2010 Recommendations for Intermediate, New Slalom Skiers

ToddL

• Baller

I teach a lot of people (teens and adults) how to slalom ski.   A question that often stumps me is, "What ski do you think I should buy?"

The typical skier is one who aspires to eventually run the course, but has yet to get around a buoy.   This skier is able to cross the wakes in one lean motion, but the body position is still developing as is the skier's confidence.   The skier is truly a beginner in terms of course skiing, but could be considered intermediate in terms of free skiing.

Often these skiers are not going to drop down $300+ on a new intermediate ski.   So, I am often wanting to recommend a used ski.

What do you guys think?   What makes/models of skis in that 1-3 year's old range would make excellent skis to begin to learn the course?

Also, if you have a recommendation for a new model maybe over $300 that really is worth mentioning because it is really all that for beginners, then that is cool, too.  Or, if you have a recommendation for an older model that still stands the test of time, share it, too.

Regards,
ToddL

• Supporting Member

One thing I wouldn't suggest is any older skis that are high carbon fiber but NOT made with RTM.  Over time these skis will break down.  For example, I would not buy a used Goode 9100, even though that ski was completely awesome for a huge range of ability levels when it was new.

For myself the Radar Senate is working well, although I can already run the course at 28 mph when I got it. I got to this point on an F1X but I don't feel that it is as good of a ski to learn on since you dont get nearly as much cross course speed.

For my wife a used D3 Custom is working well, she tried the Connelly SP and it didn't work at all, that ski probably can't be used to ski the course.

• Baller

I also "teach" several people to slalom.  Most of them are open water skiers but usually they have the dream of moving to a course.

Forget the ski right now.............what does everyone think are 3-4 (no more) basic skills/techniques that I can tell these guys?  

I'm working on my 35 off pass so some of the things that I'm working on don't apply to them. 

• Baller

lakeaustinskier - skills for itermediate skiers - this should be a new topic...

But since you asked...

1) Body Position, body position, body position, body position - that's 4, right?   Seriously, the proper stance while riding, edging, crossing the wake is key.  

2) Next is smooth, fluid, progressive actions.  No jerky movements.  Initiation of a lean motion across the wake should start from an excellent stance with an initial edge that is subtle and easy and the lean and edge should smoothly and fluidly increase in balance with the load from the boat. 

3) Edge change should not involve stance adjustments - stay stacked and balanced through the edge change.  

4) Carve the turns with the full ski via pressure under both feet (no rear-leg pushing).   Let the ski do the turn - the skier's job is the wake crossing.  

5) Finally, handle control should be  developed as early as possible.  

Yeah, that's about it...   But it all starts with body position, body position, body position. 

The older Radar Senates were probably the Best Bang for the Buck and the Senate "C" used to be about the Best Bang for the Buck in the whole Business. (Now I fear it's become just another higher priced Great ski..)

The Theory is a very Good beginner ski and the H.O. Triumph is always a great choice...

A beginner has No Business wasting a dime on an older High end ski. Those High end ski's, though old and "outdated" were designed for "High end skiers." NOT Beginners. They are skinny, fast, unstable and unforgiving... Not exactly the recipe for Building confidence on!

But, spending $$ is Basically a prerequisite for the sport of skiing!