jedgell

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Clemsondave:

Please give comments on wake (all line lengths if possible). If the wife (30 - 34 mph) won't like it, no way I will be able to get one.  And if anyone tricks behind it would like to know how the wake is for that.  Pictures would be nice too.

Thanks,

Kevin

• Baller

Just an FYI to those wondering about the MC PS hulls:  91-94 many consider the best incarnation; 95-97 (decent wake, lots of body roll); 98 new hull; 99-2000 essentially the 98 hull with those wings glued on the back sides; 2001+ EVO

We skied it yesterday. I was going to try -22, but we didn't have a rope longer than -28, sorry. I'll tell ya, I would have no complaints if I got this boat at a tournament. While they are not as good as a 200, I'd say they are just as good as a 196. Little bump at 28, but nothing to speak of any shorter. One of our guys is in M8 and skied 30mph. He had no complaints on the wake.

The spray was very good, similar to an LXi or MC. You will not have any trouble at any line length.

It did seem a little sensitive to weighting. Possibly a little bias towards the driver's side. However, it has a built in ballast on the passenger side that you could fill to adjust as needed.

I did like the concept of the no carpet. Didn't like the 'camo' design of the rubber we had, but I would assume there are other options. It would be a little hard on the knees if you had to kneel on it when working on the motor or something. You still will have to clean it, but I assume it would be easier than carpet. I'd stay carpet looks and feels better though. Just depends on your needs.

The 343 has plenty of power for this boat. We didn't do a WOT run, but I assume top speed is pretty high considering the weight.

I'll post pictures when I get them uploaded.

• Baller

From what you have written, it does not sound like any real advances have been made.  Wake/spray/power on par w/other existing offerings and a maybe on the rubber floor.   

Small market they are playing with...if I'm a promo guy I'd want an open bow for better chance of resale to a larger market in need of a quasi family ski boat.  If simply looking for a closed bow slalom machine, does it offer any advantages over picking up a '09 196?  I'm an old school Centurion fan, but having a hard time getting excited except it's something different see. 

I hesitate making any comments beyond what I did. Those were truthful. I would have no problem skiing it in a tournament. If I comment too much, it might come across as a Nautique promo guy bashing anything that isn't a nautique. I also do not want to discourage anyone from bringing something new to the market. I think competition is great. I also think they are on the right track, if they can keep it going. If you have specific questions, either email or 'whipser' it to me.

I did not drive it, but several did. I think they have some work to do. With some tweaks, I think it could be ok.

I think this would be a great $25-30k boat. Unfortunately, it is a long way from that. Personally, for almost the same money, I'd get a stripped 200, an LXi or MC.

You cant...but you also cant touch a Centurion for 30K. From what ive read promo guys are looking at around 40K. The blue boat on boat trader is at 48K, which gets you into a 197. This fall Action was running a deal for 2010 197's with MCX and ZO for 48K.

I think Dave meant that at 25-30K it would be a great deal, but not so much at the current price

I drove and skied behind the Centurion that was used at Diablo Shores last year for the legends division. The boat drove fine, we added some weight in the nose, As we do for several of the boats. I drove Jay Leach from 28 off thru 39 off, He had positive comments about the pull, the wakes and the way it skied. As for driving at shortline, I thought it was fine, I would have done a little grinding on the rudder and added a little torque but It drove fine. I think for them to be successful they will have to get these promo boats out for around $35000 to make an impact in the 3 event water-ski market. I think at $40,000, they will have a difficult time breaking guys away from the Big 3. With that being said the boat will be fine for use in three event tournaments. I would not hesitate to use it at a tournament I was the Chief Driver.  I welcome anyone else into the arena. I have mixed feelings about the rubber floor, but it sure would be nice to just hose out the boat after towing it in the rain or having it get drenched during an rain filled Louisiana afternoon. Just my 2 cents

I think the one we were using had some problems with the steering. Certainly could be fixed, but I wouldn't want one going out on 'trials' unless it was darn close to perfect.

Not having an adjustable rudder seems silly.

Yes, I meant that the Centurion is almost the same price as the big 3. I would be scared to become a promo, buy an expensive boat being such an unknown. I do hope they can pull it off though. The hull has some serious potential.

I can't think of any reason I'd get this over an '09 196. The 196 would be cheaper and built better.

• Baller
Centurion has always had a good wake on any of there boats. Going all the way back to the Trutrac ll and lll. Even the "S" rail trutrac. They have also had some interesting innovations such as the articulating fin which was attached to the steering cable and turned the front fin when you turned the boat. Can't remember how that went over but anyway the ski ability has never been an issue. Quality or quality control has been the issue in the past. To anybody who is interested in being a promo person for Centurion I would be cautious. $40K is alot of money to give to a boat company that has not been in the tournament scene for over 15 years. If the big 3 have trouble selling a well known boat just think of how hard it will be to sell a Carbon Pro for 40K or so and being only available in a closed bow.

• Baller

A big challenge I see, is that many of us who would be interested in purchasing such a boat, are also of the mindset that we don't buy first year run products.  When it's going to take a couple of seasons to convice your target market, who would be buying these boats in the meantime?  Now, if the factory would take the promo boat back at the end of the season, like a lease deal, that might work?  Get this boat out there, without shifting the risk to the promo guys.

• Baller

dave2ball said "Centurion has always had a good wake on any of there boats..."

Their last supposed-to-be-a-slalom boat, I don't recall what it was called (LaPoint something, or something LaPoint, it was an open bow), had a pretty shaky slalom wake.  This was early 2000's.  At that time we had a Centurion dealer in KC who was a local INT sponsor, brought the boat to the tournaments.  It drove OK (average) but the wake was large and hard at 15 - 22 off.  Everyone groaned if they drew that boat, and this was a bunch of INT skiers who for the most part weren't that refined in their taste in slalom wakes.  FWIW.

Ed

• Baller

I'm pro Centurion...I ski buoys at "the swamp", but the boat on my public lake home is a cherry '91 Centurion...a huge source of pride.

The speckled rubber substance on the Carbon Pro looks cheap, the dash looks like a Moomba, the backboard unnecessary, and the cross-hair site line driving thing is cheesy.  GRR, I was hoping for better.        

• Baller

I am with the group here. After looking at the pictures the boat looks cheap. The gunsight is cheesy. It looks like something you would find at Walmart in the new boat isle.

From the looks if it they spent all the money on carbon and went cheap on everything else to balance out the price. The boat is not worth 35- 40K they are asking for promo prices. Rumor I heard is that the first promo boat will be at 35K and then 40K there for after. It would be a shame if they do not make it after putting money into the Nationals to be a major sponsor.

• Administrators
Don't forget that every factory is always looking at something better. Every ski company is and every boat company is working on stuff that could be 2011 or 2012 or not.