What's Up With Gas Prices?

Mateo_Vargas

• Baller
Gas Prices USA try Gas Prices in the UK, approx £6.50 = approx $10.30  Gallon or though our Gallon is a bit more than yours 5 litres actually, enough to bring on chest pains, we have to run our boats on LPG its fine just lose some power not quite as responsive, but a lot cheaper than petrol. Supprised you guy,s are not on LPG, mind you $3.50 gallon is pretty cheap to me.

• Baller
Back during the early 70s when gas shortages brought the country to its knees, CC spent a tubload of money for R&D on diesel engines in their SN boats.  They were never pleased with the result and I don't remember exactly the problems, but they dropped the whole program.  Has anyone heard of LPG propulsion in the states?  News to me.  Anyway, nothing we can do about price and to think that higher prices would keep us from chasing that next buoy---ain't gonna happen.

We are stuck in a cycle of swings. As the economy gets better, gas prices will go up. More people spending money means that more petro products are being consumed. Add the speculators that are ripping us off and the rise of the left moving us towards a euro economy and we are in big trouble.

I agree, we do need to get this LNG up and running.     

• Administrators

We are all mad when we fill up but as a skier but try to keep in perspective.

What % of the cost of skiing is your gas? If you own a $40K or $50K boat and fuel costs you $20 more per tank I think this is a small percent. What is the additional cost per ski ride?

Totally off subject - not about Water Skiing 

As general consumer you have a reason to be mad - the price of fuel impacts that cost of all consumer goods. The connection between the cost of fuel and the cost of food is the big one. This is especially bad for the poor in America as food is a larger % of their total budget.   

No one wants to hear this but the oil companies are not to blame or at least are not the key to the problem. Oil companies operate in the free market like everyone else. When you regulate the free market you get unintended consequences. Lots of unintended consequences.  As our economy becomes less of a free market the cost of goods will continue to rise.  

FYI – Peak Oil is a fact like Global Warming is a fact. It depends on who you listen to and what your political agenda is. I highly recommend the book “ Physics for Future Presidents” by Richard Muller ( http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Future-Presidents-Richard-Muller/dp/142662459X ). I do not 100% agree with some of his conclusions on Global Warming but this book is way more thought provoking than the right or left wing media.  

Democrat or Republican, we should all be wicked pissed at our state and federal representation. They are boning us all.

In California a large region is not getting water for farming in order to save a small fish. Ok great, protect the fish but how many farms need to go bankrupt before we say, put the fish in a tank and let the farmers grow some crops so the most fertile agricultural region on earth can get to business. I thought we were trying to grow jobs - this is not the way to start a recovery.

Ref: http://www.cfact.org/a/1581/Tiny-fish-threatens-to-turn-Californias--Central-Valley-into-Dust-Bowl

http://articles.sfgate.com/2007-05-22/bay-area/17245284_1_delta-smelt-working-group-bay-delta-sacramento-san-joaquin-river-delta

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:6RvRSnMidnM8AM:http://www1.ibdcd.com/image/2cISSa0928_ph090925.jpg&t=1

Horton,

Did you post that?

Fact, Global Warming is real!!!!  I would hope that you have 100000000000000000000000000000 years of weather data to back that up. You may be able to convince me that we are in a warming part of a cycle, but to say that man is causing it is BS. We are not stronger than nature and if you think so, explain the earth quake in Chile, how there is oil to be gotten and the last 3 ice ages.

Besides a terriorist attack, name any possible way to shut air travel down over the entire Euro continant and into Africa and Russia? Can you say Volcano? We are not stronger than nature but are a mere speck of sand in the history of this planet. Enjoy the warm weather while we have it and dont tax the world into the dark ages thinking we can control it.

I am all for clean air and water but keep global warming out of it. 

• Administrators

Mark,

you might want to re-read my post.

I said "Peak Oil is a fact like Global Warming is a fact. It depends on who you listen to and what your political agenda is." I am not saying they are true... I am saying that these are ideas that are generally missunderstood.  I said "It depends on who you listen to and what your political agenda is"

I know. I know. Back to skiing. If you guys could hear my inner dialog this week.....

• Baller

"It depends on who you listen to and what your political agenda is"

True that most people seem to approach it that way. That being said, there is really nothing left to debate scientifically on either subject. Ignore the rhetoric and just look at the facts and data.

