It is time for your yearly Who Are You Guys thread:

Horton

• Baller
I'm John and I live in Coos Bay, Oregon. I grew up slalom skiing but after college I didn't get many opportunities to ski. For about 15 years I skied one week a year when we vacationed to my parent's place, which was on a lake. I would pull out my trusty Connelly Concept that I got in 1996 and ski as much as humanly possible for those 7 or 8 days of vacation each year. Last year we got a boat and I once again had the chance to ski on a regular basis. We also got my daughter up on 2 skis. A friend of mine introduced me to to a couple of guys who maintain a course on a nearby lake and I really re-discovered my love for slalom skiing. They are pretty phenomenal skiers, and they are always willing to impart their knowledge to me, and now I can't get enough of it. Skiing the course was quite the humbling experience as it exposed all of the flaws in my abilities that I never knew I had. Earlier this summer I got all 6 balls for the first time at -15 off. Now I'm working on -22 off. I turned 40 this year and words cannot express how rewarding it has been to have something to strive for. When I'm not skiing I often find myself thinking about how I can improve my technique for next time. And yes, I did get a new ski, a Connelly V. It's been a great ski as I hone my abilities and learn from my mistakes. I want to extend my thanks to all of you who always seem willing to impart your wisdom on this forum to those of us who still have much to learn.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’m Chad Hodgen from Indiana, and I’ve been skiing since I was 4 which makes this my 44th year of skiing I believe.

Having 3 daughters all active in sports hadn’t gotten the lake time in recent years that I’d like to have had. Also suffered an injury in 08 requiring surgery on my right hip. Really struggled slalom skiing without major pain for a few years afterwards and later found that I could barefoot without any issues with my hip. Really didn’t much other than footing from 2011 to this season.

Upgraded my boat this year and really caught the slalom bug. Ordered a new HO Syndicate Omni a few months ago and have really had great results. The ski rides higher in the water creating less drag and holds a different angle than my old Monza did. Result... Skiing with very little issue from the previous injury. Even started rounding some balls again last month. Not sure I’ll compete again, but man am I having fun!

One daughter now in college and another a high school senior I find myself doing far less driving for practices. Schedule is starting to free up enough that I plan to hit the water far more frequently in the years to come, like the old days! I will however be continuing to travel for some sporting events as my older two both continued their respective sports beyond high school. Advancements like ZO and PP make it possible for my wife or daughters to pull me if my ski buddies aren’t available too.

Anyway, that’s my story. Really enjoy this site, thanks @Horton

• Baller

Hey all UCFskier here. I skied with the UCF team back in the days when they had a strong showing (Rossi, Schaefer, Swanson, Meridith, Gayton, Kenny Atour, etc). moved back to Saskatchewan and now work in a Federal Prison.

when not staring through bars I am thinking of good ole emma lake SK. located in Saskatchewan Canada. 40 min north of the last city.... Prince Albert. I still train with some of my original ski buds from the younger days. we try to ski every weekend on Chiefs bay, getting as many runs in as the weather (seadoos) allow

Hi I’m Andrew Harris from Ashburton New Zealand.

I grew up skiing a bit at a local high country lake as a kid with my best mate and his step dad who was a nationally ranked 3event skier. since my parents didn’t have a boat and where not interested I never got to ski enough and got into other sports.

Fast forward 20 odd years and the same friend I skied with as a kid suggested we should get his step dads old boat out of the shed where it has been collecting dust for a while and have a ski! Next thing you know we are totally obsessed. I hunted around and found an old 96 ski Nautique I could afford, I bought countless old skis thinking they where good, messed with binding and fin settings we had no idea about and spent months trailering the boat 45 minutes each way to the only lake with a course nearby as many times a week as we could after work. We even put a ramp into my parents 300m x 300m irrigation pond so we could trick ski after work.

Then we joined the local club and met a group of awesome like minded people that where super keen get us involved, teach us a few tricks and suggest some better equipment! So Gone where the old skis replaced by a D3 quest45 and a D3 Aira tricker !

now 3 years later my wife and I are nearly 30 and have just made our dreams reality and have bought a house at the lake where we are to ski off the dock and hopefully my 2 sons will be able develop into better skiers than me.

I discovered Ball of Spray after our local Reflex dealer suggested I had look for some reviews. It is such an awesome resource of information and entertainment, thanks Horton

• Baller

I'm 2Valve

(I'm privileged to own a couple of antique 2-valve German motorcycles). I've been slalom skiing since I was 14, and now live on a private lake.

