleason, owner of Eagle Sports. In regards to the sizing of your Eagle vest, fit is a personal preference but I can tell you I designed the vests to fit like a 2nd layer of skin unlike others on the market that typically fit loose. I have a 42 in chest and I wear an XL but I can also fit into a large if I want a tighter fit. At 39 inches I would expect you to wear a large unless your waist is bigger than usual. For instance, Chris Parrish who is taller than I am and has the same chest measurement prefers a large since he likes it tight like most of the top end skiers.

Due to the fact that our vests are purposely designed to fit tight, we find that people who would normally wear a large would go up a size in Eagle. for best results I recommend contacting one of our approved reatilers like H20 Osmosis, SilverSpray Sports, Miami Ski Nautique, Bennett's, Wiley's, Jim Feltchall  in Oklahoma or Sunset Ranch. Those dealers are most experienced with our sizing or lookup one of our factory promo skiers such as Chad Scott, Chris Parrish, Seth Stisher, Marc Austin. Tim Wheelus or Chet Raley.

• Supporting Member

Interesting, I wonder if I just got two that were mislabeled?  I initially ordered the Large, and I literally could not put it on.  Then I swapped it for an XL (which was no problem -- thank you H2Osmosis), and even that requires a bit of effort to get zipped.

My waste is fairly neglible as well, at just over 32".  I am 6'2", so I often wear XL in things like T-shirts, but definitely not in vests.

Btw, I should note that my Eagle vest is completely awesome and I highly recommend the product.  I have never previously used a non-CG lifevest because I found them stiff and offering very poor back support.  The Eagle overcomes both of these problems and yet while I'm skiing it feels like I'm not wearing a vest at all.

My only concern is that they appear to be so small that I was wondering how a larger chested person could even get into an XXL (which appears to be the largest size).

(TomD -- Good call!  She's a bit shy, though.)

• Baller

Eagle1, I understand you guys were slammed with order requests.  I am on the new order list for Coble Ski school that was place a couple of weeks ago.  I am patiently (and anxiously) waiting for mine to come in.  Would it be inappropriate to ask what the status of your current orders are? 

FWIW...I have a 46-48 chest measurement and I was able to put on my ski buddies XL.  It was snug; which is the way I like it, and definitely felt like I wasn't wearing much of anything at all.  Those vests are awesome!

stone88

Please call the Eagle factory and ask for Larry about the dealer we have in Europe, 1-800-862-4424.

theanimal:

Regarding your shy wife, we take pride in custom fitting ladies with similar special needs. I make sure to oversee those personally, that is one of the few fun things in my job that I refuse to give up. You can send in measurements only or measurements and pictures and we will be happy to make a vest to fit.

• Baller
I can't wait to get an Eagle vest/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-smile.gif Problem is...I don't want Pink, Purple or Teal....so I have to special order one to get Blue $$$$$$ and MS is having a cow/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-undecided.gif  >>>>thanimal....ummmm....I don't need much floatation either/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-embarassed.gif The medium works but is a bit tight. I (hopefully) will order a large though because I ski in South Canada (MN) and with a wet top on the zipper won't make the last 3 inches/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-wink.gif    

• Baller

Just bought a front zip at regionals. 6'1", 175, 39" chest and 33" waist. I thought the large fit a bit tight, but when wet and skiing it is perfect. I tried a friends XL in the past. It felt good when dry, but rode up when skiing.

Ski Dawg:  33" waist??? Only is verry loose jeans I am sure!

• Baller
One funny story relating to the initial question posed on this tread about vests fitting women. A few years ago we were skiing in the spring when a guy and his wife (both skiers) showed up for their first rides of the season. I had not seen this couple in a good while and thought the wife looked "different". My suspicions were confirmed when the zipper on her O'neil Outlaw wouldn't go more than half way up. "Honey, can I borrow your vest". An unforeseen cost (the new vest) I am sure. 

• Baller
I am a bit of a fat guy at 230lbs with a 46" chest and a 39-40" waist and when I have tried on the eagles I was concerned about fit so I went with an XL HO vest. I ran into one of the guys we ski with who has a XXL Eagle that I tried on and it did fit. It has me thinking about trying one.

• Administrators
I skied in a Eagle vest for the first time ever last night. Getting the zipper up reminded me that I am not as thin as I once was. Beyond that it is great. Fits well and for a light vest it floats me more than I expected. Very happy.

My Eagle (Bird of Prey) finally arrived last week . Great vest fits like a glove, no need for a rash guard anymore. I also was concerned about ordering a large when I normally wear a medium. I have to suck my gut in to get the zipper started, once zipped up it’s a very comfortable.

Thanks Tadd for the help ordering

• Supporting Member

Special thanks to Mrs MS for your thoughts.  Always good to hear information directly from someone with some relevant experience.

In the end it has turned out that my wife isn't sure she's going to ski enough to justify the expense of a new vest.  At least not this year.

But it looks like this thread has turned into a pretty good advertisement for Eagle vests, and that's definitely a good thing.  By far the best vest I've owned.  Incredibly comfortable, ultra-light, adequate flotation [even though I am pretty dense, in more ways than one], AND surprisingly good back support.

I suppose if I could wave a magic wand and change one thing, I'd make it dry faster.  But I whole-heartedly recommend the vest to anyone.