Horton

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller

Good story Dave2ball. I remember the best hand drivers were able to give a slow time, just in tolerance on your toughest passes...and might give you that extra 10 seconds to catch your wind before the big one. There were some seriously good drivers back then who did not have the advantage of speed control and had to adjust to big skier, small skier, male/female etc pass to pass.

I remember boat judging, stop watch in hand, hanging over the side of the boat to click it right on the entrance/exit gates and quickly looking up to see the skier. Good stuff.

• Baller

Good story Dave2ball. I remember the best hand drivers were able to give a slow time, just in tolerance on your toughest passes...and might give you that extra 10 seconds to catch your wind before the big one. There were some seriously good drivers back then who did not have the advantage of speed control and had to adjust to big skier, small skier, male/female etc pass to pass.

I remember boat judging, stop watch in hand, hanging over the side of the boat to click it right on the entrance/exit gates and quickly looking up to see the skier. Good stuff.

It's surprising to see how many pilots are on here. It most be something to do with the challenge of slalom that appeals to that personality.

My name is Ryan McGill. I started skiing as a toddler, as my parents were competing in Ski racing in North Queensland when I was born. I didn't start course skiing until I was 20, but have been hooked ever since.

I'm now 32 and live on the South coast of New South Wales, Australia. I'm a helicopter pilot in the Royal Australian Navy. The most frustrating part of my job is when you have an early morning flight, then fly over the river and just see glass. I'd pretty much always rather be hanging onto a ski rope.

It's surprising to see how many pilots are on here. It most be something to do with the challenge of slalom that appeals to that personality.

My name is Ryan McGill. I started skiing as a toddler, as my parents were competing in Ski racing in North Queensland when I was born. I didn't start course skiing until I was 20, but have been hooked ever since.

I'm now 32 and live on the South coast of New South Wales, Australia. I'm a helicopter pilot in the Royal Australian Navy. The most frustrating part of my job is when you have an early morning flight, then fly over the river and just see glass. I'd pretty much always rather be hanging onto a ski rope.

• Baller
I think pilots by nature of the job need a slice of OCD for the required attention to detail, and serious slalom skiers tend to fit that mold as well. I'm compulsive about my flying (GA), my job, and my skiing...oh hell I may as well just admit I'm compulsive about nearly everything!

• Baller
I think pilots by nature of the job need a slice of OCD for the required attention to detail, and serious slalom skiers tend to fit that mold as well. I'm compulsive about my flying (GA), my job, and my skiing...oh hell I may as well just admit I'm compulsive about nearly everything!

• Baller
I'm just a 48 year old guy who always believes he can get a little better than I am today. Skiing is the ultimate challenge for me because of the terrific blend of technique, strength and persistence it requires. It occupies WAY too much of my mindspace from ice out through ice in. Always learning, keep believing there is another loop in there somewhere still if I just keep after it.

• Baller
I'm just a 48 year old guy who always believes he can get a little better than I am today. Skiing is the ultimate challenge for me because of the terrific blend of technique, strength and persistence it requires. It occupies WAY too much of my mindspace from ice out through ice in. Always learning, keep believing there is another loop in there somewhere still if I just keep after it.

• Baller_

OB

"It just doesn't happen...there are too many things to screw up and that's what keeps it enjoyable and keeps me coming back for more,"

Aaahh? You are talking about skiing screw ups right? Not instilling alot confidence for flying commercial if your not. :-/

• Baller_

OB

"It just doesn't happen...there are too many things to screw up and that's what keeps it enjoyable and keeps me coming back for more,"

Aaahh? You are talking about skiing screw ups right? Not instilling alot confidence for flying commercial if your not. :-/

I agree with what you're saying OB, it's all about the personal drive to improve.

It takes a lot of drive to get through a military pilots course, and keep turning up to perform at that level everyday. It takes a similar level of drive to keep going out on the course day after day, making miniscule improvements to top a PB you may not have got close to in several years.

I often see that same drive here in Australia when I have an early morning ski... It's usually only a couple of us slalom skiiers that hit the river at 6:00am before the glass gets ruined. While wakeboarders are still tucked up in bed dreaming about their next hair style.

I agree with what you're saying OB, it's all about the personal drive to improve.

It takes a lot of drive to get through a military pilots course, and keep turning up to perform at that level everyday. It takes a similar level of drive to keep going out on the course day after day, making miniscule improvements to top a PB you may not have got close to in several years.

