Strada or Reflex Bindings

MrB

Injured my ankle last spring on Animals (front) and a RTP. After recovery and cleared  to resume skiing I switched to Wiley's. I like them because I think I won't get re-injured since I come out of them on almost every fall. I always felt since I use a RTP I need to come out when I fall. All my partners think it's safer to stay in the binding no matter what the fall is like. I really now would rather stay in but come out when necessary. It seems that the Strada and Reflex are well suited for a RTP skier. I sure could use some fresh opinions.

• Baller

I have been using a Reflex with a RTP for a few season now. I really like the set up. I have never used the Strada bindings but if you have a weak ankle I would think that the higher and stronger cuff on he Reflex would be better choice to keep it from getting injured a second time. I have only pre released on the Reflex once. It was when I first got the binding and working on my DIN settings, other than that it has always released when I needed it to and stayed on when it should have. I would recommend it to anyone. They are both good systems and both have their own pulses and minuses. I would ask around and see if anyone has a set up of both the Strada and Reflex you could try before buying. I know H2Oproshop.com does ski demos but I'm not not sure about bindings. Call up Tadd and talk to him he is a good guy and can help you out making the right choice.

• Baller

I hurt my foot badly on Wiley's (jumping - and I don't go far). Wiley's are also very heavy.

Animals are great but the EVA foam on the ones I liked stiffened up - a lot. I put a bunch of holes in the EVA to make it more flexible before I got injured. So for me Animals were safe. But eventually they got too uncomfortable. I should have had Wileys rebuild the Animals with fresh EVA.

I've seen RTP skiers use the Goode setup (one plate for both front and RTP).

Reflex is an excellent system. Well proven for tricks where one  foot is locked in and the the other in a rear toe piece. Arguably the safest RTP setup. Maybe a little too stiff and responsive for me. (My boots are soft to start with and cut back even softer for slalom.) I've seen lots of trick pre releases so I would be wary of double Reflexes.

Radar boots rock. I love Kirk's Stradas double boot setup (stock! I didn't modify them at all - except for lightening the plate a bit). My RS1s were nice - even better when I replaced the hard laces with a clip. But I never tried them as a front with RTP. I run the rear loose on all the laces.

Eric

• Baller
MrB I use a RTP with my set up. I have hurt my front foot before in a rubber binding before and will not go back also hard shells/hybrids are much more comfortable and allow you to ski much longer. Im with eleeski I would not recommend a double Reflex System. But your a RTP skier so you should be fine.

I'm not too crazy about FM, they seem to be require too much set up. I don't read too much about Prodigy. I never think about Goode. I think I need to demo Strada. My son-in-law uses the Reflex, I tried a double set up  last summer but felt they were too stiff. Are the Strada's more of a soft feel? Are they a comfortable, hard shell that are safe but not a sloppy  Wiley rubber?

• Baller

MrB,

I've used Radar RS-1 and now Strada front with RTP for the last 3 years.  I find it to be a very good combination.  You will come out of the Strada on a bad fall if you don't pull it too tight (which is what they recommend for all skiers).  I was on an Animal front before that.  The RS-1/Strada gives you much more edge control without needing to be so tight.