It is time for your yearly Who Are You Guys thread:

Horton

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave Satterfield. I started tournament skiing in 2000. My first tournament was the State Championship and scored a whopping 4 buoys at 15/36! I've been hooked ever since. Was an avid golfer and pretty decent at it. I think I've played 5-6 rounds in 10 years now. lol

I started tournament skiing with a great group of guys at Lake Anna in Va. It's a nuclear power plant lake, so I learned to love the warm water. There were many days where the water temp was in the upper 90s. Water skied great! I still ski there some in the winter time as the water doesn't get too cold.

Several years ago, I was fortunate enough to catch up with some guys skiing at a lake near my house. Now I consider myself extremely spoiled. I get to ski at one of the best lakes on the east coast and it's a whopping 8 miles from my house. The owner is nice enough to let us ski for free. We just help take care of the property - quite a bit of work.

A few years ago, I was getting bored with the typical tournament scene. After a lot of brainstorming and bouncing ideas off my ski buddy, I created the 'Little Dawg' series in Va. Obviously similar to the Big Dawg, but these tournaments are handicapped so the most beginner can compete against our top skiers. I think it has been a huge success and brought fun back to tournaments.

I'm a regular driver and regular judge (soon to be senior in both), state safety director and a regular scorer. I have been the tournament director for all of our tournaments including 5 last year. Two of which included night skiing with our own lighted buoys! I'm also on the Nautique promo team.

My goal for the next couple years is for our lake to gain more exposure on a national level. I'd love to host a BOS tournament and would be happy to invite any of you that would like to come to one of our other tournaments.

• Baller

Kim,Kim,Kim,Kim,Kim!!!!

You're definitely my favorite driver. So smooth and centered even when I'm not invisible to the boat which is always. You're a good skier too! I miss you and Knucklehead! GROUP HUG!! Just 5 months to go. Put my boat to sleep Sunday.

• Baller

Jim Ross, 47 year old slalom junkie from MN.  Lucky to have an understanding wife who is a great skier and an even better driver.  We ski around 6:30AM every morning before work between April and November (including yesterday and this morning, in fact).  Water is getting chilly.  Three kids now 17, 16 and 13.  Oldest has competed since 14 years old, middle not interested, youngest just started skiing more this year.  Most of our time is on a public lake, thus the early mornings.  I learn something about skiing every time I'm on the water, which is what keeps me coming back . . . well, that and all the great people you meet in this sport!  I could sit and talk skiing and watch skiing all day long (can I get paid for that?).   

As for MS, Mrs MS, 6balls, and that thager fella, they're all great to ski with and I'd take any one of them as a driver anyday (especially Mrs MS!)

Cheers!

JR 

My name is Terri, I'm uh... I never admit this... 3 years from W5.  I have been slalom skiing since I was about 15, and learned to slalom behind a mid-60s Correct Craft on 10 Mile Lake in Minnesota.  My brother in-law's friend (nic-name Swanny) got me going & forever hooked...  It was all free skiing for me until I was about 40, so I got a late start in the course.  I ski at Dream Lake Estates between Des Moines & Ames Iowa.  If anyone is ever through the area, stop by for a pull! 
I ski on a 66" D3 Z7 ST with Radar RS1 bindings.  I am working on 15off/34mph - it is elusive to me...  Think maybe I'll just start practicing for W5 where max speed is 32mph...
Was trying to get together to ski with Mrs. MS & a mutual friend this past summer, but it never worked out.  Hopefully next summer...  My husband owes me some time with 'the girls' since he bailed on me to ride his Harley to Sturgis this past summer.

• Baller
>mopowpow...We WILL get together for sure next summer...come stay for a weekend K? We will BOTH run that SOBhttp://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-laughing.gif hahaha

Mrs MS... you're on!  It is MY TURN to get a weekend away & Kelly needs more time off work!!

6balls - I'll make the suggestion to our tourny director.  We need to get more people to our tourneys besides IA & NE folks.  I believe MS & Mrs was even there a few years ago...