Our club of about 15 people pitched in a couple of years ago for a Wally Sinker course and we use it about five days/week. Incredible course btw. Worked my way up from 15 off to now kissing the insides at 32 off (34mph), thanks to some much needed coaching from Seth Stisher.

Best thing about living on a lake....the passionate people in our club. We not only ski together; we do ski schools, eat together, bicycle everywhere, get the telescopes out and talk like Carl Sagan... ("Good evening stargazers") and generally just hang out and drink a lot.

I'm most grateful for: Getting the all clear from my Oncologist and living life like every day could be the last.

I love this quote: “The longer that I live the more beautiful life becomes.”

― Frank Lloyd Wright

• Baller

Hi, I'm Brant Loewe (Lavy) from Nebraska. I grew up a weekend skier behind a 1978 Mark Twain and we spent a lot of time at Table Rock Lake each summer. I am a PE/ Weights Instructor at a local high school. The 3 best reasons to become a teacher are June, July, and August.

I currently own a 1988 Mastercraft 190 that I put in on Carter Lake Iowa with my 3 kids and wife. My oldest daughter finally slalomed this past summer and the 6 year old will be on 2 this summer. I primarily free ski on a private lake with a small group of buddies. I've been in the course a handful of times (not enough to complete a pass) and I love everything waterski I can read, listen, or watch.

I'm very interested in getting more people skiing and ready to make the jump from free skiing to course skiing and getting more access on public water for people to "test the waters" of skiing the course.

• Baller

I'm Greg Schorr, from western Washington. I grew up sailing and boating on Puget Sound, and when I was about 12 I learned to ski on two. Two years later, I finally was able to get up on one (yep, that transition sucked for me). My step dad immediately took me to a lesson on a private lake (Broho), and a few weeks later ('88) I entered my first tournament.

While my skiing was never great, my boating was ok, and I managed to get a Supra promo boat at 16. Skied in local/regional tournaments until 92 when I went to college where I completely destroyed my shoulder.

Slalom skiing life slowed down for many years, but then I got back into it. 4 years ago, I welcomed my son, and since then my skiing time has increased dramatically (who'd have thought?). My wife needs her time to work/ etc., my son loves to be in the boat, and my friends have been incredibly welcoming to having a toddler in the boat. So, instead of rushing to get a set in and get back to work, now skiing gives my partner her time and I can spend more time at the lake!

On a good year, I'll run some full passes at 12m/35'off at 55/34 and 1 or 2 at 11.25.

Still have my '91 Supra, updated with an '04 ZR6 engine and Perfect Pass with a z-box.

Thanks for making this forum available and so relevant!

• Baller

2021 Ski year just finished up this afternoon, so I figured that its time to dig this thread back up for the brand new year that starts tomorrow! I also figured that after 3 years of mostly lurking, that I'd introduce myself

I'm Joey, a younger skier from Akron, OH. I got up on skis for the first time the month before I got to college. Then I joined the ski team at the University of Cincinnati in the fall of 2017 and fell in love with the sport! I've since transferred to the University of Akron where I am skiing this fall!

I started a small collegiate waterski podcast (We Love College Waterski) to talk with my friends, meet new ones, and make an accessible record of the awesome sport that we all love!

Outside of the Collegiate section of skiing, I've become more active in Ohio's tournaments and have been running the Ohio Water Ski Association's social media, and joined a few committees to help promote the sport in my state!

Love being here to learn and occasionally put my $.02 into the few topics that I might know something about! Can't wait to see where waterskiing goes in the next ski-year!

• Administrators

I love that this thread goes back to 2010. There might have been another version of this thread somewhere IDK.

Sad to see some members who have moved on and some members who are no longer with us literally. 

Also if anyone really wants to edit their old post PM me and I will make that happen. Likely easier to just do a new one but whatever. 

• Baller_
Posted (edited)
On 1/19/2019 at 7:57 PM, Rednucleus said:

I am a 60 year old small animal veterinarian, married, 2 adult kids (both recently moved home to "reevaluate life"). Started skiing with my best friend in 1977; still ski with him every Wed at Bow Lake. Have added Hilltop lake in the last year and BOS as well! The older I get the better I ski - just hope my old body hangs in there for a few more years. You guys make me smile and look forward to another ski every day - keep it up!

Wow, 5 yrs goes by fast! Now 65, kids have moved out (HOORAY) got a new left hip Jan '23. Lost our lease at Bow but still love skiing at HT. I look forward to visiting BOS several times a day - you guys/gals are my ski family and I am privileged to be part of this very special group. Maybe someday you will teach me to ski!!

Edited by Rednucleus
  • Like 7