I often see that same drive here in Australia when I have an early morning ski... It's usually only a couple of us slalom skiiers that hit the river at 6:00am before the glass gets ruined. While wakeboarders are still tucked up in bed dreaming about their next hair style.

• Baller
i be chris springs. i be 46. my family and i ski at triple j in ferris texas. my wife hangs around the top 5 of so in the nat'l slalom rankings and our our 2 kids skied regionals for the first time this year. we love the outdoors. skiin', biikin', hunting, swimming and anything that makes you tired. i keep my scores around 4 or 5 at 38 in tourneys. i typically save my best skiing for practice. i've decided that 2012 i will lose some wieght and get my average into 39. thx

• Baller
i be chris springs. i be 46. my family and i ski at triple j in ferris texas. my wife hangs around the top 5 of so in the nat'l slalom rankings and our our 2 kids skied regionals for the first time this year. we love the outdoors. skiin', biikin', hunting, swimming and anything that makes you tired. i keep my scores around 4 or 5 at 38 in tourneys. i typically save my best skiing for practice. i've decided that 2012 i will lose some wieght and get my average into 39. thx

• Baller

Robby Trimble 50ish, we own a private lake in the Sacramento, CA area...skied tournaments for years...only I was never very good under BIG pressure, ran 35 off in tournaments, but really could not be consistant. Won a few, lost more...started "SkiSunsetRanch" 8 years ago with my husband Doug, who by the way is a saint...

A. he's married to me

B. he is a great coach, he truly has the eye and the patience!

Still really love the sport and really love the school/vacation experience that we host now. At tournaments most people are unhappy, very few ski their PB at a tournament, at our school everyone is happy, they always get better, whatever that is for them.

Bought into the Centurion Carbon Pro early and were nervous, but as you know, are really pleasantly surprised and happy with the boat...Still ski alot, more than most folks entire season, love the people we meet that come to the school, love the opportunity to help them see how to do it right!

Anyone out there who thinks you want your own lake...whew, that's a big load...better to make me an offer and get it ready made!

BIG thanks to Horton, for giving our sport a forum without this, where would we all go????

Thx, RT

• Baller

Robby Trimble 50ish, we own a private lake in the Sacramento, CA area...skied tournaments for years...only I was never very good under BIG pressure, ran 35 off in tournaments, but really could not be consistant. Won a few, lost more...started "SkiSunsetRanch" 8 years ago with my husband Doug, who by the way is a saint...

A. he's married to me

B. he is a great coach, he truly has the eye and the patience!

Still really love the sport and really love the school/vacation experience that we host now. At tournaments most people are unhappy, very few ski their PB at a tournament, at our school everyone is happy, they always get better, whatever that is for them.

Bought into the Centurion Carbon Pro early and were nervous, but as you know, are really pleasantly surprised and happy with the boat...Still ski alot, more than most folks entire season, love the people we meet that come to the school, love the opportunity to help them see how to do it right!

Anyone out there who thinks you want your own lake...whew, that's a big load...better to make me an offer and get it ready made!

BIG thanks to Horton, for giving our sport a forum without this, where would we all go????

Thx, RT

Kevin Lundell 28 years old Chiropractor out of Ogden UT. I've been skiing since I was 8 competing since I was 12. I took 5 years off from skiing for chiropractic school and have gotten back into the sport the last two seasons. My wife loves to ski and has gotten the competitive addiction this last season afters she qualified and skied in Regionals. I got my OM rating this year and have been loving my 63.75 Nano Twist Mid Ride.

Kevin Lundell 28 years old Chiropractor out of Ogden UT. I've been skiing since I was 8 competing since I was 12. I took 5 years off from skiing for chiropractic school and have gotten back into the sport the last two seasons. My wife loves to ski and has gotten the competitive addiction this last season afters she qualified and skied in Regionals. I got my OM rating this year and have been loving my 63.75 Nano Twist Mid Ride.

• Baller
Dan Bueche, 53 years old from Cincinnati, OH area. Been lurking here for several years. Love the site. Have skied since I was 10 but only recently have had access to a slalom course. I ski at "Extreme Watersports Center" which has several lakes and 3 courses. Married with two boys, one, 17, who only does "wake sports" and the other, 15, who could be an excellent slalom skier but would rather chase girls, go figure. I am slowly getting better a bit every year. Made my first complete passes through 34 mph/15 off last summer and made a number of 22 offs this summer. Hope to conquer 28 off next year. Glad to still be doing this at 53 and getting better. My boat is an '01 Malibu Sunsetter LXI....the best all-around watersports boat Malibu ever made. Ski is a Radar Vice which I am growing to love.