• Baller

Hi Terri,

You used to get a significant number of MN skiers to your tourneys. I skied there a bunch of times when Scott T was putting on the show...also at his former pickle farm site, and Barry Madden's clearwater site back in the day.  With the two lakes running a lot of skiing got done.  A few times there was ability level grouping rather than age based, with the option of a head to head final.  Fun stuff.

6balls,

Yes, we need to go back to doing something like that, our tourneys have been pretty BORING the last few years.  Ability level groupings would be great, mix the men & women of all ages. 
Scott got tired of being the director a few years ago & passed off the 'duties'.  He didn't ski much last summer, our lake was missing it's 'godfather of skiing' & I missed my morning ski partner (had to settle for the husband instead).

MS,

You need to go back to college for the Septemeber tourney...  ISU is now hosting spring & fall collegate tourneys, we let them hold a fall tourney when we dropped ours (football schedule conflicts, I think...)  You need to get a new SN200 promo boat & come on down!!

I am Johnny Seiler-- one of the Tn. nasty boys.  I am a sr. driver and asst. judge . I am a producer of concrete blocks ,precast beams,and other related products.  I ski in Sweetwater Tn.  I love to snow ski and ride road bikes.

Another Washington State skier:

Been a lurker for a long time on BOS, thanks for having this forum, lots of good info here and entertainment as well.

Wayne Sargent, 61, Skied for 30 years+ on a Maha behind a little 14' outboard with a 125 hp motor, then to a Barefoot Sanger. Now ski on a Phantom behind an 06 Malibu LXI w/PP.

Married, with 3 grown kids, live on a public lake with a course. PB 5 @ 32 off (probably a dozen times), (must think I have to wave to my 'sponsors' when it looks like I'll run the pass)

Because it is a public lake we don't have great water much of the time, but love being out there stil.

Golf nut as well, 6-9 handicap. Also love to fly aerobatics.

Life is WONDERFUL!!!!!!

Ed, I may have seen you fly the Bud Light Jet. (looked amazing)  I did a few competitions with the local IAC chapter, but now I just fly to amuse myself and some friends on the ground. Occasionally donate a ride to a group to auction off to raise money. I fly a Hiperbipe. 200hp Lycoming with inverted fuel/oil and smoke.

Sarge

• Baller

http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Ed/My%20Documents/My%20Pictureshttp://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Ed/My%20Documents.jpgSarge,

Here is the 8X10 Picture/Bio we signed and handed out at the airshows back then. You can see if it is how you remembered it.......ED

• Baller

lkb,

Did Aerobatic Stunt work for several movies and TV Commercials in different aircraft back then. We were involved with 007 "Octopussy" back around 82 I believe, along with two friends of mine. We had 2 real Jets and a life size model that had folding wings and tail, for Roger Moore to runaround in on the ground.........ED

PS: I'd still rather talk about skiing though!!!

• Administrators

Ed,

Do you know DW. You guys may have mutual acquaintances from racing. I think there are some real parallels between racing and slalom

Steve Rosen, 58 years old, PB 3 @ 35. Started full-time course skiing on my 50th b-day. Have been skiing INT since then, and want shout a "howdy" to Craig, our announcer(I still have your screwdriver, bud). Started skiing because a neurologist suggested I start a physical activty which would increase the strength of my lower back muscles, though I don't think he had slalom in mind. 10 years later, I've traded the back problems for a surgically repaired shoulder, a cervicle spine fusion, a shattered tib/fib( with plates, screws etc.), strains, tweaks and bruises up the proverbial "yang". I would not change a minute of it.

I live on Lake Shasta (in Calif.), and ski at Villai Lagos with kpickett and a great group of no-ego skiers. Like to ski a min. of 3 days a week, 3-4 sets/day, and skiid 84 sets in July of this year (was laid off at the time). Obvious to all should be that I exhibit all the classic signs of a slalom addict, and have even been accused of being a "ski ho".

Married 31 years to my better-half, Patty. She started skiing 3 yrs ago, and is a full-blown addict as well. She now mandates that we spend EVERY weekend at the pond; man i hate it when she bosses me around like that. We have three kids. Only one ski's, but she ski's into -32. 

