What's the best Drysuit?

Chuck_Dickey

For baggy suits, I've been reading and a lot of people talk about Eagle for the front entry, O'neill boost for the neoprene neck seal, and Wiley's/Adrenaline if th budget is tight. Then there are the hybrid suits - which I would be more interested in if I lived near a shop and could get a more accurate idea of size... but I've only researched the baggy ones.

• Baller

I have been very happy with my Oneill Assault drysuit. 

It is baggy on top and tight in the legs - but totally dry.  I was not brave enough to go totally "baggy" for slalom skiing.  I like the wetsuit fit on the legs - no worries about dragging the suit in the water.  

Happy hunting.  

• Baller

Another vote for O'Neill Assault!

Very very comfortable for slalom skiing!

Only regret was why did i wait so long to get a drysuit?

I also bought a neoprene hood and yesterday was my first set with it.Beside the wind whistling sound,it's another great piece of gear for cold water...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller_

StayDry bag suit, wear neoprene ski legs over both calves to reduce drag and prolong seal life.  Wear a slim style vest inside, and adjust the weight and number of inner layers depending on water/air temp.  Just leave enough air inside the suit for flexibility, and if you fart, DON'T "BURP" THE NECK SEAL !

Neoprene spray legs are the key to keeping the suit from dragging you down on your turn. When you try the suit on make sure you bend over to see if there is enough length in the torso. You don't want the torso too short, because if it is to short, when you go to bring your knees up to your chest on your pull up, you can get a nasty wedgie feeling pulling hard you know where. 

• Baller
I used an O'Neill Boost full baggy with the neoprene spray guard treatment and vest inside as Richard. Still love it but now I hold it in reserve for the most extreme days. I now prefer full suits. The new ones are so super stretchy and are a breeze to get on and off. Just prefer the lack of drag in water and air. I have a 3/2 for early cool days and a 4/3 with neck seal that is virtually dry for water and air down to 90 combined. I eliminated my spring suit when it fell apart after 12 years and just wear neo shorts and top till full suit. Still hard to beat getting out of your drysuit in 30 seconds, still be dry and dressed in your jeans and sweatshirt.

• Baller
I really like my my Eagle baggy. The cut is good for layering and it is non-restrictive. Also, the lighter more flexible fabric will stick to you once it burps so I don't feel I need the neoprene over the legs. Overall, just higher quality than my old StayDry, just a bit more expensive.

• Baller

I have had baggy's in the past and did not like the drag or the tightness of the latex seals for on/off.  I like the comfort of how the O'neil Assault goes on/off, but would qualify it as "semi-dry".  I consistently get water blasted up my right (front foot) leg in a deep onside turn even w/the leg cinches in place.  I also take some in the arms just on hole shot.  Far warmer than w/out, but not nearly the bone dry I get from the baggy. 

Sure would like to find a truly dry hybrid suit, or a non-drag baggy still w/good mobility and seals that are not a pain in the butt for on/off.  Skiing in MN from ice out to ice in we need good cold water gear...if any new thoughts lemme know.  Thanks.

• Baller

Anyone know anything about these:

http://www.gul.com/product/delta-6543-dry-blindstitch-winter-steamer.aspx

My Oneil seems only semi-dry, and getting cold here in MN.  Threw on my old barefoot international baggy but can't stand the wind drag...incredible.  25 more lbs on PP to run times w/that thing on.  Not familiar w/suit in the link, but looks promising.  Appears to be neoprene w/neo wrists/ankles, but latex neck.

Thoughts?

• Baller
It looks like this is a UK only product from the web site. I have a cousin that surfs in England near were some of the shops are located. If you want I can ask what his opinion is of them for surfing. The Atlantic and the English channel get pretty cold to. Let me know.

• Baller

Thanks colo skier

I would appreciate any input you could obtain.  Would like a low drag drysuit (neo) that actually keeps me dry.  My bro has a Bare that is no longer produced...best suit I have seen.  It's a hybrid but has secondary seals up from primary seals that stop any water entry past first barrier.

Eagle Drysuit is great, Tested it out this week and it fits much better than my previous bag suit (around the waiste). I prefer the bag suits so I can get a layer of clothing underneath, last year skied days where air temp was in the high 40's and water temp in the high 30's. I also wear the spray leg on my rear leg, open toe. I purchased a hat from a running store that is water resistant and it made all the difference on the really cold days.

If I could figure out a way to stop my hands from going numb after the third pass I would be set

• Baller

ZING!

MRS.bmiller3536 and i'll be drinking hot coco from inside while watching you ski then!

and then next year, mrs.bmiller3536, girlfriendscoke and I will all be going the same speed so we can whine together about that while drinking coco while you freeze your gonads off ;)

• Baller
Kevlar liners on first, then the surgical gloves then the regular gloves. The trick is to  have the cuff of the kevlar under the drysuit sleeve than the surgical glove cuff on the outside of the drysuit slick neo sleeve, then the regular glove cinched up makes a compression seal. Hands stay warm and dry!

• Baller
If your seals are rubber on the outside and fabric inside the you don't get the ruber to rubber seal and water will leak up youur sleeve. My O'Neill suit has lycra fabric on the inside of all the seals. Lot's of bag suits have all rubber seals so as long and the surgical glove is rubber to rubber you stay dry.