• Baller
Dan Bueche, 53 years old from Cincinnati, OH area. Been lurking here for several years. Love the site. Have skied since I was 10 but only recently have had access to a slalom course. I ski at "Extreme Watersports Center" which has several lakes and 3 courses. Married with two boys, one, 17, who only does "wake sports" and the other, 15, who could be an excellent slalom skier but would rather chase girls, go figure. I am slowly getting better a bit every year. Made my first complete passes through 34 mph/15 off last summer and made a number of 22 offs this summer. Hope to conquer 28 off next year. Glad to still be doing this at 53 and getting better. My boat is an '01 Malibu Sunsetter LXI....the best all-around watersports boat Malibu ever made. Ski is a Radar Vice which I am growing to love.

• Baller

Robb Warner. 28 years old, look 17. 3 kids, 2, 3 and almost 7. Wonderful wife who just started skiing this past summer. I have been skiing since I was 16, open water on Lake Minnewawa, McGregor MN from a junk of land known as Warner's Point. Regretfully I grew up on the lake and did not ski until I was 16 minus one day behind a 13' Whaler with a 35 horse. Fast forward to 16, A pair of wood Cypress Gardens and I was hooked. Worked up to dropping one that summer and let me tell you it was a pain trying to cross the wake from the outboard on that light wood ski. Lots of diggers. Then an old EP honeycomb that I dropped to. Cousin bought a 70" CDX and I loved that. Bought a 67" ASX with my brother and skied that from 2002 until the end of this past summer when I got the hookup on a D3 CustomX from a guy I met on snowmobling forums and sledded with. He also told me about BOS so thanks again 6@38 (how I know him from sledding) I think JLittle on here.

Past few years do to work and young kids my water time was shorter then I liked, but this past summer I jumped back in. I love getting up and skiing in the morning, stealing water during the day and then going again after supper. The joys of a public lake in northern MN!!! If I'm not skiing, I can be found playing off the docks with my kids, fishing with them, the wife or my brother and now my favorite water past time, tubing with my kids. Never thought I'd say it, but the best time I have ever had on glass was sitting on a tube with them!!!

Now live in Plainview, MN and work as a Radiological Technologist, aka x-ray tech at some clinic place here in SE MN. Would love to find a gig back up north, but with kids and a house payment I am most likely stuck in the land of no natural lakes in the Land of 10,000 for the next 22 years and 9 months(but whose counting). Though I hope to meet up with some folks down here next summer for some ski time between trips up north. Also am trying to start a faith based water sports outreach in the area with a couple of fellow skiers/believers I recently met....who knows where that will lead but I am excited.

Other hobbies involve dirt biking (yep as a x-ray tech), snowmobiling (man is riding the mountains a rush), street bike and as much fishing and hunting as I can get, which isn't enough! Also dabbled in homebrewing and have been known to enjoy a good beer or drink.

I must say outside of snowmobiling I have not met better people then the ones I have met on the lake with skis involved.

• Baller

Brent Triplett, 24 years on this earth. Been skiing since I was really young, but really into it since I was 9. Live up in Michigan, ski on Hidden Lake in Clio. Been skiing tournaments since I was 9 and still do today. Placed at regionals quite a bit, taking 1st twice (2000, 2011) and placing at nationals 3 times, (2005(3rd), 2010(4th), 2011(2nd)). I just started skiing in the Open division after this past years nationals and hoping to take on some pro events, if there are any.

I post on here occasionally, hopefully going to more. Also, looking to work and do some coaching in Florida, if you know anyone who is looking for some help, let me know haha.

• Baller

I'm new to this site as well. Bryan Oelkers, 27, from Hayfield, MN. Little town of 1,200 in SE MN. I can relate to @xrated with no lakes around. Do all my skiing at the cabin 4 hours away on Upper Gull Lake in Nisswa, MN. My wife and I love to wake up in the morning and ski before breakfast before "The Crazies" come out for the day and after the go in for the night. My favorite skiing is when we are pushing daylight on the glass. I got my best friend addicted this summer as well! My whole family is into skiing. Have a huge picture in my man cave with my brothers and cousins with our skis. Even took my daughter's newborn pictures with my wife's and my skis! Never skiied on a course, but would jump at the opportunity! I am always looking for ways to improve and be a stronger skiier!