Boat is an '07 MC 197, which we bought after selling the best boat I ever owned, our Response.

• Baller

John,

Your absolutely correct about the parallels being linked between racing and skiing. You got to see some of that in the equipment arena with your trip to Europe and the composite technology of F-1 influencing ski design and construction. The Warp was a prime example. I Love the technology of F-1.

I also view the Slalom course as a 6 turn Road Course. From attending numerous Race Driving Schools such as SCCA, Skip Barber, Jim Russell, etc., one of the first things you learn is how to properly execute a turn. How to Trail Brake into the Apex and Accelerate out of it......I use Counter-Rotation to substitute for Trail Braking, and am constantly trying to develop better technique to Accelerate off the Apex through the hookup. Not waiting till I get two hands on the handle to begin my acceleration. No Driver worth a crap would wait till the finish of the turn to begin acceleration. It's all about exit speed and sustaining energy at the finish of the turn.

Sorry for the rant but these are subjects I strongly believe in.....Keep up the good work your doing bringing us all together on BOS. It is definitely the highest quality site there is.

ED

• Baller
Boomer, 42 years old, PB = working on it. I ski with Rob Quetschke and this last year my skiing went through the roof. I anticipate running 22 and being semi consistent at 28. I won an 08 MasterCraft 197 TT and have been spending more and more time on the water. I ski on a Radar Strada and am hooked on it. FYI - I bought mine before Robby bought his:) I have 4 girls who are starting to show an interest. My dream is to build my own lake........soon! I also hope to run 38 some day! I love teaching kids to water ski.

• Baller
I finally slowed down enough to make this post so here goes…….my real name is Ted Thomson and I live in Austin Texas (some trivia - my family came here before Texas was a state).I never skied the course until my mid 20’s and when I did – discovered that unless I had access to a slalom course I could forget about competition.   SO because I’m extremely lucky to live on Lake Austin I became a serious Wally.  In my late 30’s I realized that skiing was my life so I bought a lot at Aquaplex.   I told my wife “ it’s about the same price as a golf membership†- and somehow she bought that argument.I’ve finally gotten serious about skiing with people better than myself and getting good coaching.  Trent Finlayson lives and trains in the area so I take lessons from him (great coach).  I skied in my first tournaments in 20 years this summer and have a tournament pb of 4.5 @ 32 (practice is 4@ 35).  I have a 07 CC 196 Ltd at Aquaplex and a 98 MC 205 on Lake Austin.  The most notable BOS guy I occasionally ski with at Aquaplex is Mad11 (Marc Austin).  I love my Strada and FM E-Series bindings.I anticipate that soon again my skiing will suffer since all three kids (6,8,and 10) have started competing in tournaments.  They currently take trick lesson from Kay Nichols.My oldest son will soon be crossing over to Boy Scouts and I’ll be the “water guy†since I’m a sucker and current Scout Leader.  Some of you’all might know a guy called Floyd McCreight.  He lives at Aquaplex and at the age of 72 he still skis 4-5 times a week……….that kind of longevity is my goal.   

Ok, I live in Chilliwack BC. I am 38 and have been skiing since I was 6. I am married with two daughters 9 and 7. I grew up on Mara lake in the Shuswap of British Columbia. My parents owned a campground from 79-93. Spent my summers on the water as we had access to both the lake and river. Since we did not have access to a course I mostly free skied and then moved into barefooting in the late 80's. Ran a parasailing operation in ' 89 with our malibu skier. In the 90's it was all about wakeboarding behind our Ski Brendella. After University and my parents selling the campground I haven't spent as much time on the water.

Last spring I purchased a 1980 Ski Nautique after seeing a Ski Boat/RV advertisement saying "You only have 18 summers with your kids. How many do you have left???"  Got both my girls up on skis last summer and looking forward to them progressing and having the fun and memories I have.

I am now concentrating on slalom skiing again and looking to learn the course to be able to measure my improvement. Love the site and all the great info provided.

I should also add I am looking to meet up with anyone in the area to do some slalom skiing.