• Administrators

Jordan,

There is a 50/50 chance we strongly disagree on these points. I should have not started this. Lets stop.

BOS is about skiing and folks get pretty upset when talking politics.

my fault

As far as the cost of gas for skiing is concerned. Since we use our boats on lakes and rivers and not on the highways and byways, then you can deduct a big chunk of the tax included in the price of gas when filing your taxes. Takes a bit of accounting (log book to note dates and amounts) but can take some of the hurt out of it.

You need the log book and the receipts in case of an audit. If your club has to log their practice runs, that will support your deduction as well. Some club lakes that have tanks buy Ag gas, same as the farmers use. It has a dye in it that the CHP will fine you dearly for if they check and find it in a car, but since they only use it to fill their boats it saves all the tax hassle.

• Baller

Global warming is real. The effects on the world are debatable - and certain not to be all bad. And the timeframe for any change is very uncertain.

Peak oil has also passed. But there is still lots of expensive oil out there (deep in the gulf?). I can solar cook up gas from lots of renewable sources - if the price is high enough. Gas will always be there. And even our expensive gas is still cheap.

I can keep skiing even with European priced gas. But it will really be bad for the base of the sport.

Maybe we'll end up with more fuel efficient boats.

Eric

• Baller

Three years a go we decided to solarize our house in Orlando. We also sold our two Hummers and a Viper and replaced them with a Hybrid SUV and two Prius's. Not having a $400 dollar utility bill and $80 dollar gas fill ups, went a long way towards being able to purchase a CC200 to ski with. I cant wait for an electric ski boat I can plug in at the boat house and let the sun pay for skiing.

Numbers released this week show we are sitting on over 800 BILLION barrels of oil. Three times what the Saudis have with 260 Billion barrels. Yet the Libs keep us from drilling and Obama puts a Moratorium on drilling in the gulf. Then we send BILLIONS overseas to countries that hate us boosting their economy and hurting ours, to buy their oil, while we sit on three times as much. REALLY SMART.

• Baller

Hmmm...shale oil...been waiting on that development since the 1940's.

Several countries have been working on this for years and have so far produced almost nothing. I can tell you one thimg though, if they figure it out, it will be very expensive oil.

Canadian oil from the tar sands actually consumes more energy than it produces.

• Baller
We have a grocery store chain in Ohio and PA that has a program called fuelperks. For every $50 in groceries, you get 10 cents off a gallon of gas(up to 30 gallons). I cash it in every 3 months before they expire, and I am able to take a big chunk out of my gasoline bill. I was able to get 80% of my boat gas for free last summer. I have enough cans to carry 30 gallons. I typically use 300 gallons in a season may-October..

• Baller

If gas gets up to $8.00 gallon I would convert my Malibu RLX to run on compressed natural gas. The performance of cng ='s gasoline. As far as cost, we are paying $0.75 a gallon for cng here in Oklahoma..... Three of us in our ski club have cng trucks & love them.  

www.cngprices.com 

Did your supplier guarantee his "Clear Fuel" ?

Never heard of such a thing. All gasoline will Oxidize over time and cause problems even with stabilizers. The stabilizers will just slow the process down. The fact that there is no alcohol is a plus as that would speed the process up. Gasoline is a highly refined product. After time spent sitting in storage the chemical make up begins to change and the volatility begins to decrease and so does engine performance.

Lets not forget about water condensation. Ideally you want to keep your tank as full as possible to prevent condensation, but if your not buying new fuel because of high prices that will not possible.

Where I live I can buy gas from the pump without MTBE or ethanol. Gas will usually have one or the other in urban areas were air quality is problem.

But in rural areas that is not the case. I still use stabilizers when I store over the winter and have had problems with injectors and filters.

Anyways good luck with your gamble and lets us know how it goes. You may be laughing all summer while we all watch the price at the pump keep on rising. Then again a clogged injector or bad fuel pump or worse can buy a lot of gas and time.

• Baller
Only fuel problem I ever had was when I added fuel stabilizer during winterization of my former 93 Hydrodyne. Had to replace the fuel sender unit and replace all the clogged filters from the tank to the carb. I no longer use it. As far as fuel going bad I go through it pretty quick. However, I have a 2 cycle ice auger that has had the same fuel in it for at least 4 years now and it started right up and ran fine until I shut it down and put it back in the shed last week.