@xrated I would like to hear more about your idea for a faith based program in the area.

• Baller
Pat Morrill from Brimfield, MA. Skiing since I was 7. Competitively since 24. I am now 44 and in my last year of Mens 3. I ski in front of my home on a public lake (Little Alum, Brimfield, MA). Not great skiing conditions, but its not bad either. I ski on a Goode 9900 and behind a 09 SN 196. I am the owner/operator of a funeral home in Southbridge, MA and skiing is the best release from work for me. As is everybody else on this forum I am addicted to water skiing. My wife is Lori and my daughter Kathryn is 10. She just started skiing this year after many years of prodding. And ya know what? She thinks its fun! Daddy can't always be wrong. I love good beer, good music, and enjoy golf (as long as it does not take time away from skiing). I have been an avid LA/St. Louis Rams fan since I was 5 years old.

• Baller

Dave Wert from central New Jersey (don't say "you're from jersey? what exit?) I'm not even close to the NJ turnpike or Garden state parkway. I am living proof that many of us Jerseyans are NOT like anyone on "Jersey Shore"!

I'm married with 2 kids (8 & 18). My wife skis and my kids both wakeboard. Hoping to get my daughter, (8 y.o.) on a slalom ski in the near future....my 18 y.o. son will most likely stick to wakeboarding.

I came from a family of recreational skiers, learned at age 8 behind our 15' Starcraft/65 HP outboard and got hooked!

I think I started to slalom at age 10. Bought my first boat at 18 (16ft outboard) and my first true ski boat was a 19 foot 1988 Ski Eliminator. Stepped up to a 1994 Prostar 190, lost my focus on a couple I/O's after that. Now have an '05 X-star and a '93 Prostar 190 Limited (just got 4 weeks ago).....spring cannot come fast enough!

Back around '85 I went to Dave Spencer's ski camp in NY hoping to improve my slalom skiing. Never really got any better after that, plus learned to barefoot so slalom took a back seat. Joined the Lake Aldred ski club for a while in the late 80's-early 90's, then discovered Port Indian ski club shortly after and spent a few summers footin' and skiing there. 2005-present I've been spending most of my time wakeboarding and foiling on the Delaware river in Florence NJ and met some great people.......none of which can even get up on a slalom ski.

Met a skier not too far from me and took a few slalom sets behind her Prostar 197......I'm starting to like slalom again!

Heading back to Port Indian sunday Jan 1st for "ski freeze" so I can see some old friends take to the frigid water....not me this time, I'll just be a spectator!

Great forum! I found you through MC teamtalk......this site is flying under the radar. I will be glad to spread the good word at the NY boat show coming up in one week. Anyone else going to the NY boat show?

Phil, 48,

From the great world down under. Been around boats & skiing since I was in nappies. Just wish my PB's had improved with age. Got 2 boys, 11 & about to turn 15. Both love skiing & currently little bro is starting to set his sights on his mentor brother. (Just realizing he's now a potential target).

Have the privilege of being able to ski on a private dam on a mates property so have been really spoiled for the past 10 years. Get to have our own course installed there.

Managed to get to a PB of 4 @ 28 off 5 or six years back before the drought made things hard for us. Trying to work my way back there again now.

Biggest buzz in my skiing days was spent with my landlord & mate when I lived in Newcastle from 18 to my early 20's. He was a great skier & a top bloke to kick around with.

http://www.sahof.org.au/hall-of-fame/member-profile/?memberID=44&memberType=athlete

True ambassador to the sport & just an "A1" top bloke.

Only stressed me out in one way, & that was being appointed as his trick release operator & having to drive slalom in the days before Perfect Pass when there was only a foot throttle.

Cheers

Phil

Interesting @auskier how's you work that out.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=gum+flat+NSW&hl=en&ll=-29.816556,150.920949&spn=0.011747,0.022681&gbv=2&hnear=Gum+Flat+New+South+Wales&gl=au&t=h&z=16&vpsrc=6

Where are you?

Great shot, was one I took back in about '82 or 83.

Negatives are a bit scratchy these days, but still scanned up OK.

Wonder how an Arm Guard would work in this situation. Might provide some additional support.

Phil